Crysis

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
As i said....

Hmmm, something still aint right, i wonder if your cards being throttled for one reason or another....

Tried running the fan @100% and see if it still does it? Wonder if its a faulty thermal sensor or something? Just set MSI AB to 100% fan and play a game, it will be a little loud but worth a shot....

Hate to say it but i'd be looking to RMA the card..... Its clearly not well......

You could post pics of your BIOS is you really want to, whats your PCI Frequency set to?

Have you loaded the defaults in BIOS, just incase you messed something up?

:)

CSB

Reaction score
A few screenshots which may help me :(
Yeah, tried defaults and all stayed the same. Maybe you can see something I can't in my settings.

Attachments

• BIOS 1.jpg
    BIOS 1.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 428
  • BIOS 2.jpg
    BIOS 2.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 411
  • BIOS 3.jpg
    BIOS 3.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Set your PCI Frequency set to 101.

Also for now turn off C1E.

Side note: 1.336v for only 3.7Ghz? Should do that on stock tbh.

CSB

Reaction score
Just played Crysis 2 after changing PCI to 101 and disabling C1E. only change I noticed was the game paused for a split second during some heavy fight moments, so don't know if it was because of hard disk loading or if the graphics card wasn't running full tilt again.

Attachments

• After changes.png
    After changes.png
    146.7 KB · Views: 177

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That looks better, but still not fixed.....

When you downloaded MSI AB, in the same folder there was a program called Kombustor. Install that too.

Then on the main MSIAB windows the 'K' (top left next to card/driver info) will be lit up. - Click it.

Run it for about 5-10 mins and post a screenshot, dont worry if its big i wanna see all of it at a readable res. :)

Edit: Sorry was late when i posted my last. Can you disable Speedstep too.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You did what i posed above right? Disabled Speedstep etc? Seems the card runs fine, but its still struggling in games i take it?

Starting to run out of ideas tbh. Can only guess it must be a setup issue you have.....

Worst case try reinstalling windows and see it it fixes it?

I'll have a look and read see if i have forgotten anything....

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
BTW, are you running your games with V Sync ON?

What happens to your GPU usage with it OFF is yes to the above?

CSB

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, was pulled away.

The above Kombuster screenshot was with Speedstep still on and I just noticed that the reading for Max FPS is 1641 with it on, then after letting it run again with Speedstep off and letting it go for 10 mins again, I saw the reading only show a Max of 578.

With my games, I have tried with V Synch on and off and things didn't change when using the same Nvidia driver you have currently. and I couldn't see any difference in how the GPU acted. will test it again tomorrow.

Pic below of Speedstep turned off.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

CSB

Reaction score
Yep, still having performance issues in certain games especially, I thought I'd even give a couple of my old games a try like Mafia 1 and that was only running at like 20 - 25 frames on the very first part where you have to help Sam and Paulie escape.

But then slightly improved on the next mission. Just ain't right though as we all know it should be running perfect with no slow down at all.

Just don't know what else to dol. and feel like just trying other things myself (if there is anything else to try) as I've taken up more than enough of your time already V_R.

I watched a review and test of the Asus GTX 590 last night, very nice dual GPU card, and very nice price too at £600 smackas. Didn't think Nvidia was going to release the next GPU so soon. Might have waited if I knew. Oh well.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
the 590gtx is a fail, i wouldnt trade one for my my 580gtx. I've seen a video of one blow up on stock volts! ati have the dual card crown again with the 6990 this time though, its cheaper and quicker than the 590gtx.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hmmm, right lets recap. Answer the following pllease....

- Games dont max out your GPU - eg: Crysis / Crysis 2
- Benchies and Stress tests do
- Not overheating and/or throttling, you tried running the fan @100% via afterburner and gaming?
- You tried loading BIOS defaults?
- Do all testing with graphics settings and res at maximum.
- NO V SYNC
- Tried new / different graphics drivers
- Anything else i missed?

CSB

Reaction score
Crysis 1 was a pain to play and Crysis 2 was fine even though it still wasn't using the cars full potential.

The benchmarks showed the card being used at 99%

GPU temps have been acceptable and havn't been throttling as far as I know, tried having the fan on max aswell even though it sounded like a wind turbine lol

Previously tried using Default BIOS settings twice

Tests done on Max aswell

No V Synch

Tried the 267 something drivers that you recomended I try V_R, did improve Crysis 1 a bit.

Have uninstalled previous drivers and installed the new 270, did Custom and clean install. Tried Crysis 1 again with Fraps on screen, was getting about a steady and constant 25fps which is probable low compared to what you can get but thats high for me and its now fully playable at a decent speed with it all maxed out in the settings.

Oh, last night I also bumped up the PCIE frequency in BIOS to 110 (range can go from 100 - 200)

First pic is whilst playing Mafia 1 (which has not been running as fast as it can, I've played it better on a much inferior pc some years ago)

Second pic is with Crysis 1 with V Synch Off

Third pic is Crysis 2 with the PCIE frequency bumped up to 110

Fourth pic is off Crysis 1 with new 270 drivers

Crysis 2 is well worth getting, don't mind the alien part in it now, reminds me a bit of when Halo first hit the streets.

Reaction score
reminds me a bit of when Halo first hit the streets.

I remember getting halo combat evolved on the first xbox....no other game has ever come close.
I played it for nearly 18 hour straight one time....my eyes weren't right for ages. But i was young back then lol.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Crysis 1 was a pain to play and Crysis 2 was fine even though it still wasn't using the cards full potential.

The benchmarks showed the card being used at 99%

GPU temps have been acceptable and havn't been throttling as far as I know, tried having the fan on max aswell even though it sounded like a wind turbine lol

Previously tried using Default BIOS settings twice

Tests done on Max aswell

No V Synch

Tried the 267 something drivers that you recomended I try V_R, did improve Crysis 1 a bit.

Have uninstalled previous drivers and installed the new 270, did Custom and clean install. Tried Crysis 1 again with Fraps on screen, was getting about a steady and constant 25fps which is probable low compared to what you can get but thats high for me and its now fully playable at a decent speed with it all maxed out in the settings.

Good well keep the 270.xx drivers they are supposed to be good ones. I've got the installed too, but not had a chance to try them as yet....
That said, i still dont think your getting the performance you should be....

Oh, last night I also bumped up the PCIE frequency in BIOS to 110 (range can go from 100 - 200)
Be careful about bumping that too high it can cause other issues, and worse case kill stuff.. Best you have a read around the internet about it. :)

First pic is whilst playing Mafia 1 (which has not been running as fast as it can, I've played it better on a much inferior pc some years ago)

Even though its an older game, i'd expect it to be using more than that... tbh we need to concentrate on high end games that will stress teh system as much as possible.

Second pic is with Crysis 1 with V Synch Off

Thats still well down on what it should be....

Third pic is Crysis 2 with the PCIE frequency bumped up to 110

Much more like it, not sure if i'd have the PCIE set that high though.

Fourth pic is off Crysis 1 with new 270 drivers

That looks more like it, what is the PCIE freq. at there? Still 110?

CSB

Reaction score
Hi Captain and V_R,

Wasn't able to get online last night. The PCIE is still set to 110. will change it back to 100 after this post.

I totally agree @ Mafia 1 performance. I'll also continue to use the more high end games to test.

Will report back later

CSB

Reaction score
PCIE is set back to default @ 100 in BIOS, did notice one setting in red though (pic below)

Is within the DRAM Timing Control section (could it just be in red cos I've changed the Mem speed to 1937Mhz ?. The rated speed on the Memory is 2000Mhz.

Ask a Question