Assassins Creed for PC

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone here played Assassins Creed for the PC yet? It came out yesterday, and I ended up buying it last night :D

I've only played a few hours, but I'm really impressed with the gameplay so far. You can tell it's a console title that's been ported over, but they've done a great job of it. Although the controls have taken some getting used to, the movement of the characters, graphics and sound are all amazing. Combined with what seems like an interesting story so far, I think this will be a very enjoyable game :D

I'll take some screenshots and get them posted next time I'm in the game :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It looks like a good game, I've just watched the short "experience" demo on their website the graphics look very realistic :thumb:

Is there a monthly subscription or anything like that Ian? Or is it similar to GW, where you buy it, play it and no more fees to worry about :cool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
No fee's or anything like that - but it's just a single player game. It's a bit like the old "Tomb Raider" games if you've ever played those :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've been wondering what that game's like. I was never fond of the Tomb Raider series mostly because of the control system.

Frustrating as hell, all that jumping, missing, falling, climb up again, jumping, missing, falling, etc etc. Odd perspective as well, the third party view.

If Assassin's creed is not like that, I may give it a try depending on what you have to say about it.

Oh, and I don't like stealth much which is why I avoided the Thief series and Hitman series, didn't appeal to me at all. I tried the first Thief and it drove me nuts :D

So, with 'Assassin' in the title I'm obviously cautious.

It's set in medieval times so I believe and has fairly hefty system demands I think. Is it playing well on your machine?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I'm a bit new-ish to games so have really only played GW (which I enjoy a lot,) but thinking I'd probably like Assassin's Creed too. I don't mind it being single-player as I mostly play GW on my own :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
And while we're on the subject I tried The Witcher a few weeks ago, picked it up for £15.00 and I can honestly it's a great big pile of poo :D

Good graphics but a really awful control system; combat that's largely ineffectual; long cut scenes that you can't exit; corny dialogue; unable to leap on ledges, can only follow set path - yuk.

Fortunately for me the shop took it back and exchanged it for another game.

Last night spent a few hours on The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I love that game but go long periods not playing it then come back to it. Very relaxing :) I think I'm about a quarter of the way through and I haven't been playing the side quests, will come back to those once I've finished.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
No disrespect TC, but it ain't anything like GW. ;)

I agree with Floppy, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, is a nice "starter" game in the genera like Assassin's Creed ... I was surprised I actually stuck playing out Oblivion, it, I think, can be called a clasic.

:user:

oh, and Oblivion has a 'God mode' you can use, if you get stuck like.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I've been wondering what that game's like. I was never fond of the Tomb Raider series mostly because of the control system.

I wasn't overly keen on Tomb Raider for that very same reason... lining up jumps 10 times in a row only to start again. I can confidently say that this isn't like that :) The keys did take me a couple of hours to get fully used to, but you can literally climb anything in the game, and if you have to jump across loads of beams you don't need to do each one individually. You can jump over roofs, grab on to beams and run across narrow ledges with a high degree of automation (i.e. it figures out what you want to do, and the character just does it when you aim for it).

I did a quick search for a youtube video and found this example :

All of that running and jumping illustrated is really, really easy.

floppybootstomp said:
Oh, and I don't like stealth much which is why I avoided the Thief series and Hitman series, didn't appeal to me at all. I tried the first Thief and it drove me nuts :D

I think you can play this game and be very stealthy the whole way through, or if you're like me I just run across roof tops, push people over and generally act as stealthy as an elephant. There are a couple of point in the game so far where you do need to be a bit stealthy (i.e. pickpocketing, assassination) - but it isn't like you are hiding everywhere.

floppybootstomp said:
It's set in medieval times so I believe and has fairly hefty system demands I think. Is it playing well on your machine?

It plays great on my machine, really well in fact - I was quite surprised given the requirements (mine's a Q6600 @ 3Ghz, 8800GTS, 2GB ram). It runs at full resolution on my 22" widescreen, but I don't think AA is enabled.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
I'm a bit new-ish to games so have really only played GW (which I enjoy a lot,) but thinking I'd probably like Assassin's Creed too. I don't mind it being single-player as I mostly play GW on my own :thumb:

I've not played GW before, so I don't know what it's like - but I think this is different from what I understand. It's a shame there isn't a playable demo so that you could get a feel for what the game is like - I've had a google but can't find any info on one being released. The vid I posted above demonstrates a good example of the gameplay though :thumb:

edit : I've just seen that Mucks can confirm this isn't like GW :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm, looks interesting ... and fun. :nod:

I like point-n-shoot ... :lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
No disrespect TC, but it ain't anything like GW. ;)

Yes Mucks, I could see from that "Experience Demo" I looked at, that the "blood-letting" is a bit more realistic... lol, but I don't mind the odd bit of gore (strictly in a game context, of course :p ) Hee hee, am I revealing the hidden sides to my "quiet nature?" :rolleyes:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just been to the local GAME shop, Assassin's Creed is not in stock :(

There's a special edition steel box version at Play.com but it's out of stock atm.

