Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Just installed W7 Pro 64bit on the following

AMD X2 5200 at 3Ghz
1GB of patriot PC6400 RAM
Asrock K10N78FullHD-hSLI
integrated graphics for the time being
200GB SATA drive

Basically i got W7 from uni for free with a genuine serial, not entirely sure how it all works but i just did. So because of that i though what the heck, computer was just sitting there doing nothing and its gonna end up with W7 on it when i get round to ordering an SSD

Being someone that's only had to dabble with vista its bit of a change from XP. Overall i like it, managed to find everything without too much hassle and have gotten all the important things installed this far. Hopefully i'll get used to it over the next couple of months and come the new year I'll switch over permanently.

Before anyone says it, I know i need more RAM. I could have sworn i ordered 2GB, I have 4GB on order as i type so should be here end of the week at the latest.

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You'll soon get used ot it mate, its very intuitive. :)

I'm loving every minute of it, its a joy to use and this is from a die hard XP fan / vista hater :p

Starting to really love the libraries for all my photos/music/vid/docs etc etc etc. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, you'll get used to it in no time :)

You'll also notice a big improvement when you go from 1GB>4GB!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
Starting to really love the libraries for all my photos/music/vid/docs etc etc etc. :thumb:

Hmm. I really must check this out, I do try, but organising on my system sometimes gets a little intense ;)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
It is quite intuitive, I've resorted to trying to forget everything i know and like about XP when using it. Some of it comes as a suprise to me though, i middle clicked a link in firefox forgetting i hadn't installed any addons and ended up starring at the desktop, seems it doubles as the ctrl-tab combination

Its still got some of those vista bits that i never quite got the hang of, the networking centre for one. I gave up trying to work out what was where, i'll have another go tomorrow afternoon.

It has got some nice features, like previewing the windows you have open in the task bar, i still prefer having all of them in a line so i can click the one i want rather than getting the preview then clicking it. I do miss the quick launch tool bar too, thats one thing i have to investigate how to get back

I'm actually suprised it runs tbh, the minimum spec is 2GB of RAM. I have 1GB and 128MB of that is eaten by the onboard graphics. In the 9 or so months i've had the machine its barely been used so i never noticed i screwed when i ordered the parts, oh well RAM is cheap enough

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
I do miss the quick launch tool bar too, thats one thing i have to investigate how to get back

Me too :( Within Vista I had all my games in a nice neat pop up row with one click, I liked that.

Within Win 7 the links to games are wherever Win 7 decides to put them, which is all over the place, at least three different locations.

Yes, I could have desktop shortcuts but I like an uncluttered desktop.

This is, so far, the only negative thing for me for Win 7 - no Quick Launch.

Also, several games, inc painkiller & Unreal, despite setting graphics to 1600 x 1200, open in a square window pane and nothing I've tinkered with can seem to give me a widescreen view.

This is something I didn't suffer in either XP or Vista.

I do have latest correct Nvidia drivers and it's not all games displaying in a square, this is niggling me.

Perhaps it's a driver problem? We shall see.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
It works. Although its not for me, i prefer the superbar as it is. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• quicklaunch.jpg
    quicklaunch.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 280

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
no need to install any 3rd party software to do something that is already there ...

... try, drag-n-drop.

For anyone not sure what to do ... click-n-hold, then drag to the "bar" on the bottom of your screen, release. It can be anything, shortcut, program, folder, email, the kitchen sink. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ummm, its isn't a third part app. ;)

Just that MS saw fit to disable quick launch by default for one reason or another. This just puts it back by pointing to the folder hidden within the users folders. :)

Dragging and drop just 'pins' the program to the taskbar, Flops and ME__2001 want the quick launch back.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
As V_R said i have stuff pinned to the taskbar but its not the same, i'll have a go at following that guide. Looks like its just what i am after

Cheers V_R

Reaction score
I have used that guide to set up quick launch and its fine. I can now set games up in a row just like I could do in Vista.

Ask a Question