Are you a customer of Mesh Computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Good luck with getting the pc back, hope all works OK, post back when you get the pc back.

Reaction score
Should We Give Mesh A Chance ???

So, unsurprisingly, Mesh has appeared on BBC Watchdog …….
http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/reports/consumer_goods/consumer_20070502.shtml

As a result Mesh has made some “solemn pledges” to improve their incompetent and disreputable Customer Service. Well, I think we should give Mesh a chance. After all Mesh was an excellent company in the 1990s and we all benefit from having a variety of retailers competing for customers, providing they treat their customers fairly. I believe the two current directors of Mesh, Mr. S and Mr. P were the two who established the company in 1987 and presided over the good times for the company and its customers in the 1990s. Many Mesh Victims have suffered nightmares dealing with Amit Patel, and some of his staff in Customer Service like Rita Vekaria and Kadra Ismail, but it is possible that the two directors are not fully aware of just how appallingly Mesh Victims have been treated and perhaps they have been genuinely grappling to resolve these problems.

There may well be some Mesh Victims who think Mesh do not deserve a chance. Some may think Brent Trading Standards should ensure Mesh rectify their Customer Service and not just allow Mesh to respond to BBC Watchdog with “solemn pledges”. Some may think Mesh would have been prepared for an appearance on BBC Watchdog and had their “solemn pledges” response already drafted. Some may think these “solemn pledges” are just empty words. Some may think that the appalling Customer Service is a deliberate policy to deter Mesh Victims from claiming the refund or the repairs under warranty to which they are entitled. Some may think the two directors have concluded that Mesh are doomed because of the competition from retailers like Dell and Mesh Victims are being denied refunds and repairs to enable the company to stagger on for a few more years providing the directors with a good living. Some may think Mesh deliberately spend a lot on advertising, rather than Customer Service, because there are computer magazines and forums with editors devoid of integrity who are prepared to suppress the truth about Mesh Customer Service.

Well, it is possible that some, perhaps even all, these criticisms of Mesh are true, but I still think we should presume the “solemn pledges” are sincere. I would extend the hand of welcome to Davey and hope he starts helping Mesh Victims on this forum. To those sceptical Mesh Victims, I would say that if the “solemn pledges” are indeed empty words, then they would surely be exposed as such on this influence-free forum, unlike on “Another Forum” I could mention.

Together we might just be making a difference !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:
Regards,
MeshVictim :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Mesh Victim
happywave.gif

Davey emailed me recently when I posted on Mesh's own forum, seems he does not like what I said about mesh. Seems I have 'carte blanche' to post on this forum which is complete rubbish! But not on mesh's own one, seems more like they (mesh) want to keep their appalling lack of customer service quiet to potential new victims, oops I mean customers.

I would be the first to welcome Davey & mesh if the decided to come buy here and listen, instead mesh do it a bit stealthily on the quiet. I have always found that strange, after all we all want the same result in mesh providing the good level of care that they used to provide to their customers.

Seems though that ‘other forums’ don’t rock the boat due to the amount of revenue mesh pay to advertise with so many pc mags. All very sad really that a once great computer company is now being shown on Watchdog to be a 2nd rate player these days.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I still read this thread, still keep an eye on it.

You know, what's sad is Mesh's whole attitude.

From what I can glean they just want to take the money and run. Pay lots for advertising then cut and run.

As I said, this is what it looks like to me from what I've read.

But history proves that those businesses that build up a good following, usually by word of mouth, and also provide good customer service - prosper.

They make lots of money and they can also hold their heads high and feel good, you know - sleep easy at night.

I cite Kustom PC's and Chillblast as good examples. Amazon is another.

Yes, that's right - Amazon - a billion dollar industry.

Commenting from what I've read it seems Mesh really don't understand. They pay thousands to have their name on some football team's strip (what team is that btw?) yet cannot even pay a few people a lowly wage to man a decent helpline.

And again - from what I've read - they appear to be fools.

The sad thing is is that there are even more gullible fools who fall for glossy reviews and falsified reviews.

I will add here that all my above comments stem from what I've read and may all be completely unjustified.

Know what I mean? ;)

And as an end note, I have expressed in the past that I was sick to death of PCR hosting all the Mesh-bashing messages, but of late it's been fairly restrained here, Watchdog ran their program on the Beeb, Mesh made what seems like empty promises and it seems it goes on just the same.

So, as it's been fairly quiet on the Mesh front, I felt like commenting.

