CD/DVD Burner Problem Urgent

Reaction score
Hi people I am new on these forums and need your help. I have a Tiny PC with a Sony DVD RW DW-U18A cd/dvd Combo drive.

I am having real problems with it. I was using Cyber Link Power to Go and got rid of it as i purchased the Nero OEM suite.

Have downloaded the latest updates from Nero.

The problem I have is that Some CD/R's are not being recognised in the tray when they are inside. Also using Nero they wont burn at all. I have also tried Audio albums with Itunes and get an 4000 error message. This problem is with Sony CD/R's and also Memorex ones. When i use Phillips ones it works through I Tunes and doesnt work correctly through Nero.

Please help. I read on other posts on here that when you burn Audio you should do this at 2x speed, do you think this is what is causing a problem?

Thanks

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
One of the Nero updates is for a PC with SP2 installed, are you sure you have all the updates required by Nero to function correctly? Have you tried reinstalling Nero?

As for burning audio CD's at 2x or max 4x, this is required to avoid skipping and readability problems on most home CD/DVD players. Majority of home players have problems reading disks burned at 8x or higher. Therefore it is always a good practive to burn audio at slower speeds. Some die hard audiophiles also think that burning disks at slower speeds produces better quality sound. :)

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
One of the Nero updates is for a PC with SP2 installed, are you sure you have all the updates required by Nero to function correctly? Have you tried reinstalling Nero?

As for burning audio CD's at 2x or max 4x, this is required to avoid skipping and readability problems on most home CD/DVD players. Majority of home players have problems reading disks burned at 8x or higher. Therefore it is always a good practive to burn audio at slower speeds. Some die hard audiophiles also think that burning disks at slower speeds produces better quality sound. :)

I have xp service pack 2 installed. I have downloaded the nero updates.... so shall i just remove and reinstall nero and see what happens?

Will this solve the problem of not recognising the cd/r in the drive. Also someone suggested unticking the enable cd burning box when you right click over the dvd/rw drive and select burning... shall i change this back to what it was?

thanks for your help by the way

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Well there is no harm and reinstalling, if there is a problem it will solve it, even the ticking and unticking the check boxes to know how things work will not be harmful in anyway, by doing this you will get to know the program and how to use it.

The issue of recognising the CD/Rs is a bit tricky in the sense that all media are not compatible with all burners, besides if you have fakes (they are so well done that someone who is not using them cannot differentiate between fake and genuine) they will give you probelms. Are you confident that the disks you have are of good quality? Try some Verbatims and see the results. Once you know which one works with your combination of burner home player etc, you should stick to it and use it on a regular basis rather than experimenting. I have found that Verbatims, TDK, Plextor branded, Taiyo Yudan are very compatible and work with almost anycombination of burner and player.

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Well there is no harm and reinstalling, if there is a problem it will solve it, even the ticking and unticking the check boxes to know how things work will not be harmful in anyway, by doing this you will get to know the program and how to use it.

The issue of recognising the CD/Rs is a bit tricky in the sense that all media are not compatible with all burners, besides if you have fakes (they are so well done that someone who is not using them cannot differentiate between fake and genuine) they will give you probelms. Are you confident that the disks you have are of good quality? Try some Verbatims and see the results. Once you know which one works with your combination of burner home player etc, you should stick to it and use it on a regular basis rather than experimenting. I have found that Verbatims, TDK, Plextor branded, Taiyo Yudan are very compatible and work with almost anycombination of burner and player.

I will reinstall tonight and see if it helps. The ones i have bought are Phillips, also Memorex from Woolworths so will try and get some verbie ones!

Will keep you posted. Shall I re tick the "enable the cd burning on this drive box again" through right clicking over the drive in my computer and then through the burning tab!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
chelseadaft said:
I will reinstall tonight and see if it helps. The ones i have bought are Phillips, also Memorex from Woolworths so will try and get some verbie ones!

Will keep you posted. Shall I re tick the "enable the cd burning on this drive box again" through right clicking over the drive in my computer and then through the burning tab!

Memorex are known to a bit finicky, Verbatims, the Metal AZO types are very good, I also found Verbatim Blue Diamond's are not bad also.

Yes you should enable cd burning and see what the results are. For audio burning stick to max 4 x. :)

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Memorex are known to a bit finicky, Verbatims, the Metal AZO types are very good, I also found Verbatim Blue Diamond's are not bad also.

Yes you should enable cd burning and see what the results are. For audio burning stick to max 4 x. :)

Hi there, ok re installed NERO and updated it. Re-ticked the box to enable cd burning on this drive. So should be ready to roll but as to setting the program to burn at 2x i am confused.

How do i set this up?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
When you are burning the disk you get the option of speed at which you want to burn, simply select 2x or 4x and it should do the job. :)

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
When you are burning the disk you get the option of speed at which you want to burn, simply select 2x or 4x and it should do the job. :)

i get maximum 16x or 24x ??

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
... choose 4x ;)

Sony make crap writers

thats what i mean, i am getting either 16 x or 24 x as options

can you talk me through how i adjust this? sorry to be a pain the you know what but its doing my head in

thanks

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
It's strange that Nero is only displaying 16x and 24x as write speeds. Both my CD and DVD writers allow me to choose 2x upwards to 32x (max. speed.)

Ask a Question