Discussion: The US Presidential Election

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
17362410_1691395154488424_3373558556979226330_n.png

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
It can reasonably be said that our dear leader is now the most ridiculed man on the planet. In fact, he may well be the most ridiculed man in history. For a preening narcissist who takes himself terribly seriously, being the butt of the joke heard round the world has got to hurt. The handpicked assortment of craven nitwits and supplicants that he has surrounded himself with have valiantly tried to insulate him from the derision. But they’re only human. Your heart has to go out to the ones doing the heavy lifting: banty Sean Spicer, the M. C. Escher of the English language, and Kellyanne Conway, the president’s temperament fluffer. (Look away from CNN, Mr. President. There’s something shiny and bright over there!) Engaging as it is to watch these overworked mouthpieces, I fear their days must be numbered. Comments about microwaves that turn into spy cameras and what should be understood when the president puts words in quotation marks are having minimal effect in reducing the scorn heaped upon their boss. Hats off to them for their tenacity, but no amount of spin is going to change the fact that the Trump White House, like the company its inhabitant has run for the past four decades, continues to be a shambolic mess.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/03/graydon-carter-trump-presidency-is-already-a-joke

"Sean Spicer, the M. C. Escher of the English language" ——— :lol::lol::lol:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
A Harley Biker is riding by the zoo in Washington, DC when he sees a little girl leaning into the lion's cage. Suddenly, the lion grabs her by the collar of her jacket and tries to pull her inside, under the eyes of her screaming parents. The biker jumps off his Harley, runs to the cage and hits the lion square on the nose with a powerful punch. Whimpering from the pain the lion jumps back letting go of the girl, and the biker brings the girl to her terrified parents, who thank him endlessly. A reporter has watched the whole event.

The reporter addressing the Harley rider says, “Sir, this was the most gallant and bravest thing I've seen a man do in my whole life.”

The Harley rider replies, “Why, it was nothing, really. The lion was behind bars. I just saw this little kid in danger, and acted as I felt right.”

The reporter says, “Well, I'll make sure this won't go unnoticed. I'm a journalist, you know, and tomorrow's paper will have this story on the front page. So, what do you do for a living, and what political affiliation do you have?”

The biker replies "I'm a U.S. Marine, a Republican and I voted for Trump."

The journalist leaves.

The following morning the biker buys the paper to see if it indeed brings news of his actions, and reads, on the front page: “U.S. MARINE ASSAULTS AFRICAN IMMIGRANT & STEALS HIS LUNCH”

And that pretty much sums up the media's approach to the news these days!

:D

Reaction score
A Harley Biker is riding by the zoo in Washington, DC when he sees a little girl leaning into the lion's cage. Suddenly, the lion grabs her by the collar of her jacket and tries to pull her inside, under the eyes of her screaming parents. The biker jumps off his Harley, runs to the cage and hits the lion square on the nose with a powerful punch. Whimpering from the pain the lion jumps back letting go of the girl, and the biker brings the girl to her terrified parents, who thank him endlessly. A reporter has watched the whole event.

The reporter addressing the Harley rider says, “Sir, this was the most gallant and bravest thing I've seen a man do in my whole life.”

The Harley rider replies, “Why, it was nothing, really. The lion was behind bars. I just saw this little kid in danger, and acted as I felt right.”

The reporter says, “Well, I'll make sure this won't go unnoticed. I'm a journalist, you know, and tomorrow's paper will have this story on the front page. So, what do you do for a living, and what political affiliation do you have?”

The journalist leaves.

The following morning the biker buys the paper to see if it indeed brings news of his actions, and reads, on the front page: “U.S. MARINE ASSAULTS AFRICAN IMMIGRANT & STEALS HIS LUNCH”

Reaction score
Well said. Yes it wouldn't matter if Trump turned the US into the best country on the planet the media would still crucify him. The same happens in Australia as 90% of the media is owned by the elite. Anyway as long as we know this we needn't listen to the media as we know that most of it is false anyway. In Australia we would be delighted to have Trump as our leader instead of the Lunatic we currently have. Great story my friend, it's so nice to actually hear somebody talk sense for a change.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's a story that makes sense? I thought it was a joke.

