Phew wotta scorcher

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Some are saying today was the hottest day of the year, it was certainly on the warm side, reminded me of 1976. The only difference being that in '76 I was young enough to shrug the heat off whereas now it seems to be slowly melting me.

Took a ride to the Hermes Courier parcel collection shop locally to drop off an item I'd flogged on Ebay six days ago and on the way back took a snap which shows the state of most grassy areas round here. I'd guess it hasn't rained here for at least four weeks now. The 2nd snap is of my trusty bicycle which will never be a contender for the Tour De France, parked just behind where I took the first snap.

And finally a pic of a fire in Greenwich Park which had died down by the time I thought to grab my camera. The 3rd pic, probably a grass fire, was taken with My Panasonic Lumix FZ28 which has a good zoom facility.

351_800.jpg

352_800.jpg

997_800.jpg

Last edited:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the photos @floppybootstomp and that linky @V_R. It's amazing how landscapes are changing to interesting shades of brown, during this hot spell of weather.

It would have been a huge worry for us, a few years ago, because a field was adjacent to our property; it was a shrubby, wildlife haven for birds, squirrels and the odd newt! But very dry spells would become a nightmare, because fires broke out - usually caused by youngsters who thought it a great prank. They certainly kept members of the local fire brigade busy, and gave us quite a few sleepless nights (our bungalow being very close to the broad leaved hedge which divided our garden from the field.)

Anyway, the field is no more, having been purchased by a private developer, who built about a dozen detached houses on it. I must admit, we don't miss being on "fire-watch duty":nod:.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
It's been pretty bloomin' hot here too, can't believe I actually look forward to rain nowadays. We were in London for a last-minute meeting earlier this week and it was scorching! Much cooler by the time we got home, although it has warmed up again as the day has gone on.

That's a really interesting video @V_R, amazing how clear the effect of the heat / lack of rain is. Might share that on my Twitter feed *yoink* :D

Wow @Taffycat that must have been very worrying for you, I'm glad it's no longer a concern! Hope the newts who used to live there weren't Great Crested ones, they're a protected species I think.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Yes, yesterday was particularly hot and humid. Slightly cooler now after a thunderstorm which has watered the garden somewhat.

Getting hotter again as the day goes on and more storms forecast for this afternoon. :thumb:

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
I met this whacko when I was locked up who said that global warming was just a hoax, and the Earth is actually cooling off. He believes in a few years there will be snow everywhere. HAHA! :fool:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hope the newts who used to live there weren't Great Crested ones, they're a protected species I think.
Well they were, according to the neighbour who saw them. People raised planning objections because of concern for the protection of the newts, but... well let's just say that when a developer is "determined" nothing is going to stand in their way. Least of all, an endangered species. :rolleyes:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... it's hotter here today than yesterday, the weatherman has 'promised' us thunderstorms for the next few days starting at 6pm this evening.

I'll keep an eye on the clock. :D

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I met this whacko when I was locked up who said that global warming was just a hoax, and the Earth is actually cooling off. He believes in a few years there will be snow everywhere. HAHA! :fool:

Wouldn't bet against it. :D

No-one talked about global warming in 1976 when it was just like it is now. :D

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Climate and weather are two separate concepts. A life jacket is in the pocket under your seat. :wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Woohoo! Thunder! Lightning! Torrential rain! Rainbows! Green grass soon! Isetta bubble cars!

Global warming? My view FWIW: There is definite proof mankind's actions on this planet are affecting the climate in a negative way and I think of that there can be no doubt. However, I think certain factions tend to exaggerate the problem and scaremonger by making rash predictions of Armageddon based purely on mistruths.

History and our short record of the weather throughout time show us there have always been weather extremes from tropical heatwaves to ice ages, it's called the weather.

There is a problem but imo I don't think it's as bad as some green factions would have us believe. On the other hand though we have the Trump army who deny there's a problem at all. Politics/schmolitics.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
That bit of rain was awesome. Although I think I am better viewing it from my windows rather than going and standing in it like some sort of Messiah. Men in white coats might be around shortly :p

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... it did rain, at 9pm.

I closed the window, a little bit.

It's a lot cooler today, more rain in them there clouds. :D

Ask a Question