Windows 7 Computer wont load

Reaction score
Not sure which forum to post this in as not sure what the problem is.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro running Windows 7 SP1. It shut down due to Windows updates and when it booted up again it just hung on the Windows icon but wouldn't load. Eventually it asked if I wanted to run a repair which I did but it said it couldn't repair it.
Using F8 I found that I could boot into safe mode, and safe mode with Networking.
I ran the System Scan which said that Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
I tried to do a restore to a previous point but it said I didn't have any points to restore to.
I then ran a CHKDSK which came back saying volume is clean but just hung for hours. I eventually forced a shutdown but now it wont load at all even in safe mode. When I try to load it, it just hangs whilst loading windows files.

What do I try next? Help.
(I also have no external drives or devices attached)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
As with many 'proprietary' built computers, you don't get a DVD of Windows ... which makes it near impossible to recover from disasters such as you are experiencing ... instead, you were expected to make your own 'recovery' disks. Your manual would/does tell you how.

If you don't have a set of recovery disks, then I can only advise contacting Toshiba, or, maybe install Linux.

:user:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
To add to what Mucks has said, if the computer came with Windows 7 installed it might also have a recovery partition so you could revert back to the factory image if a problem arises.

Reaction score
It does have found something called Toshiba Recovery Wizard. it gives a warning: When the recovery is executed, all data will be deleted and rewritten. I don't have a backup of everything, only some of the files and photos etc, but what exactly does this message mean? Will all files be deleted or is it just a risk that when being restored the files could be damaged/deleted?

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Will all files be deleted or is it just a risk that when being restored the files could be damaged/deleted?

It means everything will be deleted and the computer will be restored to factory settings, just like when you first bought it.
Do you have another PC you can connect the HDD to ? That way you could retrieve your data and then restore to factory settings.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. Yes I do have another computer. Will take a look. Its possible to backup via command prompt isn't it? As I cant get safe mode to load now. I can only get in via the repair option.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Do NOT use another PC to "backup" data off this broken one!

All you do is attach the hard drive, via the appropriate cable, to a working PC and COPY any data you can & need ... any 'programs' cannot be copied, you will need to reinstall them.

You could try UBD to gain access and maybe fix the faulty PC.

I would try the copy method first.

:user:

Ask a Question