Any opinions on this PSU?

kony

So you would rather have a PSU fail (at an inconvenient moment)
have to take it out of the case, box it up, call for an RMA number,
address the box, and either call UPS or take it to UPS yourself.
*ON TOP* of the shipping charges. Your time must not be worth
very much. And, if no spare was handy, you'd have a dead computer
while your "bargain" PSU was repaired and sent back to you.

Actually, the ENTIRE WORLD prefers this, because the chance
of it happening is so remote relative to the cost savings.
And, of course you compare the *retail* price of the
PCP&C unit to the discounted Internet price of this other PSU when
you talk about this massive premium. OK...

I compare actual purchase price.
I encouraged you to link a competitive price but you didn't.
Go ahead and do that... I dont' think you can.

And what tells you that the three PCP&C PSUs pictured (I'll take
your word that they're PCP&C PSUs) were manufactured by Seasonic?

You can't even recognize a PC P&C PSU?
I give up, we have nothing more to discuss.

kony

You have posted URLs for pictures that somebody labeled as "360"
and "410" on the heatsinks, and are comparing them with another
PSU only labeled as "PC Modding Malaysia" with different heatsinks
(is that the one you say is a Seasonic?) and are saying that *this*
is proof that the Silencer 610 is actually a Seasonic S12-600?
That is a stretch even for you. Please explain your "logic."

Yes, one was a Seasonic, the other two the corresponding PC
P&C products I typed right after the links, same as was
written on their 'sinks.

In other words, that's all you got.

That's all I bothered to mention till you come up with any
argument other than "you don't know therefore it must be a
mystery".

If you are happy using PC P&C PSU, great. It doesn't mean
every model they sell is a good choice for anyone else even
if "some" of them are very good units.

UCLAN

kony said:
Yes, one was a Seasonic, the other two the corresponding PC
P&C products I typed right after the links, same as was
written on their 'sinks.

But NONE of them are the Silencer 610, are they? So the question
remains (and you keep avoiding it) where is your evidence that
the Silencer 610 is actually a Seasonic S12-600?

Why are you avoiding answering this?

UCLAN

kony said:
Actually, the ENTIRE WORLD prefers this, because the chance
of it happening is so remote relative to the cost savings.

Ah, now you are speaking for the ENTIRE WORLD. Apparently, the
world disagrees, as premium PSU vendors flourish.
I compare actual purchase price.

Yes. RETAIL purchase price for the PCP&C PSU versus discounted web
price for the Seasonic. Hardly a fair comparison, and you know it.
I encouraged you to link a competitive price but you didn't.

I posted a link to a vendor that sold BOTH units (an orange/orange
comparison) and invited you to do the same. The PCP&C Silencer 610
was $4 cheaper than the Seasonic S12-600. Can you find any vendors
that carry BOTH PSUs that charge much more for the PCP&C PSU?
You can't even recognize a PC P&C PSU?
I give up, we have nothing more to discuss.

Your reading disorder surfaces again. I said that I'd take your word
that the supplies are PCP&C supplies, although there is nothing in
the photos identifying them as such. Besides, according to you they
are actually rebadged Seasonic supplies. Hell, they could be
SS-400HS Active PFC units for all the pictures show.

Don't go away yet. You haven't admitted you were wrong yet.

kony

Ah, now you are speaking for the ENTIRE WORLD. Apparently, the
world disagrees, as premium PSU vendors flourish.

You still don't seem to get it. Premium PSU vendors
flourish because they make more money per unit, not by
volume. Additionally, it's not just "premium vs non-", we
were addressing the cost overhead of specific PC P&C models
versus similar "premium" alternatives in the market.

Yes. RETAIL purchase price for the PCP&C PSU versus discounted web
price for the Seasonic. Hardly a fair comparison, and you know it.

If you can't even provide a couple of examples of any
discounted prices for PC P&C that make them cost
competitive, we'll have to assume you're FOS.

The only possible fair price comparison is what we can
ACTUALLY BUY, ACTUALLY PAY. Your random thoughts are
nonsense if not followed by real examples of a product that
can be purchased.

I posted a link to a vendor that sold BOTH units (an orange/orange
comparison) and invited you to do the same. The PCP&C Silencer 610
was $4 cheaper than the Seasonic S12-600. Can you find any vendors
that carry BOTH PSUs that charge much more for the PCP&C PSU?

Pretty weak argument you're making, do you have a gun to
your head so you could only purchase from this one vendor?
If not, it's quite irrelevant whether a vendor carries both.

