Battalion 1944

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
http://battaliongame.com/

"Battalion 1944 recaptures the core of classic multiplayer shooters and revives ‘old school’ FPS for the next generation. Focusing on 5v5 infantry based combat, where precise flick shots with your Kar98, covering fire with your thompson and and fluid player movement are key to clutching every round for your team. Band together and Fight with your team in the premiership of competitive WW2 FPS.

Battalion is currently in development alongside the community, reconstructing Unreal Engine 4 to reintroduce classic FPS quirks and create a modern shooter that feels like an old school classic. This heart-thumping multiplayer experience is being crafted by designers who have grown up playing competitive Call of Duty, Enemy Territory and Counter Strike; alongside community feedback from professional FPS players and over 10,000 backers who have been shaped by the same gaming experience."

http://store.steampowered.com/app/489940/BATTALION_1944/

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'll be keeping my eyes on this, apparently its going to be £10.99.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

1st Feb it hits early access. :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I like the class card idea in that video - may be a good way to balance things and make gameplay a little more interesting.

It really reminds me of the old COD games!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have never played games on line. The graphics in this one look pretty decent and game platy seems smooth and fast from the vids I have watched.
Do you just keep on playing in the same small map are over and over ? Or do you get bigger maps to play on. If it is only the small maps it would get pretty boring after a few goes wouldn't it ?

:confused:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I managed to blag a beta key for this yesterday, played a bit, its not bad.

Its very similar to Cod2.
Its aiming to be a competitive shooter.

Jackfrags did a good breakdown of the game here...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Can't wait for this, I need something new to play online.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/hope-for-orphans-bundle

The Humble Hope for Orphans Bundle
Hope is on the way. We've teamed up with Tripwire and friends to humbly support Change30, a charity providing critical resources to orphans in need. You'll get awesome games like Rising Storm 2: Vietnam, Killing Floor 2, BLACKHOLE, and more! Then, proceeds from this bundle will help provide care, life skills coaching, and housing and education resources to young people who have been left without support systems.

Pay what you want. Normally, the total cost for these games is as much as $247. Here at Humble Bundle, though, you choose the price!

You might find something worth playing in this bundle. :cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hey Abarbarian, appreciate the thought but the Humble site email me every other day or so with offers, ever since I bought something from them about 8 months ago.

In that time there's been nothing at a decent price from them that has appealed to me, sad to say.

I actually bought one of their 'mystery bundles' which turned out to be a selection of really dire games, the only one of about a dozen worth anything was F1 2013, I think, and I didn't like that much.

I like the look of Battalion 1944 a lot as I've played CoD4 online ever since it was released and a few of the other CoD series as well.

I tried a few Battlefield games online too but couldn't make head nor tail of the gameplay so gave them a miss :confused:

So, at last it looks like there's an online shooter that might tickle me fancy, so to speak.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hey Abarbarian, appreciate the thought but the Humble site email me every other day or so with offers, ever since I bought something from them about 8 months ago.

In that time there's been nothing at a decent price from them that has appealed to me, sad to say.

I actually bought one of their 'mystery bundles' which turned out to be a selection of really dire games, the only one of about a dozen worth anything was F1 2013, I think, and I didn't like that much.

I like the look of Battalion 1944 a lot as I've played CoD4 online ever since it was released and a few of the other CoD series as well.

I tried a few Battlefield games online too but couldn't make head nor tail of the gameplay so gave them a miss :confused:

So, at last it looks like there's an online shooter that might tickle me fancy, so to speak.

I have bought a couple of the Weekly Bundles and several of the Book/Audio Book bundles. An I bought this last bundle as I fancied a go at Killing Floor 2. I think there are a couple more games in the bundle that have single player too so I'll probably give them a go too at some time.

The Humble Bundles are aptly named and aimed at humble folk with hardly any loot so tend in the main to consist of older games. Games that you wealthy first adopters have bought played and forgotten about years ago. :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The Humble Bundles are aptly named and aimed at humble folk with hardly any loot so tend in the main to consist of older games. Games that you wealthy first adopters have bought played and forgotten about years ago. :p

Oh Barbaric one, I realise the light-heartedness of your prose but I really do feel I must put the record straight here. Me? wealthy? Ha-*******-ha, as they say

I can count the games I've paid full price for on the fingers of both hands. One example was Skyrim and also most of the Call Of Duty series though they tended to go downhill after CoD4. I even bought Nier Automata in a Steam sale.

