Windows XP Arrange Icon By Name In Save As Window

Reaction score
When I’ve worked on a document to either change it or save it, in Word (Office 2007) I click ‘Save As’ the window appears that asking where you want to save it and where you can give it a name. On my PC when this comes up I choose to go to My Documents and all the folders in this view are jumbled up into what appears to be the last date they were modified whereas I prefer to always have them in alphabetic order. Same thing happens when I go into the folder, all the files within the folder are in like ‘last modified date order’ rather than 'name' order and I end up having to right click in the ‘Save As’ window and click “Arrange Icons by Name” to get then back into order. I've tried lots of things but end up having to go through the same routine each time. It’s annoying to keep doing this all the time so why doesn’t the ‘Save As’ window remember the selected ‘Arrange Icon by Name’ option instead it going to the 'Last Modified Date' Does anyone have any suggestions PLEASE?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi Pip5457 and welcome to PCR.
happywave.gif

You may have accidently (or deliberately) changed your folder settings. My own documents all appear in alphabetical order and I assume that is the default setting.

You haven't mentioned whether you're on XP or Vista and, of course, they are completely different.

In XP when in Documents go to Tools > Folder Options > View and then click on Reset All Folders.

In Vista when in Documents go to Organise > Folder and Search Options > View and click on Reset Folders.

Hope it helps. At least you will be back to Default.
happywave.gif

Just noticed you're in the XP forum. :blush:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks 'Yorkshire Cruncher' I'll give it a try and let you know. Oftern it works OK for awhile then when I either restart Windows or another document it reverts back.

Cheers,
Pip

Ask a Question