Can't get a picture when connected through hdmi

Reaction score
I have an Acer Aspire m3640 desktop, recently I have got a samsung hd tv. I had my normal 19" monitor running via the vga on the graphics card I then tried to connect my tv via the hdmi slot at the top of the pc. The tv picks up that theres something plugged in but just displays "no signal" I then went into the NVIDIA control panel and clicked the "set up multiple displays" but can't find the tv to use as an additional monitor, I then clicked on rigirous search to try and find it but nothing it then asks do I want to enable the tv output which i click yes but still nothing. Help please this is really getting annoying.

Reaction score
running via the vga on the graphics card

You must TURN OFF the PC disconnect the VGA cable then Connect the HDMI cable switch the PC back on and it should pick-up the TV you can`t have both connected at a time.

Reaction score
Ah right, the top card also has a vga on there aswell does this mean I could run them split screen or not as was thinking of keeping the 19" to have itunes running on all the time then the tv for everything else. I'll try that in a sec then to see if it works

Reaction score
Shane206 said:
Ah right, the top card also has a vga on there aswell does this mean I could run them split screen or not as was thinking of keeping the 19" to have itunes running on all the time then the tv for everything else. I'll try that in a sec then to see if it works

No you either have HDMI or VGA

Reaction score
I ain`t heard of anyone having both I may be wrong but I have tried both on at the same time but no joy I use HDMI or VGA

Reaction score
Tried switching it off then unplugging vga and plugging in hdmi but nothing. Would a picture of the back of the pc help atall?

Reaction score
Shane206 said:
Tried switching it off then unplugging vga and plugging in hdmi but nothing. Would a picture of the back of the pc help atall?

Not really.

Do this turn PC off, unplug the HDMI> plug the VGA cable back in boot the PC when up and running have a look at the settings for HDMI make sure it is enabled> TURN OFF the PC disconnect the VGA cable then Connect the HDMI cable switch the PC back on and it should pick-up the TV. Read the TV manual to verify this:nod: what make and model TV do you have as that would help me to help you further:)

Reaction score
Not sure how to check the hdmi is on exactly only really started messing about with this stuff lately I've ran split screen off a laptop before but thats easy. I clicked yes when it mentioned something about a tv output card but thats it dunno how to check that it's definatley on. The tv is a Samsung LE26A456C.

Cheers
Shane

Reaction score
I will have a look tomorrow I have to go and do something now but have a look at the manual. Also what OS you using XP> Vista?

Just dont put both connections together.;)

Reaction score
Ah ok, no worries no rush lol thanks for the help so far :) Using vista .

Haha yeah that may not go well I work for the electricity board so know the results when you stick the wrong wires together :p

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
It could be that your TV simply has a different signal,

My 37" Toshiba LCD doesn't work on an ATI 3850 with a HDMI dongle.

Reaction score
Ok had a think do this put the TV on [not connected to the PC] go to input on the hand control of the TV you will see AV1> AV2> HDMI> TV Etc: choose HDMI then do as I have said and when the PC boots up you will have a picture.:nod:

Reaction score
Tried that lol, I also had a think I tried moving the vga from the bottom one to the top to see if that workd but still nothing so my guess is as said above tv isnt compatible or the tv output card isnt switching on properly. Dunno how to find this though to check

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So is the HDMI connector deffo connected to something inside the PC? Try another HDMI lead? Its a digital signal so its 'on or off' maybe its dead?

I've just got a Panny 37" which i will be hooking up to the PC via DVI>HDMI so will see how that goes and let you know. :)

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Its funny my Samsung worked off of HDMI with ATI Cards but no my Toshiba.

Works fine with Nvidia products, PS3, XBox 360.

Reaction score
Reading reviews it is compatible but has to be set-up correctly:user:

Post a Picture of the PC rear and I will see whats what.:wave:

Ask a Question