Call of Duty - World War II?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I shall yes, I have it pre-loaded, though tbh I'm not holding out much hope for it...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got it downloading atm - I was going to skip it as I thought it was only going to be a short beta, but as it's "only" 14GB then I can't see any harm in downloading it just in case I fancy giving it a shot :). I hold out some hope that it'll be good :lol:.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
This just went live a day early! :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So I played a couple of hours of this last night, here are my initial thoughts.

Its not terrible, but its nothing groundbreaking. Its your typical CoD arena shooter style affair, just set in WWII.

It runs well, mostly, and having proper PC settings, like FOV, max FPS etc is a welcome change from previous CoD games. A full set of graphics options too, which is nice.

I don't think the graphics are anything special, but they're not bad.

Gun play is ok, not a huge skill curve, not much recoil etc. Very run and gun.

The 'War' game mode seems like it could be good.

Its £45 on Steam, in my eye's its not worth anywhere near that. £20 tops.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Its not terrible

There's a quote for the box :lol:

I'm yet to try it, but I'm hoping to give it a whirl tomorrow. Even if it's good, there's no way I'd pay £45 for it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
First impressions: Looking good

I think I gotta have this, 6 hour single player campaign and the multiplayer looks good.

It's about time I played something else online other than CoD4.

EDIT: Just read V_R's mini review. Hmm, must seek out 2nd opinions elsewhere before committing then.

It probably won't come down to £20 until at least 18 months away.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh dear. This game has been slated just about everywhere. You'd be hard pushed to find a positive review from Steam users, just a long list of red thumbs down icons. And a 3.2 user score at Meta Critic.

Looks like V_R's summing up is accurate then and I don't suppose the game having lootboxes and microtransactions helps matters, how greedy can games publishers be?

So glad I didn't buy it, as I mentioned, it's sensible to wait rather than pre-purchasing.

So, along with Wolfenstein, that's two major releases lately that have been a bit rubbish. On a positive note I'm quite enjoying Assassins Creed Origins, it's running well and looks to be a good game, even though I'm finding it quite difficult even on easy setting. But pretty good for a cost of zero :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

D6l8fu1.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like that guy liked the game :lol:. It's a shame there are so may cut-scenes during the missions, rather than actual control of the character.

Are you still playing it multiplayer @V_R ?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! :eek:

Seems about right though from the observations I've made so far.

Seems like Activision just churned this out and relied on the strength of the franchise name to guarantee sales.

But poor sales = rough justice. And as the reviewer says, after 15 years or so you'd think they'd get it right.

imo CoD 1, 2 & 4 good. All the rest - ho hum interactive films.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
@Ian I only played the beta, haven't and won't be buying it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Watched a few more reviews from this fella and he doesn't seem very complimentary about quite a few newer games.

He thought Assassins Creed: Origins was just 'a grind' monotonous and boring as you have to complete side quests to upgrade status in order to get enough XP to successfully undertake missions. Or you can pay real cash to upgrade. I didn't realise that and imo that's just wrong.

I've been playing ACO and it does look good but I'm finding it difficult just doing the side quests and if my past record of AC games is anything to go by I'll probably abandon this at some stage.

He also had Mafia 3 down as a poor console port and I'm totally in agreement with him on that, I played about 90 minutes of this one then uninstalled it. A pile of old tosh.

Other newer games I didn't like (Got them both for free with vid card purchase) were Tom Clancy's The Division and Far Cry: Primal.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have an XBox One and am finding it hard to get decent games I really want to play, saw the release of CODWWII on the shelf the other day and they want £45 notes for it, after reading you guys reviews I'm now inclined to wait until it comes down in price in about a years time..

Like you Flop's I have also been enjoying Assasins creed

Ask a Question