If I think a game's rubbish or I don't like it I will say so. Or if a game's good but just doesn't do it for me I will also say so and abandon the game in both instances. It doesn't matter how old the game is and to a certain extent it doesn't matter how awful the graphics are, it's the gameplay that counts.

The last week I've actually been playing Quake and it's add-ons again, how old and how cheap is that?

I'm wary of paying full price for a game for 2 reasons 1) It might be rubbish which means thirty to forty quid up the swanee. 2) I know that in time the game will be selling for at least 20% of it's original price.

I have lots of games here that imo are absolute rubbish which means I've wasted money on false promises. Just as well that the greater majority of those games were bought at significantly reduced prices.

My view on the Humble Bundle site is based on what I've been offered via their constant email/spam and it seems to me that most games offered are either tosh or I already own them. But I keep looking and keep hoping something good might turn up.

I have Killing Floor 1 in my Steam roster - it was very cheap - and I think it's a whole bundle of hoo-ha, not for me at all.

So, there we go, I hope this solidly refutes accusations of me being a Little Lord Fauntleroy with bags of loot as that is clearly a falsehood.

Looking forward to Battalion 1944 :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If I think a game's rubbish or I don't like it I will say so. Or if a game's good but just doesn't do it for me I will also say so and abandon the game in both instances. It doesn't matter how old the game is and to a certain extent it doesn't matter how awful the graphics are, it's the gameplay that counts.

Yer right the game play is the thing that counts.

I have lots of games here that imo are absolute rubbish which means I've wasted money on false promises. Just as well that the greater majority of those games were bought at significantly reduced prices.

Yup same here.

via their constant email/spam

You can filter what you get from them you know. I do not get e-mails regarding their Monthly Bundles as I will never subscribe to it and I ticked a few other boxes aswell. Only spotted that you could do that a few months ago meself.

So, there we go, I hope this solidly refutes accusations of me being a Little Lord Fauntleroy with bags of loot as that is clearly a falsehood.

By gum , you ain't filthy stinkin rich. My apologies for the slur on your good character. Coming from a humble northern working class background and living in the wilds of Cumbria and south west Wales my knowledge of matters south of Watford are scant. I have lived all my life under the false impression that all Londoners were wealthy and the streets were paved with gold.

:cool:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Now available on Steam for the bargain price of £10.25.

Mines downloading now. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Downloaded it, set the video resolution, customised my keyboard controls... and can't get online with it at all.

I selected Europe as my area and so far there's only about 40 servers showing and half of those are locked, needing passwords, and every other one I tried is either full up or just cuts off. No ping figures are shown either.

And apart from that nobody was hosting a free-for-all server, I was trying for Team Deathmatch. I don't fancy trying Wartide just yet, thought I'd get familiar with the game first but - no chance, not yet anyway.

And then I had to use task manager to close it down - buggy or what?

Oh well, huge disappointment but early days yet, we shall see.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The Steam reviews are labelled 'Mixed' When Steam say Mixed it basically translates as 'Crap'. Here's a small sample of the negative reviews.

If anybody else is thinking of buying this I'd advise to wait and see if they can fix the server issues.

Ever feel like you've been cheated?

battalion1944.JPG

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah servers are getting hammered. Thought they might as its day one of early access. Give it time. :)

As for the reviews, well....

EDIT: http://steamcommunity.com/games/489940/announcements/detail/1680275500350505292

ADDRESSING ISSUES WITH INFLUX OF PLAYERS

Battalion 1944 launched at 17:00 GMT and players were instantly put into games. Across that hour, Battalion has seen tens of thousands of players launch the game at once.

During our beta we had over 4,000 concurrent players, this is the number we used to anticipate day one players. We have seen four times that amount, all trying to matchmake at once and our server loads are currently MUCH higher than anticipated from those numbers. This is why you’re currently seeing the issues that are happening right now.

