Can't change View Source program in IE6

Mr. Clean

I have IE version: 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633

I ham trying to set the View Source editor to
"C:\Program Files\EditPad\EditPad.exe"

I set the Default value in this key to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\

"C:\Program Files\EditPad\EditPad.exe"

But it only opens in Notepad. I do not have a shortcut to EditPad or
notepad on my ddesktop and have cleared my TIF and have rebooted.

What have I overlooked???

Don Varnau

Some programs (eg. Word) require a number of registry changes to become the
default HTML editor.

I saw this hack somewhere. You might try it if you want EditPad to replace
Notepad for all purposes.

Create a restore point and find Notepad.exe (C:\WINNT ?) Rename it. Install
EditPad to that directory. Name the editpad executable Notepad.exe.

See if that works.

Don

Don Varnau

Must be an XP feature. ;-)

Don
WindowsME

Mike Burgess said:
Don,
Just a thought .....
Tweak UI also has that option to change the program used for "View Source"
Don Varnau said:
Some programs (eg. Word) require a number of registry changes to become the
default HTML editor.

I saw this hack somewhere. You might try it if you want EditPad to replace
Notepad for all purposes.

Create a restore point and find Notepad.exe (C:\WINNT ?) Rename it. Install
EditPad to that directory. Name the editpad executable Notepad.exe.

See if that works.

Don

Mr. Clean said:
[at]varnau[dot]org> says...
Hi,
The Folder Options> File Types section of this article may help.
163606 - Changing Source Code Editor in Internet Explorer:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;163606

Don

That does not do it. The Edit icon in the toolbar is disabled and the

I modified HTM AND HTML file types.

Mike Burgess

Don,
WindowsME"
ouch! ...... LOL
Mike Burgess [MVP Windows Shell\User] http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 03-15-04]
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
--

Don Varnau said:
Must be an XP feature. ;-)

Don