Don't Panic!

Reaction score
I decided today to go shopping to the local shopping centre as I do on some weekends.
Normally get their for 0730, but today went at 0700 and the car park was nearly full!
M&S was heaving at 0715 and only at the checkout found they cant let you buy alcohol before 0800.

How do posh winos survive?

Went off for a coffee and some other shopping and went back at 0900.
Well it will not surprise you that the shop was now bursting!
Some supermarkets are only closed for 1 day some would think it's 1 week!
Stuff was coming off the selves quicker than staff could re-fill them!
Oh and it only took me 15mins to pay!

At least the local waitrose was a bit more calmer!
But some shelves were empty, seem the locus had been in before me!
But i did get the cat some fish, she seems to be only eating that at the moment.
Yes a bit fussy but at 14 she does her job as head mouser.
And the finder of the warmest room in the house!

And then when leaving the car park people were nearly coming to blows over a car park space!
Is this not the time for goodwill to all mankind?

OK moan over!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yep its all a big joke isn't it :nod:

All for about 4 hours as most will be snoring in there chairs straight after dinner..:wave:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Chaos down my way as well. Traffic was so bad I actually got off the bus to walk. As for shopping, I did most of that weeks ago. And all my booze shopping was done at the local corner shop :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... you have a computer and you go to the shops? wow, how quaint. :)

:cheers:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The relevant point here is:

How do posh winos survive?

A very good point.

And to this end Toby and Lara Mendwell from Derby Mansions in Chelsea have formed a new charity 'Support your local Posh Wino' contributions welcome.

You may add to this worthwhile cause by the usual means, debit and credit cards but Harrods gift vouchers and storecards also very welcome.

Jemima and Algernon need your support, please give generously.

Crates of vintage '66 Sauvignon also welcome :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

csNG3.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
The Crimbo-Shopper bravery award goes to...... our Mr Feckit. :D

Local branches of the big supermarkets have been staying open until midnight. Today, they stick with the 10 am to 4 pm Sunday hours...... (Sunday trading was relaxed during the Olympics, but on the last Sunday before Christmas, they have to close...?) I predict mayhem.

I've taken the on-line route again, for presents and groceries... crowded stores are really not my thing. The old movies which depict happy shoppers, smiling and exuding festive warmth is, let's face it, a bit of a myth. The reality is that people will try to walk "through" you in their anxiety to force their way along an aisle or whatever. You can't really stop to examine anything, because some impatient person will be huffing, looking pained and will probably steer their shopping trolley over your heels, in their anxiety to pass.......... later you will meet him/her again, only this time, they are completely blocking the aisle, as they stand chatting to someone else. Apparently, you are meant to stand patiently waiting until they decide it's time to move on. Ugh. Don't need the hassle.

The good old internet, on the other hand, allows one to browse any prospective purchase, thoroughly, unhurriedly, and without having to struggle with heavy packages. Bliss. :) To be fair, this year, we've also had good service from the couriers who delivered the orders. There was one slight hiccup with City Link, but that was quickly ironed-out by Amazon CS.

So, to sum up, no traffic jams, hassle, standing in long queues, getting cross with other shoppers.... :lol: Yes, in all honesty, I do miss the brightly decorated shops with their loops of Christmas favourites playing over the audio system. But on the other hand, I can play a Christmas CD and look at our own festive lights, etc., as I surf, so it's not a big deal.

For those who enjoy physically going around the stores, I wish you enjoyment and the good fortune to find all the things on your shopping list. It's just nice to have a choice these days, so vive la difference as they say.. :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Shopping is such a strange activity and there is a huge male/ female difference.

Personally I can't stand shops and wish to be out as soon as is possible. Drove back from Rutland yesterday and the missus decided that she needed a few veg for Xmas day. So we stopped off at a local store and I was instructed to get some beers and wine whilst she went to get a few veg.

I was amazed how quiet the place was and had collected the said beers and wine in about five minutes. I then stood around waiting for the next 50 minutes as a few veg were collected. Trouble was that when she appeared her trolley was full to overflowing with a few veg and a hundred other things too.

