4K resolution via Displayport cable issues

Reaction score
Alright guys!
Was wondering if anyone could help me out with this.
I have a Panasonic TX-L65WT600 connected to my gaming PC in my lounge and for the most part it is absolutely amazing. However when I connect it with an HDMI cable I get all the resolution options I want for the desktop display, but only 30FPS in games due to the bandwith restrictions of HDMI 1.4.

Due to this, I bought a displayport cable and connected it (for up to 60FPS). It all works fine, but the desktop resolution of 4k is way too small to see icons etc, and Windows 7's scaling options are awful (scaling text up to 200% is ok, but some applications just don't like it - text gets overlayed against itself etc).

Basically I want to have the desktop resolution at 1080p, but it seems Displayport can't do this, as the resolution options are all weird ones (starting at 1600x600 and immediately jumping to 2048x768. The options available are all weird ratios until I get to 3840x2160.

I then tried to create a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel (I'm using a 780Ti) of 1920x1080 and it just crashed the display driver and the TV turned into two seperate panels on the same screen. I think this is due to the way Displayport sees the monitor vs how HDMI sees it.

This is really annoying, as Steam, Origin etc do not scale well with a 4k desktop (TONS of unused space on screen and TINY text!)

I just want a 1080p size desktop with the ability to play 4K in games. This works on HDMI but not displayport. Looks like I'm going to have to live with upscaled windows text to play games in 4K until HDMI 2.0 graphics cards are released!

Any ideas??
Thanks in advance, and I hope this makes sense!

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Buy a 1080p TV the rest of us peasants! :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Another option could be Windows 8.1 :eek:, as that does handle scaling better (mainly due to high res tablets) - although it's far from perfect!

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/.../15/windows-8-1-dpi-scaling-enhancements.aspx

Alternatively, could you leave the HDMI and displayport both connected and just switch between the two on the TV? Would it then jump resolutions for you automatically when it detects the device change (although it may cockup icon placement)?

Ask a Question