best virus scanner???

Reaction score
last night a trojan file decided to add itself to my computer which then continued to download over 50 other nasty files, using spyware doctor ive managed to get rid of most of them, but there is still a few files that i cant seem to get rid of, and ive got alot of problems that ill need to fix after i get rid of them.

i may even need to re-install windows if i cant fix the problems :( but is spyware doctor the best scanner to use, or is there i better one?? i tried AVG but that didnt work either.

Reaction score
oh also, could sum1 let me know what "MWSBAR.DLL" is, cos it seems it can not be found.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
To stop the trojans in the first place you need a good AV suite such as Kaspersky or Steganos, together with a firewall.

You then need to install Windows Defender/Spywareblaster/Spybot Search&Destroy/Ad-aware which are all free - and if your willing to pay, then Webroot Spy Sweeper and Ewido (free trial) are good.

However, even with all these things on your PC you are not 100% safe - you also have to use common sense and check what your surfing and downloading ;)

Leey2ki said:
oh also, could sum1 let me know what "MWSBAR.DLL" is, cos it seems it can not be found
"Mwsbar.dll is an IE Browser Helper Object used by adware WeSearch to add an IE toolbar to provide search features, and hijack browser search requests to its controlling servers run by MyWay"

Basically its a browser hijack nasty by MyWebSearch - have a look HERE, and follow the removal instructions :thumb:

Reaction score
cool, thanks, i actually have kaspersky installed, including the kaspoersky firewall, is that a good firewall to use???

and ill look into the other scanners you mentioned aswell, thanks very much :) im not exactly sure what problems have been caused yet but im hoping its not too bad.

also which firewall would you advise on using??? im behind a router, but woul feel abit safer with a firewall aswell but every firewall ive used is terrible :(

Reaction score
oh also, theres quite a few websites ive tried going on that i use on a regular basis, but for some reason i am un-able to load them, the page just remains blank, any idea why this might be?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what you have installed if you go 'click-click' oops ... ;)

:)

Reaction score
it didnt come through a website, it came through msn.

i tried to un-install my web search, but it keeps saying that .dll file cannot be found so it cant un-install :(

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
leey2ki said:
cool, thanks, i actually have kaspersky installed, including the kaspoersky firewall, is that a good firewall to use???

and ill look into the other scanners you mentioned aswell, thanks very much :) im not exactly sure what problems have been caused yet but im hoping its not too bad.

also which firewall would you advise on using??? im behind a router, but woul feel abit safer with a firewall aswell but every firewall ive used is terrible :(
If you are behind a NAT router firewall then you should be pretty secure - I also run the standard Windows Firewall as well, I've run firewall checks and it seems secure :thumb:

oh also, theres quite a few websites ive tried going on that i use on a regular basis, but for some reason i am un-able to load them, the page just remains blank, any idea why this might be?
I would imagine its to do with the nasties on your system - clear it up then see what happens.
Also after all that cleaning, download and run CCleaner to remove all the rubbish left behind :thumb:

Reaction score
aahhh cool, thanks again man, i installed ad-aware SE, just scanning with that now and its found 127 so far :( spyware doctor is now only finding 3 lol

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
leey2ki said:
it didnt come through a website, it came through msn
Same applies to MSN - don't download anything you aren't 100% sure off - also set up MSN to scan downloads with your AV.

i tried to un-install my web search, but it keeps saying that .dll file cannot be found so it cant un-install :(
Its probably because Spyware Doctor has deleted it - run all the programs suggested and hopefully it will be removed anyway :thumb:

Reaction score
problem is, i didnt download anything, i scan everything ive recieved through msn and i never accept sumthing unless its a file ive requested or know what the file is.

sum1 on my list has one of them things that spreads via msn lists, ive warned everybody on my list to search their comps.

Reaction score
lol @ what the first C stands for haha, that made me giggle. thanks again for the help.

for fixing problems i have been trying out system mechanic pro but havent had any real problems to fix, is this a good programme to use for majour problem fixing?? or have you not used this programme before??(that being the case ill try it out and if it seems to work fine ill make a thread about it with a link and how well i feel it does work)

Reaction score
ggrrr i cant seem to install CCleaner, it just freezes the install when it gets just over 3/4 of the way through

Reaction score
leey2ki said:
ggrrr i cant seem to install CCleaner, it just freezes the install when it gets just over 3/4 of the way through

Are you running from download or saving to desktop?

Reaction score
saving to desktop, ive installed it now... i had to deselect the install yahoo toolbar option cos thats where it kept freezing.

well ive removed nasties using spyware doctor, ad-aware and spybot search and destroy, and run CCleaner, and im still having problems loading most websites and im still getting the .dll error message :(

Reaction score
i just tried starting up in safe mode and it just took forever and a day, and it still hadnt booted :(

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Cancel the safe mode then - and run Ewido as normal.

Then post a HijackThis log here and I'll have a look :thumb:

Ask a Question