Total bill for a few veg and a few drinks, £139 !!!!!!!!! In all we were in the store for exactly one hour !!!!!

I guess the wiring system in females is totally differet to that of the male of the species. :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I guess the wiring system in females is totally different to that of the male of the species.
I learn't a long time ago that this was so ... never try to understand why, accept it as written. :)

remember the phrase ... yes dear ... and all will be fine. :thumb:

:cool:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I guess the wiring system in females is totally differet to that of the male of the species. :D

I learn't a long time ago that this was so ... never try to understand why, accept it as written. :)

remember the phrase ... yes dear ... and all will be fine. :thumb:

:cool:

Where are Becky and Cirianz...? We need a show of sisterhood here... patronising males alert!! :lol:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I've taken the on-line route again, for presents and groceries... crowded stores are really not my thing. The old movies which depict happy shoppers, smiling and exuding festive warmth is, let's face it, a bit of a myth. The reality is that people will try to walk "through" you in their anxiety to force their way along an aisle or whatever. You can't really stop to examine anything, because some impatient person will be huffing, looking pained and will probably steer their shopping trolley over your heels, in their anxiety to pass.......... later you will meet him/her again, only this time, they are completely blocking the aisle, as they stand chatting to someone else. Apparently, you are meant to stand patiently waiting until they decide it's time to move on. Ugh. Don't need the hassle.

Coudn't agree more! I'm not a fan of shopping at the best of times, so I detest Christmas shopping. We tried to do as much as we could online this year, but had to brave the shops for things that wouldn't have been delivered in time.

Where are Becky and Cirianz...? We need a show of sisterhood here... patronising males alert!! :lol:

Hate to say it, but the annoying people out shopping do tend to be female - worst offenders are women with prams taking everyone out by the ankles, posh women who think you are there to open the door for them and never say thank you, and little old ladies having a chat in exactly the wrong place :blush:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Becky said:
Hate to say it, but the annoying people out shopping do tend to be female - worst offenders are women with prams taking everyone out by the ankles, posh women who think you are there to open the door for them and never say thank you, and little old ladies having a chat in exactly the wrong place :blush:
Aaarrgh! Yes, you are so right! The self-important ones really annoy. You're trying to find a birthday card (for example) someone else wants to browse too... fair enough, you step aside to "share" .....but they're not happy to do that, they want the whole counter to themselves.

Oh, and what about the guy who has been left in charge of the shopping trolley AND the children...? The guy who thinks it's a good idea to entertain the little ones by sitting them in the trolley and swinging it around 360 deg? Have you encountered him..? And I absolutely love the ones who suddenly stop, stretch extravagantly, and - if you don't duck quickly enough - knock you out!

Yes, shopping + other people = nightmare! :lol::lol:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Becky said:

Add to that the over friendly cashiers that want to have a little chat with everyone and anyone. That really gets my blood boiling when there are 50 peolpe standing in line and 7 of the 10 tills are close :cry:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Tescos at Lewisham is open today, Sunday, 11-5.

Hopped aboard the DLR and I got there at 11:05, it was a little busy.

By the time I left it was heaving and I think tempers were starting to fray.

Blinkin' hell.

Right, that's me done til at least the 28th then:

Guinness - check
Wine - check
Brandy - check
Lamb Shanks - check

Plus all the other bits n bobs.

Phew.

Shopping? Moi? Hate it.

Reaction score
Took my Mum shopping earlier this afternoon at an out of town supermarket.
10mins to find a car park space, did the shopping & 20mins waiting in the queue to pay.
And by this time the car park was a total nightmare and all for the shops being closed 1 or 2 days.
I do wonder on how much food/money will be wasted when it could go to the needy at this time of year!!!

Oh well it will be the start to the run up to Easter by the 31st!!!!:lol:

Reaction score
Hi Taffycat.
I know how you feel about shopping the hassle,the stress. that you do your shopping on the web. But we are losing the shops in the high street with people out of work. It`s the same with these self service tills in supermarkets. My wife and I will not use them because of that reason.
historian

Ask a Question