Reaction score
And finally........

DFS.JPG

:D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
The Spectator offers free job adverts during Covid-19 crisis

This is a crisis like no other: the economy is crashing, with bars and restaurants closing. In spite of Rishi Sunak’s offer of help, thousands have already been laid off. Many self-employed and freelancers are looking at months of uncertainty. Yet at the same time, certain parts of the economy are surging – and hiring. Grocers and supermarkets are in the news, with Tesco seeking 20,000 more workers to cope with demand. A great many smaller companies are looking to hire as the economy reorients towards serving a country in lockdown. Some of the jobs are in home delivery, but many are not.

LAXImd9.png

0F1EAsi.png

:cool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm in isolation because I had a lot of contact with someone who likely has it at the moment, but I feel fine.
Looks like I jinxed myself, as on Tue I started to come down with "something"... a fever and a cough, so could well be COVID19. Don't feel too bad at all and self-isolating, so hopefully whatever it is will pass soon. Quite a few more of my friends have something now too, so it's spreading fast. One is an NHS virologist as it happens, so he's been tested and gets his results tomorrow.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, here's one theory.

Scary, scary.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that, as I can't imagine any reasonable nation would play with fire like that - nor would it be able to go undetected (I'm sure there's plenty of intelligence that would have detected this sort of state action). If the rest of the world economy slows down, China will suffer indirectly. They were able to respond the way they did as they're so authoritarian... contrast that to the "please stay at home" message last weekend here in the UK (which needed to be beefed up just 48 hour later). Although I'd much rather live in a democratic society, authoritarianism does mean that they're able to respond to crisis like this in an effective, but brutal way.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd agree with that, as I can't imagine any reasonable nation would play with fire like that

I don't agree with it either. Just something that's appeared and seemed somewhat interesting. :nod:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't agree with it either. Just something that's appeared and seemed somewhat interesting. :nod:

Yeah, it's interesting seeing how people view the situation - hearing Trump talk about "the China virus" is revealing. There's a definite effort to attach blame to them (rightly or wrongly!).

Reaction score
Ian,You were always a puppy,compared to Mucks,Flopps and I. I truely hope that You get well and stay healthy ,for all the years ahead,that should be a humans birth rite.Many never see them. My hopes are that You will.
It did My heart good, to see Neil and Tony still posting trash on the WWW.

I have isolated Myself for the past 2 weeks (except) a few trips to buy timbers ,for My grand Daughter's new bed,I am making Her.

My regards to all,from ground zero in NYC USA. Please stay SAFE and KEEP Your F***ing distance from EVERYBODY.
No once off's.It only takes ONCE.........
James

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
This is the most interesting article I have read regarding the science surrounding this pandemic.

Since March 14 deCODE, a subsidiary of the California biotech giant Amgen, has offered a free coronavirus test to any Icelander, sick or healthy, who simply fills out an online form. DeCODE joined forces this month with Iceland’s public health authorities, which had been screening high-risk or sick people for the coronavirus since early February, weeks before even the first Icelander tested positive for the virus.

"By screening healthy as well as sick people, say scientists, Iceland and deCODE have assembled a far more accurate picture of COVID-19. And the results are sobering. “The virus had a much, much wider spread in the community than we would have assumed, based on the screening of high-risk people,” deCODE’s founder and CEO Kári Stefánsson told Fortune by phone from his office in Reykjavík on Wednesday."

"Until they do random testing, he says, “they do not have the faintest idea of how and why it is spreading in the society,” he says. “It is as simple as that.”

"Stefánsson says that when Iceland began testing people in February, it expected to find infections among those who had returned from skiing trips to the Alps during the winter vacation, because an outbreak was then beginning in Italy and France’s Alpine region. Indeed, public health authorities did find infected vacationers. But Iceland also found a cluster of infections among people who had returned from England, as well as one from the U.S.—each of which presented with a separate mutation of the coronavirus. “As of yesterday, we have sequences for about 380 viruses,” Stefánsson says. The company plans to release the data on those mutations in the form of public databases this week."

More information here,

https://www.government.is/news/article/?newsid=f96a270c-66e8-11ea-945f-005056bc4d74

:cool:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Wow, 380 variations of the same virus. :eek:

Let's hope that there is a huge amount of cross immunity which will cover all sub-groups otherwise we will be getting infections for months or even years. :(

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

Let's hope that there is a huge amount of cross immunity which will cover all sub-groups otherwise we will be getting infections for months or even years. :(

It is rather like the common cold in that respect. Makes me wonder why we have not heard any news reports about the Folding Home project which is building up a picture of the virus and all its mutations. You would think that as we are all in lock down the government would be encouraging all of us to help out with our computers. :cool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian,You were always a puppy,compared to Mucks,Flopps and I. I truely hope that You get well and stay healthy ,for all the years ahead,that should be a humans birth rite.Many never see them. My hopes are that You will.
It did My heart good, to see Neil and Tony still posting trash on the WWW.

I have isolated Myself for the past 2 weeks (except) a few trips to buy timbers ,for My grand Daughter's new bed,I am making Her.

My regards to all,from ground zero in NYC USA. Please stay SAFE and KEEP Your F***ing distance from EVERYBODY.
No once off's.It only takes ONCE.........
James

Thanks James, good to see you on here again! I hope you are well too, it sounds like NYC is going to have a difficult few weeks - stay safe :).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

Yeah this is what I was wondering!? I am very much looking forward to when we know what happens to our immunity and antibody testing.

Ask a Question