dvd dual layer?

Reaction score
Hello again, After the last lot of problems with my dvd writer i decided to take it back to the shop and find a new one which i did (same make better model) it turns out that it probably wasn't faulty but because of the extra ram it didn't need to work as hard as it had been. But any way i was wondering why my new writer not write dual layer dvds (i had the same problem with the last writer), i have the correct media for the task a dvd 9 disc i have also upgraded nero to nero 6 reloaded which is fully updated as is the sony dvd writer yet when i try to burn any a project that needs a dvd 9 disc it won't work i don't even think i recognises a difference with the discs. I have also tried using different nero applications to do this but none of them work. I have been told that it should just do it but i am starting to doubt this, has any one heard of this problem or have any ideas with what i am doing wrong? P.s. sorry for the length of this thread

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
In Start>Programs>Nero>Nero Toolkit>Nero Infotool - is DVD-R DL / DVD+R DL ticked in the Supported Write Features?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
With a DL disc in the writer, again in infotool, what does it show in disc info?

What make and type of DL disc are you using?

When you say that it doesn't work, what error message do you get?

As others have told you, the disc should automatically be recognised after insertion as a DL disc, and Nero should burn it accordingly - with the progress info showing 'burning layer 1' and 'burning layer 2' etc

Reaction score
With a disc in the driver it shows that is a dvd+r dl (dual layer).

Extended info
layers 2
speed 2.5x
blank capacity 7.98 GB
manufacturer id RICKOHJPN D00.
And when i say it doesn't work i mean it says your project exceeds a normal dvd but still fits on a dvd 9 you will need a dvd 9 media to record on.
Even though the dvd 9 media is in already it still only reads 4 GB.
So i say no i dont want to reduce the size to a normal dvd. and it adds another 4 GB the first 4 GB in green the rest in blue.
The next step is the burning screen when you go to burn there is a red warning saying like above the project currently exceeds a normal dvd but still fit on a dvd 9 but i need to insert a dvd 9 media and instead of wanting to burn it wants to write to a folder in documents. it only then that i realise its not going to work, do you know what i am doing wrong, also i am using nero express 3 to burn with.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I'm at a loss here, Nero is recognising the disk correctly within infotool, but isn't recognising it when attempting to burn your project - this is very confusing :confused:

Can you go to Nero CD-DVD Speed and click bitsetting in the extra tab - what does is say for DVD+R DL? if it is DVD-ROM try changing to DVD+R DL or vice versa and see if it makes a difference.

Out of interest what are you attempting to burn? Is it a copy of a DL DVD? Are you trying to do it on the fly, or are you copying to your HD first?

Reaction score
ok tried the cd-dvd speed bitsetting and it says that its n/a, i can't change it to anything as its not highlighted why would that be when it says on the box, the manuals and even the product websites that it writes dual layer? The project i am trying to burn is already on the hard drive i would prefer not to say what it is.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The fault may be with the file you're trying to burn.

To determine whether your setup works properly, try burning a video file bigger than 5Gb.

You don't actually have to burn it, just see if it will allow you to.

Reaction score
We have tried burning other project that exceed a normal dvd size (dvd 5) but with the same results. I still dont understand why it says in the nero onfo tool for cd-dvd speed in extras that dvd dual layer is not selected and why i am unable to select it. i have reinstalled nero several times and it has made no difference i really dont know what to do or what to try next?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread, kinda grasping at straws here, but have you applied all the latest Nero updates?

Failing that, I have not a clue. I can only suspect a hardware fault - the drive's faulty - but that seems unlikely.

A strange one indeed.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
murcury said:
ok tried the cd-dvd speed bitsetting and it says that its n/a, i can't change it to anything as its not highlighted why would that be when it says on the box, the manuals and even the product websites that it writes dual layer? The project i am trying to burn is already on the hard drive i would prefer not to say what it is.

You should have it highlighted even if you don't have a DL writer installed, so there is a problem there - I note that you have re-installed Nero and still have the problem, so I'm not sure what to suggest - could be conflicting software. Maybe try contacting the Nero Support and see what they say?

Sorry I can't be of more help:(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
nice man at your shop ... ask him for a Plextor

Sony Crap ... it is probalby trying to install a Rootkit Virus on your system and is getting peaved that it can't.

Sony recommends using Verbatim brand media with their writers.

Search the forum ... you will find Sony has more 'problems' than any other drive. ;)

Ask a Question