Please don't let my opinion as a moderator here be carte blanche for a flurry of Mesh-bashing threads and posts, remember, their lawyers are watching ;)

Reaction score
Well it came back last weekend, but i've not had a chance to give it a proper road test until last night.

The job report (the pink carbon copy) you get with your machine says that it was a faulty graphics card, that the fan wasn't spinning on it, which does concern me a bit as, although i said before i thought it was a problem with the card overheating the fan was working at least. The card was replaced with an identical one (Ati x1650).

As usual, seems fine browsing, using anything windows based, and games like Total War, GTA: SA and Football Manager all run fine still, but, and you'll love this bit, the problem exists still! xD

I've decided to sort it out myself this time and will get it up on the desk tomorrow when i can spare the time (it's crashing during heavy graphic load; Planetside, EVE, Movie Maker so any suggestions welcome).

Whatever the problem turns out to be, i'm now sure that they didn't bother trying to recreate the problem at the repair centre as it doesn't take long and isn't hard to do - 20 minutes, at the most, the software i left on there for them.

They've had my machine for a total of 40 days on two visits, i've run out of patience. I called the customer service line, told them that they hadn't fixed it but to mark my account as "DESPAIR", in bold, and that i'd sort it myself. No attempt to ask why from the guy on the other end, or any kind of apology or even a recognition of any kind of poor service. Actually, i do him a dis-service - personally, he sounded really quite sad, but i doubt that was anything to do with my call. If anyone happens to read this and knows who that fella was, tell him to cheer up a bit, bless him :)

Thanks for your support folks - i'll not abandon the forums, but i rarely post as much as i have these last few weeks :p

A

Reaction score
ERPing is Good for You !!!

ERPing is Good for You.

As a result of their appearance on BBC Watchdog on Wednesday 2nd May, Mesh have made some “Solemn Pledges” to improve their appalling Customer Service …….

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/reports/consumer_goods/consumer_20070502.shtml

It is very good news indeed that the Directors of Mesh are determined to rectify Mesh Customer Service. However, having read recent posts by Mesh Victims, it seems there are still some people in Mesh Customer Service who are letting the company down. If you are a Mesh Victim and having problems with Mesh Customer Service, please will you ERP to ensure the Directors of Mesh realise that there are still some problems.
ERPing is Good for You, you will feel better afterwards, so please …….

E R P

So how do you ERP ??? Well, it is simple, just write a couple of sentences about the worst aspects of your experience of Mesh Customer Service. You could probably write dozens, but there is no need to, because similar complaints will have already been submitted many times. Remember BBC Watchdog have received “hundreds of complaints” and Trading Standards, over the years, perhaps thousands, so you need only write a couple of sentences. Consider including the name of the person in Mesh Customer Service who has let you down, your Mesh Order Number and your personal contact details (except when posting on Computer Forums). If you think a Computer Magazine or Forum has misled you or suppressed the truth about Mesh Customer Service, then you might wish to consider including that aswell. Now you can ERP and the Directors of Mesh will be made aware of the continuing shortcomings and hopefully take the appropriate action …….

E is for Email

Email BBC Watchdog by filling in this form :-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/contact_computers.shtml
If that link fails, you can access the form from here :-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/contact_index.shtml
Or from the Homepage :-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/index.shtml
Or send to :-
(e-mail address removed)
Please note if you have a malfunctioning Mesh computer the postal address is :-
Watchdog,
BBC TV,
London,
W12 7TS.

Email Which? :-
(e-mail address removed)
Or
(e-mail address removed)
Please note if you have a malfunctioning Mesh computer the postal address is :-
Which?,
Castlemead,
Gascoyne Way,
Hertford,
SG14 1LH.

R is for Ring

Ring Consumer Direct who will record your complaint and pass details of it to Brent Trading Standards :-
Consumer Direct >>>>>>> O8454 04 05 06

P is for Post
Post details of your nightmare with Mesh Customer Service on Computer Forums. Please note that some Computer Forums are hostile to people posting the truth about Mesh Customer Service and it is unwise to reveal your personal contact details.