In the USA it may make some sense but here in the UK about the only newspaper that may take that stance would be the Daily Mirror or perhaps The Guardian. All the other newspapers - we are talking Daily Mail here but most others are much the same - we have here would probably praise the marine in the joke and extoll Trumps supposed virtues.

I am a UK citizen and I have political views. However, I don't profess to represent my whole nation and I certainly don't speak for every UK citizen. Nope, we got all sorts here, including lots who live their life embracing blind ugly hatred.

Tell me Dean, do you profess to speak for the entire Australian nation? I ask this as in your posts you appear to have said so, several times. I know a few Aussies, all of which have different POV's to yourself. There's Mick, a firefighter from Perth, for instance, I've known him more than 15 years now and we share pretty much the same views.

Mick thinks Trump is a dangerous pillock as well.

Reaction score
That's a story that makes sense? I thought it was a joke.

In the USA it may make some sense but here in the UK about the only newspaper that may take that stance would be the Daily Mirror or perhaps The Guardian. All the other newspapers - we are talking Daily Mail here but most others are much the same - we have here would probably praise the marine in the joke and extoll Trumps supposed virtues.

I am a UK citizen and I have political views. However, I don't profess to represent my whole nation and I certainly don't speak for every UK citizen. Nope, we got all sorts here, including lots who live their life embracing blind ugly hatred.

Tell me Dean, do you profess to speak for the entire Australian nation? I ask this as in your posts you appear to have said so, several times. I know a few Aussies, all of which have different POV's to yourself. There's Mick, a firefighter from Perth, for instance, I've known him more than 15 years now and we share pretty much the same views.

Mick thinks Trump is a dangerous pillock as well.
Hi mate, this is just my personal view and nothing more. All I am saying is that most Aussies are fed up with the idiots running our country and would like someone with a bit of integrity to take over. Time will tell if Trump is good or bad so I guess in a couple of years time we can all re-evaluate our opinions of him.

Reaction score

The journalist leaves.

Reaction score
That is the most accurate report on modern media that I have heard. 90% of media these days is complete lies. Well said.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have taken part in this computer forum for 15+ years now and in all that time I've mostly remained tight-lipped about politics. Therefore this talking about ones political affiliations on this forum is new to me.

For myself, I'm not so sure whether this turn in the proceedings is necessarily a good thing as I know I can become terribly prickly, outspoken and maybe even offensive when approaching some subjects, especially after I've sometimes imbibed a few vessels full of the dark stuff.

So I think I may return to being tight-lipped on some subjects ;)

But to nail my colours to the mast: I've voted for Labour all my life up until the start of Blairs second term when I realised we'd been betrayed and thus abstained from voting for at least a decade; I voted remain in our recent European referendum as I believe being a member of the EEC is beneficial for Great Britain; I think all religion is bunk including Buddhism and witchcraft, I don't need to be part of a collective mass believing in fairy stories; I like all people until they cross me and am of the belief that to be extreme right wing and embrace all humanity is incompatible; I don't agree with all of the current Labour Leaders policies but he represents the closest to my ideal at the moment, I think, for instance, we should keep our nuclear deterrent; and lastly I am firmly of the belief that Trump is a buffoon and his election frankly makes me doubt the integrity of most Americans who generally speaking I like as a nation.

And so far in this life I've liked every Australian I've met in real life.

Right, now I've come right out and said it, I shall very probably remain reticent to exchange political POV's in the future.

Y'all have a nice day :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Crikey !! It started out as light hearted joke but seems to have escalated into an intercontinental war. :confused:

Maybe discussing politics on this forum is not such a good thing after all. :confused:

Reaction score
I have taken part in this computer forum for 15+ years now and in all that time I've mostly remained tight-lipped about politics. Therefore this talking about ones political affiliations on this forum is new to me.

