DVD drive changes to CD drive

Reaction score
I have two DVD Players and one is a RW Burner as well. All if sudden my one drive says it’s CD Drive, the other says it’s a RW-DVD. When I put a DVD in to it; it acts like its going to play then changes to a CD Drive. When I take the DVD out. It changes back to the RW-DVD. I’m using Cyberlink Power DVD 5.0 I’m running XP. I have replaced the cable. But no luck there.

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
Dayrob
Does the drive not read the disc?
My DVD burner "label" changes as to what type of disc is inserted but I don't seem to have any problem reading anything.

Covenant

Reaction score
It reads CD but not DVD. It says DVD-RW but when I put a movie in it acts like its going to play then changes to CD. This just started a few weeks ago. Nothing has changed on my system so I’m at a loss.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
On the same topic, I have a similar issue, although I've just been ignoring it as it doesnt cause too much trouble.

My DVD-RW drive used to read and write CD's/CD-R's as well as DVD's, although for a while now it cant read/write CDs anymore, just DVD's. I just put it down to age and overuse of the drive, as I have a seperate CD-burner in the system which i use for the CD's. I decided I'll replace it when it stops working altogether. ;)

I'm presuming that the DVD burner must have 2 different lazers (or maybe 1 lazer, with 2 different intensities)for reading/writing CD's or DVD's....i just assumed the one for CD's broke down.

Ask a Question