Bootvis Causes Delay Loading Startup Programs

Steven White

I ran a Bootvis optimization on my computer. Since then
the computer comes up to the desktop then pauses for a
minute or two before it continues to load some of the
Norton Utilities program from my startup folder. Also
Norton Antivirus comes up in the system tray but is
disabled until the computer decides to complete loading
the startup programs. How can I correct this. System
Restore won't let me restore the system to before the
Bootvis optimization.

Will Denny

Hi

Your problem could be with the Norton programs you have installed. What happens if you disable/uninstall those progs?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

| I ran a Bootvis optimization on my computer. Since then
| the computer comes up to the desktop then pauses for a
| minute or two before it continues to load some of the
| Norton Utilities program from my startup folder. Also
| Norton Antivirus comes up in the system tray but is
| disabled until the computer decides to complete loading
| the startup programs. How can I correct this. System
| Restore won't let me restore the system to before the
| Bootvis optimization.

Will Denny

Hi

Norton has screwed up so many systems - only problem is - Norton won't admit it. Their reputation is horrendous, but people still use their products for some reason. No Norton 'employee' has replied to any criticisms on the MS NGs - I wonder why.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

| It didn't do any good!

Steven White

Maybe they don't think the criticisms are substantiated.
Everything was fine until I ran Bootvis. I'm interested
in a solution to the problem.
Norton has screwed up so many systems - only problem is -
Norton won't admit it. Their reputation is horrendous,
but people still use their products for some reason. No
Norton 'employee' has replied to any criticisms on the MS
NGs - I wonder why.
--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Steven White" <[email protected]>
wrote in message [email protected]...

Will Denny

EOT - for me.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

| Maybe they don't think the criticisms are substantiated.
| Everything was fine until I ran Bootvis. I'm interested
| in a solution to the problem.

| >|

?

=?iso-8859-1?B?uyBtcnRlZSCr?=

About Bootvis.exe
Bootvis.exe is a performance tracing and visualization tool that Microsoft designed to help PC system designers and software developers identify performance issues for boot/resume timing while developing new PC products or supporting software.

Please note that Bootvis.exe is not a tool that will improve boot/resume performance for end users. Contrary to some published reports, Bootvis.exe cannot reduce or alter a system's boot or resume performance. The boot optimization routines invoked by Bootvis.exe are built into Windows XP. These routines run automatically at pre-determined times as part of the normal operation of the operating system.

If you are an end-user seeking to resolve issues for boot/resume performance on your PC, we recommend that you contact the vendor from whom you purchased the PC. For information from Microsoft on specific issues, you can search Knowledge Base for Windows XP product issues related to "resume time." Knowledge Base is a free information service available at: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

From the article @ http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/fastboot/default.mspx HTH.

--
Just my 2¢ worth
Jeff
| Maybe they don't think the criticisms are substantiated.
| Everything was fine until I ran Bootvis. I'm interested
| in a solution to the problem.

| >|

Plato

Steven said:
I ran a Bootvis optimization on my computer. Since then

Since you read the docs you know it's for developers, NOT for average
Joes. It's NOT for home users like you.