A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error code:0xc0000225

Reaction score
My laptop is running Windows 10, upgraded from Windows 7. It has two drives, a SATA SSD and mSATA SSD. I boot it off the mSATA disk (the original, slightly better quality Samsung SSD the laptop came with). It boots via MBR, not UEFI. It used to dual boot with Linux on the mSATA drive. A while ago, I used TrueImage to move the Windows install from the SATA to the mSATA disk, and then gave myself a large storage partition (NTFS) on the SATA drive.

This does mean I'm booting off the second drive.

Fairly often - maybe half the time I shut it down, when I boot up again I get a big blue screen,

Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File: \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe

Error code: 0xc000000e

If I boot off my recovery USB stick, go to command prompt, run bootrec /rebuildbcd, shut down ... then it boots OK. Until the next time. This is getting a bit silly, I have to carry my recovery disk with the laptop...

Any ideas what could be causing this and what I could do? Is the two drive thing confusing Windows? Has moving the install via TrueImage stuffed something up? Is there anything I can do other than reinstall and hope for the best?

Reaction score
Back up often and be prepared in case it fails completely.
Then replace the drive if bad.

Ask a Question