Explorer is shutting down and then restarting

G

Hi folks,

I hope someone can help me. Explorer is shutting down and then restarting whenever I go to folders that I have some movie files in. I don't recall it ever doing so for other types of files.

Also it usually does it when I have the folder view options at "thumbnail", or some other 'preview' type setting. The best luck I have had so far of Explorer NOT shutting down is in 'detail' view.

I ran the Event Viewer and under the one for Applications it says the following:
Event ID: 1000
Date: 7/31/2004
Time: 10:17:49 PM
User: N/A
Computer: *******
Description:
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2600.0, faulting module xvid.ax, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0003d928...

Are the previews trying to call on this codec or some such and then, because it's corrupt perhaps, causing Explorer to fault and close? Any advice here will be appreciated.

Also I run AVG anti-virus and spybot S&D and they do not show a problem, so far...

My OS is XP pro, 120Gig HD, 768M Ram, Athlon 1.4Ghz,

G

Thanks for that info Kelly. However what I ended up doing, and so far it's working, is to download and reinstall the latest versions of the Xvid codec. I also made sure that the old junk was all gone before I did that. So far everything seems to be working good so far...

Ask a Question