For myself, I'm not so sure whether this turn in the proceedings is necessarily a good thing as I know I can become terribly prickly, outspoken and maybe even offensive when approaching some subjects, especially after I've sometimes imbibed a few vessels full of the dark stuff.

So I think I may return to being tight-lipped on some subjects ;)

But to nail my colours to the mast: I've voted for Labour all my life up until the start of Blairs second term when I realised we'd been betrayed and thus abstained from voting for at least a decade; I voted remain in our recent European referendum as I believe being a member of the EEC is beneficial for Great Britain; I think all religion is bunk including Buddhism and witchcraft, I don't need to be part of a collective mass believing in fairy stories; I like all people until they cross me and am of the belief that to be extreme right wing and embrace all humanity is incompatible; I don't agree with all of the current Labour Leaders policies but he represents the closest to my ideal at the moment, I think, for instance, we should keep our nuclear deterrent; and lastly I am firmly of the belief that Trump is a buffoon and his election frankly makes me doubt the integrity of most Americans who generally speaking I like as a nation.

And so far in this life I've liked every Australian I've met in real life.

Right, now I've come right out and said it, I shall very probably remain reticent to exchange political POV's in the future.

Y'all have a nice day :)
All good my friend, I respect your opinion and like yourself politicians can make us all agro at times. Take care Buddy. Cheers and throw a shrimp on the barby !

Reaction score
Right I am going to have a dip at this politics stuff. I was a Conservative voter as a young person as my parents voted Conservative and I was in the HMRM when I came back to civie life and the Fire Service I changed my allegiance to the Liberals and at one time was a local councilor. During the National Fire Brigade Strike I was the National Fire Service Rep at Maidstone Fire Station and assisted firemen and their families to get Social Security payments from the DHSS, I have to say that they bent over backwards to help us and some rules were strangely miss read. During the strike I became a card carrying member of the Labour Party and have stood as Counselor in local elections.
I have now come to the conclusion that none of the major political parties actually represent the majority of the British people as the majority of them do not understand the the wishes of their electorate, the electorates problems or really understand what it is like to be the bottom of the pile is like and now the so called middle classes are finding the pinch. How can we have multi billionaires living in this country but NOT paying tax but the rest of us poor buggers having to subsiding them out of our tax payments.
PS. Good on you Mr Flops for nailing your colours to the mast.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I think this thread has gone too far.

People outlining their political beliefs was the very reason that politics was originally banned from this Forum and yet here it is in all its glory. :(

I think it is time to re-ban politics.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think this thread has gone too far.

People outlining their political beliefs was the very reason that politics was originally banned from this Forum and yet here it is in all its glory. :(

I think it is time to re-ban politics.

Well that decision lies with Ian & Becky.

I don't recall politics being banned per se nor a particular time when any reasons were outlined. All I know is religion and politics have been strongly discouraged since the get go which was around '99 to '00 if memory serves me well and I've been here since a few months after start up.

I've outlined my stance once, briefly, and as stated I very likely won't take part in any political discussion in future.

However, I haven't actually seen any bricks flying yet so I, for one, have no objection to political subjects - such as this thread - being discussed.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
After the success of the last topical discussion, we thought it would be interesting to have another - this time about the US Presidential elections.

We would normally avoid political discussion

My concern about this thread is that it started as a discussion about the US Presidential Election but seems to have morphed into a thread about people's own political beliefs and seems to have lost its mainly humourous style. As quoted above I have always assumed that politics was mainly a no-go area on PCR and was somewhat surprised when it was suggested way back in September 2016. However, the thread seemed to run merrily along for most of its life until recently

There was a good deal of interest in the US Election and people's general views on it but TBH I'm not in the least interested in other members' politics and for that reason I will not take part in this thread again.

Ask a Question