Fallout: New Vegas

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This is one game I'll definitely be getting as I enjoyed Fallout 3 so much.

But: Xbox 360 or PC?

Apart from price these are things for me to consider:

PC has better game control though the Xbox gamepad works well with Fallout 3.

Xbox version I can play on big telly.

And that's about it really.

And the PC version is cheaper, here's prices from the suppliers I use the most:

High Street GAME Store:

Xbox: 40 PC: 30

Amazon:

Xbox: 37.69 PC 29.74

Play.com:

Xbox: 37.69 PC: 25

All things considered I'll probably buy the PC version from Play.com

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
have been thinking about it too, and i never played FO3.

Only thing that put me off is that i really wasn't the impressed with the graphics of it... IMO, it should be sooo much better.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
Only thing that put me off is that i really wasn't the impressed with the graphics of it... IMO, it should be sooo much better.

Yep, would agree, but they were acceptable imo, they certainly didn't distract from the gameplay.

I think it's possibly because the game was so long in the making what we have here is 2006 graphics in a 2009 setting.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Been playing this today and so far it seems just as good as FO3 :D

Did any of you guys get it too?

The graphics in FONV aren't much better, but the gameplay is very compelling - plus there are some moments of very funny humour throughout :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I received an e-mail from Play.com this morning telling me it's been posted to me.

Looking forward to it :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It arrived today and I was looking forward to having a relaxing few hours playing this.

But oh no, straight into the Steam folder it goes, update starts and I'm told the game will be ready to play in 2.5 hours :mad:

I really don't like that crap. It's either the publishers are too damn tight to supply two DVD's or the games been released unfinished and has been patched to the hilt.

And as I only have 9Gb left of my total monthly bandwidth this will eat a big chunk of it.

And what's more it didn't give me a choice of installation location it went straight to C drive where I don't have a lot of space left cos I only got a 300Gb primary drive (2 x 150Gb velicoraptors in a RAID 0). All latest games I've installed to my secondary drive.

I've always said I liked Steam but sometimes I wonder.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well thank you Fallout New Vegas, thanks to your inflexibility I now have this:

attachment.php

I wonder what would happen if I only had a small SSD drive as my primary disk?

Currently 31% loaded of update...

Attachments

• falloutnewvegas.JPG
    falloutnewvegas.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 410

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah yes FNV is a steamworks game isn't it, Can you not move your steam install to your Games disk?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
Ah yes FNV is a steamworks game isn't it, Can you not move your steam install to your Games disk?

I have no idea.

It seems unlikely, tbh, unless I do a huge delete and fresh Steam Installation, which would take up some severe bandwidth.

I'll probably uninstall a couple of little played games and re-install them to secondary drive.

Currently at 89% update :mad:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the links V_R I shall look into that.

that F3 New Vegas update/download must have been huge.

I had 9Gb of bandwidth left at the start of it. After it had finished I played CoD4 online for ten minutes then was cut off by my ISP as I'd used up all of my monthly bandwidth allowance.

I'll get another 100Gb at midnight on Sunday but I had to purchase a fiver's worth of bandwidth to last me until then :mad:

That is bang out of order of Bethesda or Steam, why can't they supply the correct number of disks instead of relying on folk to do an 8 or 9Gb download? How's about those folk on budget Broadband plans who only get 10Gb a month?

Wrong, wrong wrong.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you given F:NV a play yet Flops? I've played a couple of hours for the past few evenings, and I really like this game :D. It looks like there is some good re-play value in it too, as I've encountered so many new missions just by having an explore of the map, as well as making some big in-game choices which will no doubt change how it ends.

There have been a few moments that I've had to look up what to do on the net, which may be considered cheating a bit ;)... but if I hadn't done that, I'd have had to skip that particular mission.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Have you given F:NV a play yet Flops? I've played a couple of hours for the past few evenings, and I really like this game :D. It looks like there is some good re-play value in it too, as I've encountered so many new missions just by having an explore of the map, as well as making some big in-game choices which will no doubt change how it ends.

There have been a few moments that I've had to look up what to do on the net, which may be considered cheating a bit ;)... but if I hadn't done that, I'd have had to skip that particular mission.

Yes, been playing it quite a lot.

In my opinion it's every bit as good as Fallout 3, if not better. There was some criticism of the graphics, all I can say is yes, they're not equal to the very latest graphics available in some games but that they are very acceptable and pleasing to the eye, they certainly don't distract from the gameplay.

I think this game is harder than it's predecessor and there's more combat, so far.

It is also very easy to wander around aimlessly, not knowing where to go or what to do, which is what I'm doing now. For FA3 I used one of those guide books which cost me eleven quid but for me added to the gameplay a lot. If that's considered cheating I don't really mind, as the alternative is getting frustrated at wondering what to do next.

I don't think I'll buy a guide this time though as there are many walkthroughs available for free on the net. As yet though, I haven't looked at any.

I haven't come across any of this quirky humour yet either but it's early days, I'm still only in that town with the broken down old roller coaster, right at the beginning of the game. But I'm talking to everybody and exploring all over. Have also trod on a couple of land mines and seen a leg depart from my body quite spectacularly.

Verdict: A very good game, so far :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Totally agree with you about the graphics - it's a shame, but at least the storyline and gameplay is compelling.

If you're at the rollercoaster town, you should be hitting the juicy parts in the next few hours. :)

There are still some areas in the game where I get my ass kicked, even with 2 companions and decent weapons - so I'm sure there's still a lot of game time to come.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Ive been playing this game quite a bit since release. Definitely a great game.

Reaction score
Yeah excellent.

Just sent the ghoul thingy's in rockets. I was expecting them all to blow up they didn't Booooo lol

So much to do yet again...ARRRGGHHHH

Reaction score
I'm stuck now :(

Can't seem to work out how to get the solar panels sorted

Anyone up to this bit yet?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
I'm stuck now :(

Can't seem to work out how to get the solar panels sorted

Anyone up to this bit yet?

If it's the bit I'm thinking of, you just need to collect some parts from broken panels at an NCR base, then return to repair all the broken looking ones on the roof. If you look at the world map, it should show lots of markers where you need to walk up to some broken panels on the floor and use the action button on them.

Ask a Question