Call of Duty: World at War

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
www.callofduty.com - Official website

A thread for the game considering the BETA should be out soon! :cool:

Intel:
It's using the CoD4 engine
It's being developed by Treyarch (CoDUO, COD3)
Seven kill streak = RELEASE THE HOUNDS :rolleyes:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41629.html - Trailer

A quote from the PR guy at the official forums....
Hi everyone,

We're rapidly approaching the PC BETA, and as such I wanted to lay out a few key features to the PC version of CoD:WW, and what ramifications it will have on the PC BETA.

First, the entire key authentication / master server paradigm is changing for the first time in a Call of Duty PC title. In CoD:WW, you will be authenticating in-game against a more global master server. This server will keep track of and maintain unique Profile names (like a screenname) which will be tied to your CD Key. So while username / passwords will not be required to play our game, you will have globally unique profile names.

Why are we doing this? Because also for the first time ever in a Call of Duty PC title, we're bringing Friends and Invites (which are typically console staples) to the PC. So we have built-in Friends functionality. You can add friends, filter your servers by Friends (see which servers your friends are playing in), join their servers, etc. You can also invite any online friends to come join you in your current game. We didn't want the new Squad mechanics we've developed to get watered down on the PC, which is ultimately why we decided to bring you Friends & Invites, and thus globally unique profile names.

Now we understand that clan tags can change frequently, and it would be obnoxious and not very user friendly to keep changing your profile name. So we've added in clan tag prefixes, which will show up in-game. This should allow you to take full advantage of our Friends & Invites features, and still be able to make yourself more uniquely identifiable in-game.

So what does this have to do with the BETA?

You will be required to enter a CD Key for the BETA, much like you will when you get the full game this November. These PC keys will be available to all registered users of CallOfDuty.com, including any new users who sign up after the PC BETA releases. These keys aren't intended to limit the BETA to a certain number of players; they are here to allow you to create these unique profile names for our Friends and Invites features.

How will BETA servers work?

The PC BETA will pretty much be a limited MP distribution of our game. So you will be able to host your own servers, and GSP's will be able to sell BETA servers and put up as many dedicated servers as they'd like. All of this will function as if it were a regular Multiplayer game. It's important to note, that for the BETA, the dedicated server will be Windows only.

Will our XP / accounts / friends transfer over from the BETA?

No, all accounts will be deleted after the BETA, just like on the Xbox 360.

More specifics on when the BETA will be released, how it will be released, and where you'll be receiving your keys will be made available in my next update. Rest assured, we want to get you this BETA just as badly as you want to play it, so your patience is appreciated.

Regards,
-JD

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Odd, they're sticking with DX9, no DX10 on this one.

Not that that makes a lot of odds, in my opinion.

The only game I've noticed any real difference in cos it uses DX10 is Call Of Juarez, itself a 2nd Division game (albeit an enjoyable one) and in that game the DX10 enhancements came in a patch. A huge patch as I recall, about 680Mb.

DX10 does make a difference but it's not that much of a difference tbh

I am not enjoying Crysis Warhead at all, have to say.

I do hope Far Cry 2 and CoD5 are good, will help me through the winter, lol ;)

And I'll be looking closely at all this DRM/Activation crapola.

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
I know this is a bit of a longshot but if anyone has a xbox 360 beta code for this game that they dont want, I'd love to have it ;)

Thanks,
chelseafc2005

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Treyarch Promises Day-1 World at War Beta Servers.

We are pleased to announce that in anticipation of the high demand for game servers day-1 of the PC Multiplayer BETA, we’ve joined forces with GameServers to provide a fleet of dedicated servers to be standing and at the ready the day-of the PC BETA release!

GameServers will have servers all around the globe for players to enjoy. Everyone should be able to find servers with great pings with the coverage we’ll have!

For anyone else interested in hosting servers, when the BETA is made available to the world to download, you can upload the files to your datacenters and run as many dedicated servers as you’d like. Hosting a CoD:WW server will not be too dissimilar to running a Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare server. Note that for the BETA, the servers will be Windows only. Linux servers will be available for the retail game.