The future looks bright, but we need to work right now because we owe that to our community. Our existing fans know we like to operate as an open book, so we’d like to explain exactly what’s happening.

Client Update Available Tonight
We will be pushing a client update tonight to help solve the issue below, aiming to fix our second process. Please watch our social media accounts on twitter @Battalion1944 and @Brammertron or on Reddit /r/Battalion1944

So why exactly is this happening?
Our matchmaker uses two processes to get players into games. One is on our end, the matchmaking code is functioning how it was intended to function, this is almost entirely thanks to the testing from our alpha & beta testers. Players will be queued into games and eventually get into a game once the server has been created for them.

The second process is the allocation - which is handled by a third party. This is the part of the matchmaking process which has put a large halt on players getting into games because of the high server load - to the extent of fully stopping players from entering the game entirely.
We have hit a cap on this third party account that was never intended to be hit and the service provider are freezing all traffic through our servers. This is a protocol built in to protect us in the event of a DDOS attack, however, in this instance where Battalion is extremely popular the service is working against us. This same service is affecting joining community servers.
We are working on a fix for this issue and you should be able to begin matchmaking again soon.

Server Browser/Community Servers
Community Servers also speak to the matchmaking service as part of our anticheat service.

“The fault lies with Bulkhead Interactive & Square Enix Collective for incorrectly anticipating the huge influx of players we would receive, we are incredibly humbled to receive this many players on Day one. It’s up to my team and I over the next few hours, days, and weeks to show you what we’re made of and show you we’re a dev team you can trust. I hope you see our updates as good communication. We will absolutely be learning from this and we’ll be showing you our updates through the weekend and next week”
BRAMMERTRON
Studio Lead @ Bulkhead Interactive

The most important information from us as developers to you as players:
We are working on and releasing a fix to resolve the complete halt on matchmaking.

Very soon there will be a small patch and client update. You must install this update to be able to get into unranked and arcade games. What this patch does is entirely remove the function of the third party and puts the stress back onto the servers and no longer the third party.

This means you WILL be able to get into games, however there will be long wait times with the ‘Match Ready - Allocating Server’ message. There will be a long wait time but this does mean you will be able to get into games.

How are we compensating players?
Currently, our focus is on how to fix the existing issues. But players will be rewarded for their patience and for supporting us in our first days of Early Access.

This is a TEMPORARY launch day solution.

Early Access is intended as a constant development period for us and matchmaking systems are a part of that development process. Throughout Early Access we will learn to manage our player numbers much better. It will also quickly become very easy to anticipate how many players we have and at what time as well as improve the entire matchmaking experience.

We need to thank you all so much for your enthusiasm and patience.

We’re seeing feedback that when players are getting into games that the game itself is awesome and exactly the back to the roots experience people wanted. We now need to deliver on getting players into games to make sure players can access that experience and rest assured we are doing everything we can to make that happen as soon as possible.

TL;DR

Client update and fix coming within the next few hours. This is a temporary fix - server wait times will still be sometimes up to 10 minutes, but this will be fixed this week.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The 'critiques' I screen-grabbed were just a random sample from 100's, maybe 1000's, ain't any of them going to land a job as literary observer at The Times ;)

Still a poor show - they didn't expect that amount of people? What?

All in all though, I'll wait, I've wasted more money than £10.25 on some lousy games in the past so I'll be patient.

One thing occured to me though, I wonder what Activision are making of this? With their arrogance and pricing policy they've had their own way for so long (apart from the Battlefield series) that this must have rattled them a bit.

So, I just played my usual mid-evening shenanigans - CoD4 - and I wonder to myself why do kids always think it's the height of macho to say 'I bonked your Mom'? If my mother was still alive and some young guy shaped up with her she'd probably have said thank you and bought him a pint :D

I know, saying that was very wrong....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've had enough of this crap game and have requested a refund from Steam.

Multiple issues but mostly I can't find a decent server. On the few occasions I've managed to get online the gameplay has been jerky and irregular and always - always - within ten minutes I lose the host connection.

Very, very disappointed but I'm not going to suffer it any longer, if they can't sort it out after six days then there probably isn't much hope.

Ask a Question