For Mesh Victims who are extremely dedicated to the cause of rectifying Mesh Customer Service, you could also :-

Let the Computer Magazine Publishers know about what is still wrong with Mesh Customer Service, preferably by letter since they will all be inundated by emails, these six publishers apparently produce most of the dozens of Computer Magazines in the UK :-
1) CNET Networks UK Ltd, International House, 1 St. Katherines Way, London, E1W 1UN
2) Dennis Publishing Ltd, 30 Cleveland Street, London, W1T 4JD
3) VNU
4) Future Publishing Ltd., Beauford Court, 30 Monmouth Street, Bath, BA1 2BW
5) Haymarket Magazines Ltd, 38-42 Hampton Road, Teddington, Middlesex, TW11 OJE
6) Live Publishing, Europa House, Adlington Park, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK10 4NP, United Kingdom
Suggested email addresses :-
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)

Let Computer Magazine Editors know about what is still wrong with Mesh Customer Service. Listing of British Computer Magazines :-
http://www.wrx.zen.co.uk/mags/corner.htm

Finally, please mention to other Mesh Victims about ERPing and feel free to copy and paste this post onto other Computer Forums.

Hopefully, by Mesh Victims ERPing, the Directors of Mesh will become aware of what is still wrong with Mesh Customer Service and of those employees who are letting the company down, which will enable them to take the necessary action to ensure Mesh provide adequate Customer Service in the future.

Together we might just be making a difference !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best Wishes to All Mesh Victims and Enjoy your ERPing,

Reaction score
Hi

Let me introduce myself - im a long standing user of Mesh Customer Support - having returned my pc 8 or 9 times (to get the same fault fixed) - and am still waiting to get a working computer!

However before I add any meaningful comments about the subject of Mesh and their need to improve both internal and external communication, ive got a comment about the site.
When I go to do a forum search, the search engine omits the word "Mesh" as it is regarded as "too common".
Ok it does the same when searching for "Dell" but lists forums for "Toshiba"

Surely if a review site is to be useful in enabling people to pick up others feedback, so that they can make an informed decision for purchase, being able to search on major hardware suppliers names would be a useful tool?

Just a thought!

All the best
Lindsay

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Lindsay31 said:
Hi

Let me introduce myself - im a long standing user of Mesh Customer Support - having returned my pc 8 or 9 times (to get the same fault fixed) - and am still waiting to get a working computer!

However before I add any meaningful comments about the subject of Mesh and their need to improve both internal and external communication, ive got a comment about the site.
When I go to do a forum search, the search engine omits the word "Mesh" as it is regarded as "too common".
Ok it does the same when searching for "Dell" but lists forums for "Toshiba"

Surely if a review site is to be useful in enabling people to pick up others feedback, so that they can make an informed decision for purchase, being able to search on major hardware suppliers names would be a useful tool?

Just a thought!

All the best
Lindsay

The forum's search engine is part of the software used - vb_bulletin.

Although vb_bulletin is emminently tweakable I don't believe we can make adjustments to the search engine process.

So - sorry about that but I can see you're a remakably capable fellow and you managed to find this thread ;)

And the reason the word 'Mesh' is so common is because we are one of those rarities - a forum free of back handers in the form of advertising revenue from untrustworthy suppliers.

I hope that explanation has given you some insight and - welcome to the forum :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The search engine software can't index things less than 5 words in length, as it would be far too difficult to index - imagine the ammount of times "the", "and"" etc... are posted. This is the main Mesh thread so most of the things you want to find will be in here :)

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for the replies - it is an impressive thread!
And it comes up second on the forum list if you type in Dell Customer support!

And Im very glad to hear that you are not biased by advertising revenues - ***** (5 Stars)
I have had some very interesting responses from another computer hardware forums director, suggesting that both BBC Watchdog research and Which? Surveys are based on a single personal bad experience, and that they are motivated by a personal vendetta! Umm yes unbelievable! (To the best of my knowledge both BBC Watchdog and Which? are well reputationed and reputable consumer research bodies!)

Thanks again for your welcome to your forum,
all the best
Lindsay

Reaction score
Hi

Im updating you on my Mesh Computer!
Ive just received an email from Davey of Mesh Support

My reply ...... gives where Im at!

All the best
Lindsay

Hi Davey,

Thanks for your private message. Thanks for updating me on the progress, and notifying me that the engineer is looking at my computer though I am concerned that he has not found “any of the faults reported”. I have enclosed a detailed description of the fault my computer is experiencing, though this is essentially the same as the error report I dictated to your Technical support staff in July 2006 and for the returns thereafter.

However, I believe, due to the large number of returns (and swapped harddrives) that your technical staff are unable to fix the problem. I am still looking to receive a stable and working computer from Mesh or another supplier. A computer which regularly wipes the hard drive and all my data does not fit this category. Thus I am still requesting a new computer (with none of the original components) or a full refund.

Best regards
Lindsay

The fault is both intermittent and degenerative.
There are three distinct phases.
The computer in the repair centre is in phase 2.

