cd-rom - cd icon trouble

Reaction score
hey guys! I have troubles with my cd-rom drives, I didn't observe till it is, but: when I insert a cd in the drive, the CD icon and CD name doesn't appear, it remains the same: DVD-RW Drive, or DVD-drive (I have 2 cd-rom drives, E: and F: ) - it doesn't show the CD name! but I can see what's on the cd, and everything's working fine. I have Virtual CD (Z: ), and I can't play my games, because it doesn't see the cd, you know? is there anybody who can help me?
thanks!

Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
are we talking desktop icons or the icons in my computer ?

Reaction score
sure - about My Computer icon's...I did'n say shortcut icon, but CD-rom drive icon...
any ideas??

Reaction score
Double click MY COMPUTER and you will see the drives
RIGHT CLICK on one and CREATE short cut it will then be on your desktop.

Reaction score
I didn't say that I need shortcut icons on my desktop!! read carefully upper please!! specially the 1st post!

Reaction score
First you say that you see what’s on the CD, and then you say you cannot see the CD
I am confused now.

Reaction score
For exemple:
I have the Windows XP cd in the drive, and in My Computer I can't see the cd-NAME "Windows XP", it's just like the drive was empty, I see what's on the CD, BUT THE NAME (is DVD-Drive), you understand?

Reaction score
Yes I understand a bit better now but not fully.
I have just done the same and all you will see is something like this XIOEM 20000304
Drive D or whatever
If you right click on the CD what do you see?

Reaction score
sorry, do you use msn or yahoo messengers?? we can chat there...don't u think so? give me your messenger account, to add you on my contact list...

Reaction score
sorry I dont. Ok so what you have to do is this

Right click My computer > properties>hardware>device manager>DVD=CD ROMS>right click on one > properties > this device is working properly / or not

If not reinstall the drivers.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Wise move, Itsme IMHO!!

I should clarify Rula. On this site, people will be pleased to offer support and advice in a transparent/online way.

Please post further details and we will see what we can do.

It's perhaps best not to ask for people's Yahoo/MSN accounts unless they offer them to you.

Gabs x

Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
so the drives work ok but the disc name doesn't come up like in the pic ?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 209
Reaction score
Thats what I thought but it gets to the point :confused: is an understatement.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
so the problem is it is showing the drive name not the disc name, i've never heard of this problem before now. what OS are you running and is it up to date ?

Reaction score
rula said:
hey guys! I have troubles with my cd-rom drives, I didn't observe till it is, but: when I insert a cd in the drive, the CD icon and CD name doesn't appear, it remains the same: DVD-RW Drive, or DVD-drive (I have 2 cd-rom drives, E: and F: ) - it doesn't show the CD name! but I can see what's on the cd, and everything's working fine. I have Virtual CD (Z: ), and I can't play my games, because it doesn't see the cd, you know? is there anybody who can help me?
thanks!

Me__2001 said:
so the problem is it is showing the drive name not the disc name, i've never heard of this problem before now. what OS are you running and is it up to date ?

A said: read carefully!
I have Windows XP Home Edition SP2.
I think I changed something from services.msc (in RUN...or Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services)...but everything's OK there...

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi Rula

Please excuse us but we are slightly confused by your post.

Please clearly state what your problems are and what operating system you are using.

We will then do our best to help you.

Kind regards

Gabs x

Reaction score
actually as I see, you seem to be (or you want to..) an advanced PC user, as you are, you should understand me now. My problem is that my computer doesn't show the CD volumes. how can I fix this?

Ask a Question