Taskbar and start menu properties box (not responding) in WinXPHom

Peter K

Recently I went in to customise a taskbar item in the "Task bar and start
menu properties", clicked OK then Apply and clicked OK again, the box just
froze. Had to click on the X to close box, another box comes up titled
"Explorer.exe" and the comment was "This program is not responding".
Clicked on OK to close this box. I thought this was a one off but tried
several times and same things happens, ie the task bar menu box will not
close off if I click on OK, but if I click cancel first the task bar menu box
will close. This means that I can no longer make any changes in my task bar.

I have Win XP Home SP2 with all the critical and non critical updates.
Computer is self built and 7 months old. Have not installed any new programs
for several months. Holding off on System Restore as I would like to know
why this is happening. Any suggestions please??

Peter K

Thank you for the suggestion. Downloaded and installed the vb file as
suggested and rebooted , but problem still persists. That is, when opening
"taskbar and start menu properties", if I click OK the box will freeze and
not close, but if I click cancel first it will close.

Any more fixes please?

Gerry

Peter

If Rey's suggestion does not work look at the System ans Application
logs in Event Viewer and post copies of what you find.

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer.

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
click on the error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a
button resembling two pages. Click the button and close Event
Viewer.Now start your message (email) and do a paste into the body of
the message. Make sure this is the first paste after exiting from
Event Viewer.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peter K

Thanks guys for the help and suggestions. I did try the devshed forum option
before but after typing "sfc/scannow" in Run I got a message saying that
"Windows cannot find sfc/scannow..." Also that option related to a
particular sound card, I have Realtek intergrated audio on my Gigabyte M/B.

I also tried the event viewer option and checked the application and system
folders but could not find any error relating to the taskbar matter, it
listed things I know nothing about.

Perhaps this is one of those unsolveable problems. Any more ideas please.
Thanks.

Peter K

Gerry

Peter

It's "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. You more than likely omitted the
space between sfc and the forward slash!

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elmo

Peter said:
Thanks guys for the help and suggestions. I did try the devshed forum option
before but after typing "sfc/scannow" in Run I got a message saying that
"Windows cannot find sfc/scannow..." Also that option related to a
particular sound card, I have Realtek integrated audio on my Gigabyte M/B.

I also tried the event viewer option and checked the application and system
folders but could not find any error relating to the taskbar matter, it
listed things I know nothing about.

Perhaps this is one of those unsolvable problems. Any more ideas please.
Thanks.

Peter K

Type "sfc /scannow", not "sfc/scannow". "/Scannow" is a switch so it
must be separated by a space.

pcbutts1 [MS MVP]

NO! leave me alone and stop telling lies about me, I am a MVP and have been
one longer then you now be a good little boy and get lost.

Peter K

I did try the sfc /scannow again but it says to insert the WinXP Professional
sp2 disk, I don't have one as I have Win XP Home sp2. Will it be OK to use
the XP Home disk?? I've heard that trying to update XP with a different XP
version may cause more problems.

Also tried the explorer.exe download from pcbutts and it didn't work either.
My problem still persists.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Peter K

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

pcbutts1 said:
NO! leave me alone and stop telling lies about me, I am a MVP and have
been one longer then you now be a good little boy and get lost.

My sources at Microsoft say you aren't.
How about a link to your profile page?

Alan Edwards

To whom are you talking to?
What is your pc "now doing"?

If you have a problem, then please give details?

....Alan
http://dts-l.com/index.htm

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 23:40:28 -0700, in

Ken Blake, MVP

Did you ever get a result. My pc is now doing this.

You didn't reply to an existing message, and you didn't quote anything
of the message you were replying to. As a result, we don't know who
you're addressing or what you're asking about.