c000021a {fatal system error} 0x00000000

Reaction score
i was hoping someone could tell me what this error is. my daughter's thinkpad starts to load windows xp and then stops with the blue screen of death and the following complete message :
STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000000 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

Help please! and thanks!

Reaction score
I've had a look at Microsofts Knowledge Base, but most problems occur with NT4.0 & not XP.
Had you added or removed anything from the Laptop prior to this problem starting?

Reaction score
If you have your XP cd to hand why try a repair install and see if this corrects the problem. Are you using Norton?

Reaction score
not anything hardware-wise..we've been having trouble with an internet bug (we ran vundofix two weeks ago and it seemed ok) but nothing else to speak of.

Reaction score
we are using symantec with liveupdate. we bought the laptop packaged and i don't think i received a CD but fortunately i stuck the stuff in a filing cabinet..i'll have to see what i have..thks!

Reaction score
boyogenius said:
we are using symantec with liveupdate. we bought the laptop packaged and i don't think i received a CD but fortunately i stuck the stuff in a filing cabinet..i'll have to see what i have..thks!

Can you boot into safe mode? If so try this press F8 on the keyboard, then select safe mode, once logged on go to start programs Accessories System tools then try a system restore this will restore you pc back to a time when this problem was not happening.

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
thanks for that thought! i do get to boot into the screen that gives me the option to boot into safe mode, but when i select safe mode it goes to the blue screen of death! i hate the blue screen of death..any other thoughts?

Reaction score
boyogenius said:
thanks for that thought! i do get to boot into the screen that gives me the option to boot into safe mode, but when i select safe mode it goes to the blue screen of death! i hate the blue screen of death..any other thoughts?

Not really mate, I'm afraid.

I would suggest next is a repair install and see if this fixes it.

How old is this unit?

Regards,

Ask a Question