Crysis

CSB

Reaction score
Right, bought the Maximum edition so comes with the expansion packs, but have only installed the first part so far and updated it with the patch that is available.

I was surprised the frame rates wern't better than they are if you want it running at decent settings. on max it stutters but plays fine on high or just below. I've read its normal aswell as the game is so demanding on hardware, why do they make a game if even the best hardware can't play it on max smoothly.

I do complain and I don't really mean to, the game does look fantastic with how many leafs and trees there are on screen at once etc, but I do find the alien part a bit rubbish. I could have just played Halo or some other alien based game if I was eager for that type of game.

Anyone else still play Crisis or are you all waiting for Crysis 2 ?. I thought I'd buy this Crysis Maximum edition as I knew I now had a system that could play it. Some people say it runs better in DX9 but how do you change it from say 11 or 10 to DX9 ?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I also recently bought the Crysis maximum edition after having sold the first two after getting stuck on the aircraft part close to the end. I'm past that now, on the last level, it's intense, on the aircraft carrier after the nuclear strike.

I didn't like the alien 'drift through the mountain' part much either tbh but at least it was a bit different I suppose.

Crysis 1 was very good, but flawed and it may have been demanding on hardware but it did run ok on systems of the time it was released, albeit at less than top spec res.

Summary: Good game; some stoopid bits; needlesly made to only run on high spec systems.

And there we have it :)

And no, I don't know how to make it run on DX9 rather than DX10 or 11. I actually thought the default was DX9 but there ya go, me silly sometimes :fool:

CSB

Reaction score
Bought my copy in a 2 for £15 from Game, other game I purchased was Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars with Kanes Wrath Expansion.

Will have a go at Metro 2033 tomorrow. decided to keep the copy Play sent me, even though what it says on the back. I'll post from my prison cell tomorrow night if they'll let me have a laptop lol.

With PC games, I feel its become very limited these days, loads of FPS and Strategy games but most are very much like the other and I guess its difficult to make a refreshing game as most areas have been covered like a thousand times already.

I question myself why I spent £400 on the Graphics card, for that price I could have bought another ps3 with a couple of the latest games. PC hardware is overpriced but we still pay it cos we love the latest improvments and building new systems.

I certainly don't feel like I've got £400 worth of gaming power here and I'll certainly think differently in the future and not give in to paying over the odds for the latest GPU release when 3 months down the line they'll release another anyway.

If I'm honest, I'd say I'm disappointed with the GTX580. was expecting more from it as its was the flagship model and most costly Nvidia chip out there.

Anyway, how did I get on this subject lol. I'm still waiting for Zavvi to send me another copy of GTA4 as the first copy wouldn't run without crashing or giving like 1 FPS, seriously I aint joking and yet look at my specs lol.

I have a feeling though it wasn't the disc and something strange is going on, but then it would happen to me lol. I've checked startup programmes and disabled all the rubbish thats not needed to run automatically at startup. I use the windows 7 gadget for cpu and memory usage, when desktop has fully loaded, CPU usage is about 01% and memory ranges from 23 - 28%. I felt that was a little high but maybe I'm wrong and thats normal for Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

Anyhoooooo, I promise to stop moaning and look on the brighter side. thanks for putting up with me :)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I play crysis maxed out on all the settings on virtually the same system, the only difference being you have slightly better ram. It plays fine for me, rarely dropping below 30fps, with no noticeable stutter. Crysis warhead has less graphic settings (only 3 to choose from) and plays smoother for it without sacrificing the detail.

Crysis are the best games i've played on me PC so far without a doubt.

CSB

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys.

CPU is 3.06Ghz Bloomfield core but using BIOS setting which Asus built into the mobo, it is currently running at 3.7Ghz. This is an auto setting called "i7 Crazy" so I havn't done any manual settings myself. If 3.7Ghz is considered "Crazy" then I guess 4.2 would be classed as "Fried" if that was an auto setting in the options lol.

The PC has never really had any problems running on this setting and the CPU temps have been quite low even after playing games, probably thanks to the Noctua HSF and air flow in the case.

I would have prefered to of had the 3.2Ghz i7 but was a fair bit more which I couldn't justify paying for as it was less than 200mhz gain but then I did dpay £400 for the GTX580 didn't I lol.

Just cause 2 runs fine on max settings and I havn't played much of Mafia 2 but that was running fine, GTA4 and Crysis have been the only games that have either stuttered to like 1FPS or slowed down to about 15FPS or less when it gets busy on screen, I'm going to do a test right now and use Fraps to get a better picture. maybe I should have paid the extra for a 3.2Ghz i7 so I'd have more to overclock.

Last edited:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
All i7 bloomfield's clock around the same, so spending the extra on the higher stock clock CPU would be a waste of money really.

Your PC should play crysis maxed out pretty well, what resolution do you play at? i use 1920x1080.

My i7 950 is at stock speeds but me GTX 580 has a very slight overclock with the Core at 800Mhz.

CSB

Reaction score
I left the resolution at 1024 x 768 and used Optimal settings which auto changed everything to High graphics.

Just used Fraps whilst playing and to be honest, there wasn't much difference in FPS when paying on the above settings to 1920 x 1080 and setting everything to very high. Very strange.

FPS ranged from 8 - 18 depending on if I was being attacked etc. FPS even reached into the 20's if I looked down at the ground or it was very quiet.

I've been using Asus Smartdoctor software to keep an eye on GPU temps (which again have been low) and for overclocking. I set the card in Hyper drive setting where its meant to auto overclock when a game needs it. Obviously doesn't work and was software that came on the GTX580 cd bundle in the box.