Your reading disorder surfaces again. I said that I'd take your word
that the supplies are PCP&C supplies, although there is nothing in
the photos identifying them as such. Besides, according to you they
are actually rebadged Seasonic supplies. Hell, they could be
SS-400HS Active PFC units for all the pictures show.

Don't go away yet. You haven't admitted you were wrong yet.

You are such a confused person.

kony

But NONE of them are the Silencer 610, are they?

Yes, one was a direct link from the PC P&C product page for
the Silencer 610.
So the question
remains (and you keep avoiding it)

.... don't you mean that you keep denying reality?
where is your evidence that
the Silencer 610 is actually a Seasonic S12-600?

Why are you avoiding answering this?

Here's something for you to ponder:

If it weren't, that still doesn't support your notion of it
being worth more $, which I have already demonstrated is the
case with several REAL EXAMPLES of products that can be
purchased.

UCLAN

kony said:
The only possible fair price comparison is what we can
ACTUALLY BUY, ACTUALLY PAY. Your random thoughts are
nonsense if not followed by real examples of a product that
can be purchased.

The only possible fair price comparison is by using a vendor who
sells both products, thereby ensuring equal overhead, etc. You
have yet to provide such a site where the Silencer 610 sells
for more than the Seasonic S12-600. I have provided a URL that
sells them both, and the PCP&C product was $4 cheaper than the
Seasonic product.
Pretty weak argument you're making, do you have a gun to
your head so you could only purchase from this one vendor?
If not, it's quite irrelevant whether a vendor carries both.

As far as comparing relative expense, it's quite relevant. Posting
that Vendor A sells Product X for less than Vendor B sells Product Y
is quite irrelevant. As far as *buying* a product, then choosing
Vendor B may make sense. But for price *comparisons*, compare
oranges to oranges.
You are such a confused person.

Heh. First I'm "without a clue", and I "don't get it" and many other
off-topic remarks. Now I'm "a confused person."

Hell, *I'm* not the one posting links to pictures marked "360" and
"410" and claim this proves that the Silencer 610 is a "rebadged"
Seasonic S12-600.

So, who's confused?

UCLAN

kony said:
Yes, one was a direct link from the PC P&C product page for
the Silencer 610.

You evidently haven't clicked on that link. And which photo is of
the Seasonic? The one labeled "PC Modding Malaysia" ?? And which
model Seasonic is that?
... don't you mean that you keep denying reality?

That's not an answer. That's an attempt at using a snappy retort
to obscure the fact that you still haven't answered the question.
Here's something for you to ponder:

If it weren't, that still doesn't support your notion of it
being worth more $,

Worth more than what?
which I have already demonstrated is the
case with several REAL EXAMPLES of products that can be
purchased.

Ah, yes. The bargain 600w PSUs. Sure, they exist. So did Yugos
and Pintos. But that is a totally different subject.

The two subjects at hand are 1) Is the Silencer 610 a "rebadged"
Seasonics S12-600, and 2) what are the comparative prices on an
"orange to orange" basis, rather than on an "apples to oranges"
basis.

Please try to stay on these subjects.

kony

The only possible fair price comparison is by using a vendor who
sells both products,

Nope, and you know you're wrong.
A buyer does not care what kind of arbitrary stipulations
you want to pose, they'll buy where they choose to.
thereby ensuring equal overhead, etc.

We both know that's untrue. Taking vendors like Newegg and
Zipzoomfly for example, you can see 3 flash memory products
that both carry. Newegg may have 2 cheaper but Zipzoomfly
has the 3rd cheaper, the overhead varies per product, not
just per store.
You
have yet to provide such a site where the Silencer 610 sells
for more than the Seasonic S12-600. I have provided a URL that
sells them both, and the PCP&C product was $4 cheaper than the
Seasonic product.

It's sad that you now grasp at straws.
Do you really believe anyone out there is going to feel it's
necessary to buy either of these units from a place that
sells both? Of course not, all we have to care about is the
bottom line.

When you go to buy a car, is it necessary that the dealer
sells both Toyota and Honda for you to make a price
comparison? Of course not. You care what it'll actually
cost you to BUY IT.

It seems that now even you concede you are wrong and without
any reasonable argument, pose this silly requirement. We
both know better and you're now trolling.

kony

You evidently haven't clicked on that link. And which photo is of
the Seasonic? The one labeled "PC Modding Malaysia" ?? And which
model Seasonic is that?

You pretend to have knowledge about PC P&C units but can't
even recognize their link, can't even recognize a picture of
one, and most funny is you can't tell whether the pictures
are Seasonic or PC P&C while arguing there is no evidence
they're made by same company.