Phase 1) Computer working correctly
Just after resetting the CMOS and installing a new hard drive, the computer appears to work correctly, and the hard drive is accessable by boot cd-roms (including Norton Antivirus)

Phase 2) Progressive degeneration which is marked by:-
Cat scratching noises coming out of the speakers whilst playing spider (potential shorting noise)
Lack of access to the SCSI hard drive by boot cd-roms
Occasional loss of hardware peripheries at boot up including CD rom drive, DVD drive and components on the mother board including network card.
A marked increase in time to boot into Windows / Linux.
PC fails to be able to run the F10 Mesh recovery options due to corrupted MBR, including restore MBR and full system restore.

Phase 3) Catastrophic crash of operating system
In Windows the blue screen of death appears. Linux freezes
On reboot the computer is unable to load the operating system / grub.
Either boot up files (eg ntrdr) are corrupted or the MBR (Master boot record) on the SCSI disk is so severely damaged that it cannot be read.
This is what happened last time. As files (a word doc and a music mp3) were open on the data partition of the hard drive, the MBR of this partition was also destroyed. The corruption was so severe that the windows recovery disk could not pick up the formatting on these drives.
The hard drive will, however, pass the manufacturers systems tests indicating that it is working correctly.
Regular loss of hardware peripheries at boot up including CD rom drive, DVD drive, SCSI drive and components on the mother board including network card and bios.

The problem occurs at boot up, so running a testing program over the weekend which does not include power down and up is unlikely to trigger the progressive degeneration in phase 2.

Phase 1 lasts for the initial formatting of the hard drive and installation of Windows XP. Normally the CMOS needs to be reset before starting this process to “recover” missing hardware components.

Phase 2 lasts between one week and a month, and the degeneration occurs over 50-100 boot ups. The computer is returned from the MESH repair centre in this phase.
Given that the computer as submitted is about half way through the collapse (indicated by speed of boot up into windows and regularity of cat scratching noises), a better way of experiencing the degeneration would be by installing all the 50 Windows updates by hand (as supplied by MESH in the drivers folder) doing all the necessary boot ups as required.

The Catastrophic crashes occur with normal pc usage – (ie in Windows) and I usually have between 2 –5 applications open.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
While I will not presume to know the ins-n-outs of Mesh's diagnostic program, I read that they are telling you there is a problem, but may take a month to pinpoint the actual cause. :confused:

Sorry, to me that is unacceptable ... If I could not "find the fault" within three days, I built a brand spanking new PC for the customer ... then again, that was my high "standards" to customer relations.

I would then take my time, and at my leisure, in reassessing the problem PC ... I was a very small company, but my customers came first.

Still, I'm pleased to see they (Mesh) have the knowledge to use Linux as a tool to diagnosing faults. :thumb:

Good Luck!
:user:

Reaction score
Hi

Sorry to disappoint you, but the fault report is mine not Mesh’s! Mesh’s current engineer response is “ couldn’t find any of the errors reported”.

Mesh’s translation of this report (from their Service Activity reports generated by their repair centre) comes out as
“Computer freezing constantly on windows games and application software. Also there is a scratching noise. Has run F10 but still the same problem”
“problems with HDD”
“bad error. Disk boot error”
“Fatal error”
“Cust received the system back from repair and still crashing”
“Having problem with her pc”
“Not loading os”
And typically what they do to fix it is swap the hard drive – even though its working correctly.
I think there has been 8/9 new hard drives in it so far!

It must be noted however, on the previous return the engineer had “tested the computer for hours/days” but had not (at any in the process) gone into the windows environment. Windows was still installing machine specific drivers on initial boot up! Ie the pc was returned on the second phase of installing windows!

I had been though a couple of cycles of return to repair from when I initially received my pc in March 2005. (It wasn’t booting up when first received.) Even after repair, it continued crashing. It was such I nightmare and took so long in the repair centre that I decided to investigate the problem myself. New hard drive, Ram and installed Linux (breezy badger)– Same problem, same degeneration to collapse. It effectively eliminates software along with the fact the problems are observable on boot up! So I started the return to repair cycle again in July 2006. On all returns I have explained that the problem is not the hard drive.

Im not convinced that all of Mesh’s technicians are up to scratch on Linux – given some of the discussions Ive had. Though some – ok at least one – Joseph – seems to know what hes talking about!

The thing I cant understand – is why Mesh don’t consider their bottom line / profitability! Its costing them to have my pc going repeatedly into repair and is bad for their customer service image. If their engineers cant fix the problem – they should provide me a new one or give me a full refund. I have been requesting a full refund (multiple times in writing) since 2nd April 2005.