I've noticed something with this free Fraps software, no matter what game I play, it will never show anything above 60fps, but if I use the benchmark in Just cause 2, it gives you a much higher reading, can I really trust the readings Fraps is giving me.

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Something aint right there... :/

Just tried mine, maxed @ 1920x1200 with 16xQ and all very high, (motion blur at Med as it gets on my tits). Average FPS @45.

You sure your CPU or GPU isn't throttling?

Run MSI AB while you play as see if its running full tilt.

CSB

Reaction score
I installed MSI Afterburner, played Crysis whilst I left it running and here are the results in the pic below. The game stuttered like crazy at times still and the graphics wern't filling in properly if you know how I mean, like textures were missing untill they drew in properly.

I went into BIOS earlier before doing this and turned the CPU back to stock and the memory back down to 1866Mhz incase my overclocking was to blame. Just made things worse really.

The system don't like it if I run it in HD and have 16Q AA, just brings the game down to a crawl with servere jerkyness.

Attachments

• MSI Readings 2.png
    MSI Readings 2.png
    192 KB · Views: 4,380
Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
How odd. My machine is low spec (details shown on left) but the only game I've ever had a problem with so far is CoD Black Ops multiplayer.

Not sure what res I have Crysis running on but probably 1280 x 1024 at a guess.

That MSI Afterburner looks like a goodie, think I'll have me some of that, I know you've sung it's praises for a while V_R :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
CSB, your 580 aint running well at all mate.... :(

Its not maxing the card at all, it should look more like this...

Do the same again with other games, is it just Crysis that doesn't max the card? Try the Heaven benchmark, Stone Giant benchmark or similar (look in my sticky in the gen software section)

@Flops, yep MSI AB is, IMO, one of the 'must have' programs, again can be found in the sticky i did. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• msiab.png
    msiab.png
    149.8 KB · Views: 4,344

CSB

Reaction score
I download the Heaven benchmark, run it in Direct X 11 mode with v synch on and 2x AA and everything else left as it was at default. Stunning graphics and here are the MSI readings after I exited the benchmark.

Attachments

• MSI Heaven.png
    MSI Heaven.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 4,321

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
V-Sync on?

Hmm, I dont use it but am fairly certain ti wont make a difference, But again, Heaven should be maxing out your GPU.....

You changed anything? Do a fresh install of the GFX Drivers maybe? Try with V Sync off?

CSB

Reaction score
Yeah, there are some settings you can choose to run the benchmark in, and I first run it with v sync off which gave a score of 1220 and with v synch on and 2 x AA it gave a 845 score.

Maybe I should not just try re installing the Graphics driver but download it again ?. Although as far as I could see nothing went wrong with the download in the first place.

Havn't really changed anything other than placing the cpu back down to stock and the memory back down to 1866Mhz. Will bump it back up as I feel the problems I've had have nothing to do with that.

I did install Crysis onto my storage drive and first created a folder called Crysis (of course) and installed the game into that directory, as I have done with many other games aswell like Max Payne 2 and Command and Conquer 3.

Just cause 2 and Mafia have been installed on the SSD as it needs Steam and I didn't know at the time that the games have to be installed in the same directory as Steam or I would have chose the storage drive, as I don't want my SSD to get full of programmes with very little space left.

Reaction score
My system ran Crysis smoothly (at least the two days I was at home over Christmas after I bought it on the Steam sale thing) on medium/a couple of high settings at 1280x1024.

I am still using a Socket 939 single core processor, and a mid range gfx card from two years back! If you can't run it on high smoothly at 1280x1024 that surely isn't normal?

CSB

Reaction score
Thanks Reefsmoka, I might be a numpty cos I can't see where you can click on a download on that page for the hotfix ?

CSB

Reaction score
Just been watching some Crysis 1 youtube gameplay videos from other people playing on specs less than mine. I feel so fooked off, I was going to get Crysis 2 but dont think I'll bother now :(.

Still can't figure out whats wrong with my system, other games run fine

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah, there are some settings you can choose to run the benchmark in, and I first run it with v sync off which gave a score of 1220 and with v synch on and 2 x AA it gave a 845 score.
Lol, yes i know how the benchmark works, I was implying why you'd run a benchmark with V Sync on. ;)

Maybe I should not just try re installing the Graphics driver but download it again ?. Although as far as I could see nothing went wrong with the download in the first place.
Worth a shot...Maybe try a different driver? Try these

Havn't really changed anything other than placing the cpu back down to stock and the memory back down to 1866Mhz. Will bump it back up as I feel the problems I've had have nothing to do with that.
Have you loaded the defaults in BIOS, just incase you messed something up?

Also might be worth running GPU-Z and making sure the 580 is running at full bandwidth. (x16)

What PCI-E slot is the card in?

I did install Crysis onto my storage drive and first created a folder called Crysis (of course) and installed the game into that directory, as I have done with many other games aswell like Max Payne 2 and Command and Conquer 3.
You dont have to do that, though it makes no difference.

Just cause 2 and Mafia have been installed on the SSD as it needs Steam and I didn't know at the time that the games have to be installed in the same directory as Steam or I would have chose the storage drive, as I don't want my SSD to get full of programmes with very little space left.
You know you can move your Steam install anytime you like right? :)

I did it the other weekend, i moved my 200gb+ Steam folder to a dedicated 1Tb 'Games' drive...... Is one of the many reasons i love Steam, Do you have any idea how long it would take to manually reinstall, patch and mod all my games?!

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Ask a Question