fatal system error

Reaction score
i get this and i can not get know were
STOP: c000021a { fatal system error } the session manager initialzation system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000). the system has been shut down

please help i have windows xp please help help
help help help please......................................................

please e-mail me or port the info thanks for your time(e-mail address removed)

pikakilla

Proud Cruncher!
Reaction score
read this
it talks about windows nt but it still includes xp as they are identical

youll probably have to reinstall windows

oh and you might want to remove your email address

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try here:
http://www.linuxcompatible.org/stop...ts_minor_heart_attack..._seeks_me_t31439.html
also
http://grayareas.net/other/Knoppix/DualBoot Linux and Windows 2000Windows XP with GRUB HOWTO.htm

I have a similar problem: on my XP machine with umpteen partitions installed SuSE - in the clever installation I missed the bit where you choose the location of the boot loader, so GRUB overwrote the MBR. No immediate problem, as I could boot XP from the GRUB screen.

Then I went even cleverer, and attempted another install of XP into a vacant partition, to test something. Total failure - nothing will boot, either from the HD or the XP CD. Just got the message about AUTOCHECK (missing) and fatal system error 0xc000003a. So I Googled.

Now I am going to try the recovery console from the XP CD, and FIXMBR. I am still reading, and will let you know the result when I take the plunge. I read somewhere that FIXMBR rewrites the whole MBR including the partition tables, while FDISK/MBR leaves the partition tables alone.

I might be able to re-install SuSE, but will try the above first as I must get XP working.

Hope this helps. More later.

Edna

Reaction score
Formatting HDD

This method will take time especially if you are a novice, so be prepared.

If all else fails and you have checked all other components have found them to be functioning correctly, you find that you are still unable to format using your WINDOWS and/or recovery disk, also you have no FLOPPY drive to create an FDISK, you can however create a CD which contains FDISK and boot from that, failing all the above in an attempt to format your HDD you will need ACCESS to another PC and I stress ACCSESS to a second PC.

As I see quite a number of posts regarding FORMATTING this will help you as long as you are NOT a complete novice, if you are a novice PLEASE be careful, in understanding this article fully, you will succeed.

• Before you work on any PC remove the mains supply cable, once removed [NO POWER] press the start button, as this will drain any power that is left in the PC. It is advisable to earth yourself while working on any PC, by means of a wrist earth strap.
  • Remove the HDD you need to format from your malfunctioning PC.
  • On the second PC providing it has a spare IDE connector connect the HDD making sure the jumpers are set correctly MASTER/SLAVE, IE: if the existing one is set to MASTER set the one you need to format to SLAVE or vice versa.
  • If you do not have a spare IDE remove one of your other drives CD/DVD etc: NOT your main HDD.
  • Now when you start the PC it will recognise the second HDD if asked which one to boot up from obviously use the existing one.
  • When the PC is up and running go to START click, scroll up to SETTINGS.
  • Now enter CONTROL PANEL click.
  • In control panel choose ADMINISTRATVE TOOLS double click to open.
  • Now choose COMPUTER MANAGEMENT double click to open.
  • When the window opens you will see on the left hand side DISK MANAGEMENT double click to open.
  • You will now see your HDD`s C=D=E= or similar.
  • Choose the drive you need to FORMAT you cannot format the HDD that is needed IE the operating system as it is in use.
  • Make sure you have chosen the correct HDD to format.
  • Now RIGHT click where it says C=D=E= or whatever a box will open
  • Choose FORMAT and run it you have a choice long or quick FORMAT make your choice.
  • When you have finished CLOSE all open windows, shut the PC down and you have a nice clean HARD DRIVE, now put it back in your original computer and set up your operating system.
Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!;)

Reaction score
Success (partial) at last!

It took a while, didn't it? Well, I had other things to do, and besides have another machine running W98, which I much prefer. I installed XP in another partition on the problem machine, so that I did have one instance of it, and ignored the problem until now. I was determined not to re-install in partition 1, because I knew all the stuff was still there (OK, so I could have copied it out, but that would have broken all the links). It is the test-and-learn machine, after all.

Anyway, I came upon another idea while browsing another forum without much hope; it was just a throwaway among much more technical stuff: "Have you tried using the PQboot rescue disk?" - I had, of course, without success; but the poster went on to say that Boot Magic must be installed on a Fat16 partition or the rescue disk wouldn't see it; however, if it was installed on a Fat32 partition, it could be detected by a rescue disk made under Windows 98 (convoluted, huh?).

My partitions are Fat32, so I took the rescue disk from my RELIABLE AND TRUSTY W98 machine, booted the XP one from it, and bingo! I was able to change to the first partition and boot into it. Truly magic. Black magic.

However, my troubles weren't over. My settings had disappeared - horrible green-and-blue wallpaper - and worse still, it wanted to re-authenticate. I had no internet connection at that point, so had to use the telephone method - is it laborious? - and after 6 tries I was into windows. All the programs were still installed, but no icons (a blessing: I hadn't managed to delete the IE one before).

Troubles are not quite over: Boot Magic hasn't shown itself, so I am still using the rescue disk to switch partitions. My shortcuts and things have all disappeared so I'll have to do them again ....

.... if I can be bothered. On the whole, I think I'll go with grub, after all that effort. As my favourite t-shirt says "Who needs Windows?"

Hope this helps.

Edna

Ask a Question