I hope this time I get somewhere, and thanks for you support,
All the best
Lindsay

Reaction score
The fact mesh have a turnaround of a month may let you guess how many RTB's they have.
However if Davey at mesh is on the case at least let him/they have your PC so they can do a soak test to see if the problem's appear again within their workshop.
If you really dont want to RTB your PC to mesh then you have to decide what to do next.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry to disappoint you, but the fault report is mine not Mesh’s! Mesh’s current engineer response is “ couldn’t find any of the errors reported”.
Ouch! Sorry, I thought you were quoting Mesh ... :lol:

I thought it was a to in-depth an investigation from Mesh, now I know. :thumb:

:user:

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry my pc on its the 7th RTB on this error report / description, and from experience it takes over a month to go through RTB. Shortest time from notifying to receiving the repaired pc is 6 weeks, longest over 4 months!
They dont seem to be able to fix it either....

thanks for your support
Lindsay

Reaction score
Hi Lindsay31 :)

Lindsay31 said:
Hi, Sorry, my pc is on its 7th RTB on this error report .......
thanks for your support
Lindsay
Welcome to the PC Review Forum Lindsay31
happywave.gif

The forum with the best set of emoticons by far :D

As you know, if Consumer Direct confirm you are entitled to a refund, I really think you should consider getting one from Mesh
nod.gif

Consumer Direct >>>>>>> O8454 04 05 06

Dealing with Mesh Customer Service is a nightmare and it can lead to both behavioural and health problems :eek:

Several Mesh Victims like COGNITO, Lovepeaceguru, murdoch and myself have been served with ASBOs by the Moderators here as a result of inappropriate posting. I managed to get a refund and, although I needed psychiatric treatment for over a year to get over my nightmare experience, I am now the same sad old git I was before I made the mistake of ordering from Mesh in February 2005 :thumb:

Sadly the outcome may not be so satisfactory if you have to continue living with a Mesh computer longterm. One of the most tragic cases I have heard about is that of the Young Cruncher feckit. He has been living with a malfunctioning Mesh computer longterm which has caused severe behavioural problems, he has had more ASBOs served on him than any other forum member, he is now a Certified Cruncher and spends most of his life in a padded cell. It really is a most tragic case :(

You do not want to risk ending up like feckit, so please do consider getting a refund and remember that your money will buy a higher spec computer today than when you originally bought from Mesh
nod.gif

I recently read on another forum about a Mesh Victim receiving a refund without too much hassle. Let us all hope this is a sign that Mesh Customer Service is really improving and that you can get a refund aswell
nod.gif

Together we might just be making a difference !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:
Best Wishes,

Reaction score
Hi Meshvictim,

Thanks for the welcome.
My guess is that your name indicates that you have experienced Mesh's legendary customer support!
And I hope not to write anything that would warrant an Asbo!!!

And an update on my situation...... Ive just sent this email to Davey.....
..... Im breaking the cycle of return and repair.

Thanks again
Lindsay

Dear Davey,

I do not want my original computer back.
Hence I have refused to sign for it.

The goods are faulty.

I continue to request a new computer (with none of the original components) or a full refund.

Best regards
Lindsay

Reaction score
The Mesh Experience

murdoch said:
My own experience of Mesh was that i paid £1700 for a pc that did not work properly & took months to sought out. Since then the pc has worked fine apart from a few minor problems.

I do however think it's wrong to charge 60p for the help line to which most people spend at least 20 minutes on before getting an answer, this will up to this point have cost you £20!

I'm not out to get Mesh or have a grudge against them, all i want is fair treatment for all Mesh customers.

Please post your own experiences of Mesh so a balanced view can be seen by all.

I purchased a Mesh in Oct 2006 because the previous Mesh gave me such good service. Oh how things have changed! After 2 days the hard disc wasn't recognised. I physically took it back to the service dept-they replaced the drive one week later it went again!

I then asked to see the Service Manager who kept me waiting for 30 minutes
and demanded a refund. He promised to rebuild the machine and delivered it 7 days later.

After 3 months the machine died and this time I made an appointment with the MD who promised me a brand new machine which took 4 weeks.

In the meantime the service dept told me the motherboard on the old machine was the problem all along so obviously it wasn't tested after assembly or checked after repair!

The new computer has been working fine so far and even though my problems were solved I wouldn't buy another one. It was only because I was able to visit Mesh that the problem was sorted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question