Coronavirus Preparation

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
There is some serious tinfoil in this thread!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
open source hardware and software projects that tackle Covid-19.

As well as the Folding Home project there are many ways that the open source community is rallying around to fight Covid-19. These range from commercial companies and educational bodies donating time, hardware and software development for free or zero profit to individuals making face mask parts on their own 3-D printers. There are too many to post so if you need cheering up have a search around and read up on whats going on.

I was particularly impressed with this offer from SUSE Linux,

On the software side, SUSE, the German company behind SUSE Linux, is offering free support and maintenance for medical device companies using SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) and related container technologies to address Covid-19. SLES is also being used by pharma companies like Roche and Merck to develop Covid-19 test kits and vaccines.

SUSE Linux is now a subsidiary of a large corporation who are looking after their employees and subsidiaries in a very caring and competent manner,

https://www.eqtgroup.com/news/EQT-Updates/2020/eqt-update-tackling-remote-ways-of-working/

Having a robust digital infrastructure can play a vital role in securing organizations’ business continuity while reducing the impact of COVID-19 on the work environment. Thanks to a well-established IT-strategy, EQT was able to quickly support the shift from its 18 offices to 700 kitchen tables ensuring that its employees can stay fully productive and collaborate seamlessly in the cloud, despite working from home.
Recognizing the imminent need for support in this field, EQT is reaching out to its portfolio companies to offer assistance through virtual training sessions and digital support around remote ways of working.

Shame governments around the world are not run in a similar fashion.

:cool:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
World Community Grid is looking to start a project dealing with Covid very soon.

Let's hope we can get some more crunchers on board. :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Folding @home are doing COVID-19 now too.

Reaction score
There is already a cure didn't you know?

"This weekend, Donald Trump used his daily White House coronavirus briefings to again urge Americans to take hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malaria drug that has not been shown to be safe or effective against Covid-19.

“What do you have to lose? Take it,” the president said on Saturday as he boasted that the US had amassed 29m doses of the drug. On Sunday, facing questions from the press about his aggressive promotion of an unproven treatment, he argued against waiting for the completion of clinical trials. “In France, they had a very good test,” he said. “But we don’t have time to go and say, ‘Gee, let’s take a couple of years and test it out, and let’s go and test with the test tubes and the laboratories.’”

He really is an animate object of no desire

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
This is the first time in history we can save the human race by lying in front of the TV and doing nothing. Let’s not screw it up!!!

AND

In one week, we've seen how healthcare workers, truck drivers and grocery store employees are more important than Football players, actors and the supposedly famous.

AND

Hey creative community! Just a reminder that Shakespeare was quarantined for the plague when he wrote King Lear. No pressure!!!

AND

Also highly contagious is kindness, patience, love, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude. Don’t wait to catch it from others...be the carrier!

AND

Still haven' decided where to go for Easter -- the Family Room or the Living Room.

AND

Remember when we thought we were going to have a bad week because of the time change, full moon, and Friday the 13th. We didn’t have a clue!

AND

Definition of irony: gas under one dollar a litre and no place to go...

AND

Home schooling going well – two students suspended for fighting, one teacher fired for drinking on the job!

AND

Maybe now society will realize we can make it without celebrities and professional sports... but we can’t make it without farmers and ranchers!

AND

Your grandparents were called to war. You’re being called to sit on your couch. You can do this!!

AND

Since everyone has started washing their hands like we’re supposed to, we’ll be working on shapes and colors next week.

AND

Due to panic buying, Lidl has just opened register 3.

AND

Pro tip: if you get pulled over, just start coughing.

AND

All these kids who have been learning Common Core maths are about to learn how to “Carry the One” from their new home school teachers.

AND

That moment when you’re worried about the elderly and realize that you are the elderly...

AND

I say we close down the media for 30 days and watch 80% of the world’s problems go away

:D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Folding @home are doing COVID-19 now too.

Yeah I posted about their fine effort on March 20 here on the site,

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/coronavirus-you-can-help.4075412/

371 people viewed the post and 2 people gave replies.

In comparison,

wQx2t5K.png

history-ancient_rome-ancient_romans-emperors-fires-fire_hazards-bwhn489_low.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think I have a cold. Seriously. Temp is 37.5, no dry cough but still....

I read of a 99-year-old and a 101-year old surviving the lurgey but I suspect it would probably finish me off.

Gotta go sometime I suppose :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think I have a cold. Seriously. Temp is 37.5, no dry cough but still....

I read of a 99-year-old and a 101-year old surviving the lurgey but I suspect it would probably finish me off.

Gotta go sometime I suppose :)
Hopefully it's just a cold, I guess you haven't had much contact with the outside world for a few weeks? No cough is good news!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
maybe it's all this sloth bringing me down.

Tut tut why are you not practising your Ti Chi daily out on your rooftop patio :p

My mate across the road had been feeling crock for ten days and was a tad freaked out. Went to the docs and was told he had flu. He is on the mend now.Seems there is a less fatal sort of bug around at the moment aswell as the deadly one.

I was laid low back end of December, thought I had recovered and laid low again early January, so I recon I have had the virus and survived. Was diagnosed with COPD last September, an I were puffing and wheezing, had been for some time. One day I felt a change in me chest and breathing was a lot clearer. I feel I had something that the doc did not pick up on and it sorted its self out. I definitely have COPD though but not as bad as the tests showed though.
I am still voluntary driving for the Welsh Ambulance Service three afternoons a week. Instead of two or three patients we are only taking one patient at a time and they all have very serious needs.
I figured that I have already had the virus and if I am wrong in that assumption and fall ill or worse its no big deal, I have had one heck of a ride through life and we all have to go one day.

:cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Gotta admit that was my first reaction when lurgey was announced - oh well, if it gets me it gets me, I've had a fair ride and done many things but to be honest in this life I lead there are definitely more good moments than bad ones still so if given the choice I'd quite welcome a whiles longer thanks very much :)

I have been sneezing, had the snuffles and feeling a little run down, a cold is just a virus after all so maybe that's what it is. No high temp, no dry cough, and they're supposed to be the symptoms.

I was diagnosed with COPD once but it turned out that was not the case. I stopped taking my heart meds cos stupid me thought I didn't need them; after a few years fluid built up pushing against my lungs (the heart pumps excess fluid from the body) and that gave me a feeling of being out of breath when walking up hill and stuff.

The Doc eventually asked me if I was taking my meds and when I replied no he tore into me a bit, gave me a right rollicking, lol He said 'We got you through cancer twice and you're going to be stupid enough to stop taking the drugs keeping you alive?' Fair shamed me he did.

All this life I've been thin and always active, I walk a lot. I've never been to a gym; practiced Yoga; run marathons or have ever taken part in any organised exercise except for 6 months in 1975 when I practiced Karate 3 evenings week so I'm afraid I'm not about to start Ti Chi whatever that is ;)

Tomorrow is another day - guess where I will be? :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

Ask a Question