Monitors, HDMI etc.

Reaction score
Hi haven't posted for some time, so obviously have had no problems (yeah right).

Am looking at upgrading to a flat panel from the old CRT.I have a Cyberpower Dual Core with a GeForce GT 7600 card.

The Samsung SM226BW seems to come out quite well in reviews, and I recently bought a 19" Samsung LCDTV for the bedroom, which also has VGA and HDMI inputs. Quality output via VGA from the laptop is quite good, and also from the XBox 360, and DVDs on my Teac amplifier with HDMI output, although it doesn't play HD disks, but upscales very well.

Now, the question is, HDMI seems to be the way things are going, but most of the best reviewed monitors only have DVI. The best one which does have HDMI, appears to be the HannsG HG216DP, but it's got 1000:1 contrast ratio and 5ms response, whereas the new LG Flatron for example, has up to 5000:1 contrast ratio and 2ms response, but only DVI.
The other question is, obviously there's no point to an HDMI input without an HD source ( although presumably there would be upscaling with a DVi to HDMI lead?) so again to get full benefit would it be best to find a graphics card with HDMI output, or at least HD-compatible? Again, I haven't found any yet among the best reviewed ones in mags - e.g. Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3850 Pro ( why HD?) The other variable is that my teenagers tell me their games like World of Warcraft would run better with a DirectX 10.0, and this one has 10.1. Also, I understand that from the games point of view the response time is important.

So many questions! Can anyone guide me through this confusing labyrinth?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Some nicew gentle reading to be had in Bex's News section down at the bottom of the forum page . 8800 GT cards are very good but the 3800 range get some good reviews .

happywave.gif

Ask a Question