File properties not responding

Sheetrum

About half the time I try to use right-click/properties, I
get nothing. It's just like I didn't click on the
properties menu.

This happens when I am trying to find out the size of a
directory. The information isn't displayed on the status
bar for a directory, only a file.

Even a re-boot only get it to work OK now and then.

Sheetrum

Carrie Garth \(MVP\)

Hi Sheetrum,

Have you tried booting to Safe Mode to see if the problem still occurs? If it does
not, the issue is mostly likely due to programs that are loading while the Windows
2000 computer is booting.

To determine exactly what program is causing the problem you would need to identify
each program that starts at boot, use the appropriate method to prevent those
programs from loading at startup, then one-by-one allow a single program to start at
boot and test for symptoms.

Programs that start at boot are added to one of the locations listed in the following
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Section: Removing Registry Entries. The following
article also explains how to safely remove the startup entries.

KB281770 - How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=281770

An easier method to selectively control startup is to use a startup manager such as
Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel applet. For some information on startup managers,
see the following post: