Windows Vista First Impressions of Vista

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
using this system loaded with vista home basic and all i can say is its a complete heap of S***TE!!

i have never had a system lock up on me so many times, even doing something as simple as download an app, currently strugling with messenger, i'm on attempt No 4 right now!! and i'll prob find its locked up when i finish typing this and go back to it

the only things i have managed to do so far first time are install office 2003 and connect to my wireless

if i have any more problems i'm gonna stick XP on it :mad:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
maybe i was a little hasty in my initial judgement, turns out that the security centre was causing all the problems (WTG MS
bowdown.gif
) it kept having a fit coz theres no AV so i disabled the bit telling me and its now running sweet as :), also had lots of problems with firefox as well not entirely sure what was causing the problems though so had to use IE7 which i really cannot get on with

Managed to get all the apps loaded and the user accounts sorted and leave my sis with a working laptop, only problem now is the wireless connection keeps dropping every 5 mins or so, i updated the driver just before i left which i'm hoping has that sorted, if not i'm gonna test it with a netgear USB adapter

(as a side note, she has sky broadband and the router they got is the same as mine a netgear DG834GT which i thought was pretty decent of sky considering they pay £25 a month for BB and sky TV)

BTW what free AV scanners are there for vista ? i was hoping to use Antivir but its not compatible, they have a 12 month free subscription to Mcafee which i was considering putting on as it but decided to hold back untill i had a proper look and asked here as i know its gonna be a PITA to remove once its on there

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
AVG is free for Vista, but you get get Kaspersky AV for just over a fiver (around £10 delivered from aria). I think I also saw Kaspersky for free on a computer mag this week :eek: so may be worth having a look at that. :)

I'm glad to hear you're liking it a bit more :D I love the look of it, but I think my old XP installation was a bit more responsive so I partly wished I'd hung on a little more before I made the switch - it is growing on me though :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
nice one ian, completely forgotten about AVG, i'll stick that on for the time being and i'll keep my eye out for kaspersky though, and yes it does look nice but i couldn't get used to it in the few hours i spent on it especially IE7 that was just awful

Mucks it has the mobility center as i was playing with it which is odd coz i'm sure its only the basic version as it doesn't have aero :confused: think i need to have another look at it all

Ask a Question