They do have it online at GAME, normal version, for £25.00, maybe I'll get that, maybe I'll wait to see if Play.com get any more special editions, dunno yet.

And guess what? A few weeks ago I could have bought Dungeon Keeper 2 online for a fiver. Now I can't get the damn thing anywhere and it's actually going as a used copy for £25.00 on Amazon :eek:

I bid up to £4.50 for a copy on E-Bay yesterday (postage was £2.50) but quit after bidding that high. No way am I paying more than £7.00 for a game I already bought once.

It was Ian's thread on Dungeon Keeper 2 that made to decide to give it another go but my original copy, disk one, was scratched to hell, so I only have disk 2 now :(

I shall just keep my eye open for a copy unless anybody here is selling a copy they don't need of course.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Bought Assassins Creed from GAME myself, just the normal edition though :thumb:

I gave away my copy of DKII only a matter of days ago with my old PC :eek:. Sods law that is, otherwise you could have had it :( Have you tried running the scratched CD through a repairer?

There are a few copies going on ebay for 99p at the moment, and I'm sure I've seen them in the "sold out" range for a few quid before (those generic white boxes, along with Theme Hospital etc....).

edit : done a google and found they sell it in ASDA and TESCO for a fiver :nod:

http://www.asda-entertainment.co.uk/asda/8475474.product
http://www.tesco.com/Entertainment/product.aspx?R=534255

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the links Ian, looks promsing. There's a huge Tescos just the other side of the River, they may actually have it in the store.

They're also doing Assassin's Creed for £24.71 if I ordered the two I get free postage.

3 to 5 days for delivery though.

My original disk one was so badly scratched I threw it away. It had been a long time since I'd dug it out and I do wonder how it got scratched, none of my other disks are :confused:

It was for sale on the Sold Out range just last week at both GAME & Play.com but now it isn't. It looks likely it has gone out of production and I suppose stores will now just sell off existing stocks.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Almost at the end of Assassins Creed now, and I like it even more than I did when I posted this :)

Two thumbs up from me :D If you have a gamepad then this is going to be even better to play, although it works well with a keyboard and mouse.

Has anyone finished the game yet?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've got it now, installed it on Thursday and only played it briefly so far, up to that bit where you meet the mullah for the first time and your teamie grasses you up.

I did manage to get the Limited edition box set where basically you get a tin box and 4 postcards extra, not really a biggie.

I see what you mean about the controls, very odd, and my first reaction was 'I don't like this'. But I persevered and it grew on me.

Very good gameplay, superb graphics, very fluid movement and a joy to play. Can be frustrating where you get killed sometimes but I suppose you could say that about any fps.

I've been a bit busy lately but will try and play some more today.

And yes, I wondered if a gamepad might be more suitable, I will try my Logi cordless pad with it.

I ordered Dungeon Keeper 2 from Tescos for a fiver - free delivery - and it was scheduled to be posted to me April 22nd. I've just had an e-mail saying it now won't be posted until April 24th.

I've a funny feeling it's out of stock everywhere and discontinued and that Tescos won't deliver. We shall see.

To order from Tescos I had to sign up for a bloody club card and their online shopping and now they keep spamming me :mad:

I suppose I could unsubscribe but annoying nonetheless.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I've a funny feeling it's out of stock everywhere and discontinued and that Tescos won't deliver.

Most places seem to have sold out - someone was complaining about not being able to get it "anywhere" three months ago (saw that on another Forum.) They say they have 10 in stock HERE Flopps and if you weren't too bothered about second hand, then it looks like Oxfam have a copy too. HERE Priced at £8.99 and £5.99 respectively.

:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Stick with Assassins Creed, because the controls will grow on you once you reach the halfway point and you get extra abilities :) You'll see what I mean once you get to that point (I don't want to give anything away) ;)

If you have a good gamepad it might be worth a go :thumb:

Ask a Question