We want to have as smooth of a day-1 kickoff as possible, and we hope that our combined forces will provide just that!

http://planetcallofduty.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=154587

WOOT! :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
YAY!!!!! :D

Knew it was a good idea not to cancel that Fileplanet Subscription!!!
user.gif

ib9861.jpg

The minute the BETA launches, an e-mail will be sent out to every registered user on CallOfDuty.com, informing them of the launch. You will simply need to go to your Account / Profile tab of your account and your code will be right there (not just yet, when the thing goes live). You’ll also see a nice big announcement here, and some PC BETA forums will be created.

The Account / Profile page will also have a mirror listing of all known mirrors where you can download the file. The file you download will require a key upon installation, which is where you’ll enter the code you find in your profile.

Regards,
-JD

http://www.callofduty.com/board/login?referer=/board/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=38483

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just played a few maps.

Its gonna be good i think. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Right so been playing this beta for the last few hours. So far seems good. :)

Based on the CoD4 engine so i've done the usual config tweaks (no actual .cfg file in this beta so had to do it via ingame console. ;) ) This game still has the fps 'issue' that all other CoD games have, Higher frame rate the better basically. :)

I've done the usual and turned off Depth of Field, Specular map etc, and increased the FOV to 80 (all the same as CoD4)

Here's a few screenshots. Remember, this is with my FPS tweaks to maintain a solid 125fps, not quite at full ingame settings. :)

Down from 1680x1050 to 1000x625

2u70mxz.jpg

Below is FOV set to the default of 65

2po2no5.jpg

Below is the FOV set to 80

w06vc6.jpg

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You get 125 fps with graphics like that? :eek:

I had this downloading last night but it stopped at 85% so restarting it now :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Almost it still dips here and there, not finished tweaking yet. :)

Annoyingly cg_drawfps 1 dont work in this beta so i have to use fraps. :(

Reaction score
Downloading this right now can't wait to try it out looks really cool. :) I am going to have a go at tewaking FPS as well.

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
Ok I have downloaded it and when I try to install it, it asks for a jey, I ahve had a look but I can't find this in the files that came with it?

Edit Sorted it out

Wiz

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The minute the BETA launches, an e-mail will be sent out to every registered user on CallOfDuty.com, informing them of the launch. You will simply need to go to your Account / Profile tab of your account and your code will be right there (not just yet, when the thing goes live). You’ll also see a nice big announcement here, and some PC BETA forums will be created.

The Account / Profile page will also have a mirror listing of all known mirrors where you can download the file. The file you download will require a key upon installation, which is where you’ll enter the code you find in your profile.

Regards,
-JD
Register at www.callofduty.com for a beta key mate. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Treyarch has decided to move the player configuration file, a crucial client-side file that can be used to tweak CoD:WW and maximize the performance of your hardware, from its usual hiding place inside the CoD folder.

Typically (for e.g. CoD4), the config has been placed here:

C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players\profiles\playername

Not so in CoD:WW.

For XP users, you can now find it here:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Activision\CoDWaWbeta\players\profiles\playername

For you Vista users:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Activision\CoDWaWbeta\players\profiles\playername

Thanks go to Sanity, Deuce1912 and TwoFingers for coming up with this first. The guys on the BASHandSlash.com forums do it again: config experts that they are.

http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=429&Itemid=108

:D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Call of Duty: World at War v1.1 Patch

Call of Duty: World at War v1.1 Patch out. (lol!)

Mods are now enabled in Co-op, Single Player, and Multiplayer.
Players will now be notified when a new patch is available.
Improvements for SLI support.
G_Spawn: no free entities crash has been fixed.
Server no longer runs out of script variables.
License key is no longer required to run a Dedicated Server.
A Dedicated Server can now be started from the Command Line via Remote Desktop Connection.
Various fixes in Server Browser.
Players will no longer see multiple friend invites from the same friends.
When a player calls in a recon plane in a Hardcore match, the HUD will properly appear.
Clan Tags will now display in game where appropriate.
Map holes fixed
Spawn improvements and weapon balancing

http://www.gamershell.com/download_35712.shtml

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So....

Who else got this? Liking it? Tell us your thoughts! :D

So far the more i play it the more i like it. Ranked 32 atm, looking forward to unlocking the MP44.
nod.gif

Ask a Question