Burning CD problem Sony CRX320EE and Nero 6.3.1.26

Reaction score
I hope somebody can help.
I'm running Windows XP 5.1 and have a Sony CRX320EE R/W which used to all work fine burning CDs.
Now, for some reason, I either start to burn and it crashes, or can't get the thing to burn at all.

When I start Nero, it says "This application has detected that your drive is not in DMA mode". I open the Nero DMA manager, check the box for the Sony drive and restart like it says, but the same error msg comes up again.

If I ignore it and just open the Nero Express application i can drag and drop the songs I want to burn. The thing kicks off and buffers and all that jazz and then aborts. Some discs have all the track records, but only bits of the songs, or just nothing on the disc at all {but I cant reuse it again later).

I've gone through a stack of discs and so have a great "used cd" collection of coasters which I will likely get sick of and they'll end up as landfill somewhere.

Can anybody help?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Try un-installing the drivers for the drive and then re-installing them.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
yeah. this thing is driving me insane trying to work this out.
Driver re-install did nothing. Another cd bites the dust.

Reaction score
danztommy said:
I hope somebody can help.
I'm running Windows XP 5.1 and have a Sony CRX320EE R/W which used to all work fine burning CDs.
Now, for some reason, I either start to burn and it crashes, or can't get the thing to burn at all.

When I start Nero, it says "This application has detected that your drive is not in DMA mode". I open the Nero DMA manager, check the box for the Sony drive and restart like it says, but the same error msg comes up again.

If I ignore it and just open the Nero Express application i can drag and drop the songs I want to burn. The thing kicks off and buffers and all that jazz and then aborts. Some discs have all the track records, but only bits of the songs, or just nothing on the disc at all {but I cant reuse it again later).

I've gone through a stack of discs and so have a great "used cd" collection of coasters which I will likely get sick of and they'll end up as landfill somewhere.

Can anybody help?

Try the link below,

http://www.onthegosoft.com/dma_setting_nt.htm

Reaction score
Will try that. But 1st- progress:
I found the site with firmware update for the CRX320EE not on the Sony site but via google!
After updating the firmware to nyk4 from nyk3 I no longer get the DMA thing when I open Nero.
I also downloaded iTunes and managed to burn a cd {at 2 times speed} with that. Success I thought!
But the CD has skips in some of the tracks as though it was a scratched record {anybody remember vinyl?}
Anyway- that was before I downloaded the firmware.
So I'll try to burn another disc. Here's hoping!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Either borrow a working drive or buy one, they are cheap as chips and it will do as a spare if not needed at the moment. See if that works. If it does you probably have a duff drive. If the othere drive does not work you most probably have a software problem. Have you done a virus check?

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This used to be a very common problem but is not seen so often these days.

Try looking at this guide, it may help: DMA

And another link to look at

If you still don't get sorted consider buying a new burner, you can pick up a good one with Lightscribe capability for less than £25.00.

Reaction score
Problem's getting worse as the silly thing now finds it hard to read discs and even "skips" when playing back bought cd's.
I didnt think a CD drive could "wear out" But I guess I'm wrong.
Will have to get a new one and try it out.

Reaction score
danztommy said:
Problem's getting worse as the silly thing now finds it hard to read discs and even "skips" when playing back bought cd's.

It is very common for disk drive to fail I have had quite a few fail on me before, I would try another drive and see if it works.

Reaction score
danztommy said:

Everything with a working part will eventually wear out or break..How long it takes to happen all depends on how well the equipment is maintained or abused/used..

Ask a Question