Corsair AX850 PSU Concern

CSB

Reaction score
I was looking over my new sparkling Corsair PSU yestaday, when I noticed a strip of clear plastic inside the casing, goes right from one side of the PSU to the other and comes out at about 4cm, can't be no more than 1mm thick.

Is this normal ???. I havn't contacted Corsair yet or the site where I got it from incase this is how it's meant to be.

If it is, why is it there when surely it could get too hot and melt, catch fire ?. Also it blocks the fan from cooling the inside where the strip is also. See pics below.

psu1y.jpg

psu2.jpg

psu3.jpg

You can also see it from the mesh side where the power switch is, you can just about see where it folds over half a centimeter over the fan edge.

psu4c.jpg

Reaction score
i cant see from your pictures what you mean however it is probably just a insulation strip between components.
Ive seen it many times before

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I can make it out from the pix but couldn't at first.

Looks to be about 25mm/1" wide and quite thin.

I haven't got a clue what it's for though.

If things are working ok I wouldn't worry about it and it's hardly going to get hot and melt with the fan blowing on it is it? ;)

Reaction score
Ahhh yeah see it now

It could also be to direct air flow down as its underneath the push fan

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
WTF is that?

I'm fairly certain mine dont got that in it.... When i'm installing my new Graphics card tomorrow i'll have a look. :)

EDIT: did you say it sticks out of the side of the casing? Or did i misread your OP?

CSB

Reaction score
The edge of the plastic is folded over just a little bit, about 5mm of it and you can just about see that bit as it wraps over the fan on the inside on the last pic above. No plastic is on the outside.

I got it from Amazon, I never had any problem with them before I started this new build.

Seems very strange, why does this cr@ p happen to me lol, I had to send back the first lot of Corsair GT Dominator ram cos it was tamperd with and had been opened previously, thats all sorted now and I had a replacement unopened from Amazon as again they were cheapest with the ram.

I'm starting to think it was only meant to stay there before they built the finished product.

I did email Corsair earlier asking them about this issue. the site says they aim to get back to you within 24 hrs. I really don't want more hassel of returning another item, another trip to the post office, another issue of having to keep an eye it gets received on and a new one delivered to me.

Hopefully it won't come to that.

CSB

Reaction score
ahhhh, V_R, look at your first link for the AX850 PSU, if you blow up the first pic which shows the fan, it clearly shows the piece of plastic.

And on the second link, you can see another thin strip of plastic at the back of the inside.

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah yes i see it now, i couldn't make it out in your pics, i was looking for what i though was a strip of thin plastic. Not a bit of perspex! :p

Odd, i'll have to look at mine, i dont remember seeing it in my HX850.

EDIT: BEHOLD!

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...ssional-hx850-850w-power-supply-review-7.html

Corsair has also seen the need to attach a clear plastic fan shroud to it in order to direct airflow to the most necessary areas.
I have it too, but mine is bigger than yours.
laughingsmiley.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yep, never noticed it before... and i've had this PC for over a year! lol

Also never heard of it before, I wonder if its just Corsair that do it.....?

CSB

Reaction score
You learn something new every day, I'm glad I don't need to contact amazon now. I'm supposed to be relaxing as I'm using holiday time off work.

From tomorrow, nothings going to phase me. everything will be fine and dandy as I rock back and forth lol.

Only reason why I noticed the strip myself is because whenever I receive something new these days, I go over it with a fine tooth comb lol. I checked and counted all the Modular cables to make sure I wasn't short of anything.

I'm still awaiting my Asus GTX580 from Kustompcs with eager sweaty palms, what games you planning to use with yours V_R ?.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah your going for the Asus too, As you may have read from my main 580 thread i am now too doing the same. Should have just got tat one in the first place, I like Asus. This 480 is the Asus version.

My games of the moment seem to be Black Ops MP, BC2, Amnesia the Dark Decent and a few others. Black Ops mostly though. Am loving the Multiplayer atm.

Still got a fair few i bough in the steam sales i've not even installed yet....

The two banners in my sig are Xfire and Steam, if you use either feel free to add me. :)

Ask a Question