LOL

Wasn't it a clue when I POSTED THE MODEL NUMBER WITH THE
LINK?

Are you stupid?

UCLAN

kony said:
Nope, and you know you're wrong.
A buyer does not care what kind of arbitrary stipulations
you want to pose, they'll buy where they choose to.

You continue to edit out the truth. Comparing the relative expense
of two similar items, and the actual purchasing of the items, are
TWO SEPARATE THINGS. Would you compare the price of one cereal at
a discount supermarket with the price of a different cereal at a
7-11 type convenience store? Of course not. You'd compare the prices
at the same store. Anyone of at least average intelligence can
understand this, but you apparently cannot.
It's sad that you now grasp at straws.
Do you really believe anyone out there is going to feel it's
necessary to buy either of these units from a place that
sells both? Of course not, all we have to care about is the
bottom line.

Again, you substitute "buying" for "comparing the relative
expense." You must realize that you "apples/oranges" comparison
doesn't hold water. You cannot compare the RETAIL price of one
item with the discounted price of another. Simple, really.
When you go to buy a car, is it necessary that the dealer
sells both Toyota and Honda for you to make a price
comparison?

No, since CAR DEALERS typically don't sell competing brands. Such
is not the case with online electronics vendors, however. Your
example is as ludicrous as asking if I'd go to Panasonic's
website looking for Sony prices. Of course not, but places like
Circuit City or Best Buy sure sell both. Too bad there's not a
Circuit City or Best Buy for cars.
It seems that now even you concede you are wrong and without
any reasonable argument, pose this silly requirement. We
both know better and you're now trolling.

Ah, now I'm trolling. Let me add that to the list. It seems as
though you are trying to convince yourself that you are correct.

Good luck on that.

UCLAN

kony said:
You pretend to have knowledge about PC P&C units but can't
even recognize their link, can't even recognize a picture of
one, and most funny is you can't tell whether the pictures
are Seasonic or PC P&C while arguing there is no evidence
they're made by same company.

I've never said I could identify a PCP&C PSU from a photo of a
PSU with its cover removed. As far as recognizing a link, what
does that mean? The tiny PSU pictured in the URL you gave could
be anything. I'm supposed to *assume* it's a Silencer 610? Because
you say so? Your original message *and* the URL identify it as a
Silencer 470. Forget what you posted?

MESSAGE-ID <[email protected]>

I contend that there is little or no evidence that the PSUs in
your second URL (the ones marked "360" and "410" were made by
the same manufacturer as the PSU in the first URL (PC Modding Malaysia.)

And these photos do NOTHING to support your contention that the PCP&C
Silencer 610 is just a "rebadged" Seasonics S12-600. The only photos
that are identified show different harnesses and chassis. That plus
the different current ratings tells me you're full of equine manure.

And you *still* haven't said what model Seasonic PSU is shown in
the "PC Modding Malaysia" photo, and why you think that.
LOL

Wasn't it a clue when I POSTED THE MODEL NUMBER WITH THE
LINK?

It confuses me when the URL says "S47D", and in the message you
write "...and the Silencer 470", but now you claim it is the
Silencer 610.
Are you stupid?

No, but one of us sure is.

kony

You continue to edit out the truth.
LOL.

Nope.

Comparing the relative expense
of two similar items, ...

Well now we're getting somewhere, you've admitted they're
similar.
...and the actual purchasing of the items, are
TWO SEPARATE THINGS. Would you compare the price of one cereal at
a discount supermarket with the price of a different cereal at a
7-11 type convenience store? Of course not.

If buying a power supply, I'd compare the price of each
contender at any and all places I'd consider buying a power
supply from.

IT DOES NOT GET ANY MORE RELEVANT THAN THAT.

You'd compare the prices
at the same store.

If everyone sold PC P&C, "maybe" that would be more
realistic. At it is, we don't have to care, only the end
result, that what it costs is what it costs (duh?).

Do argue that we have to arbitrarily find one place that
sells both is madness, particularly when there is no
shortage of places selling one of them for significantly
less money, as I'd already demonstrated and offered to
further demonstrate, which we both know is TRUE hence your
atttempt to pretend a buyer will care (and it can be the
only applicable context, as they are PRODUCTS FOR SALE). So
all we need to know is, can it be bought cheaper, at a
reasonable number of stores? The answer is clearly YES IT
CAN.

kony

I've never said I could identify a PCP&C PSU from a photo of a
PSU with its cover removed.

Fortunately you didn't have to, because I'd mentioned what
they were. However, the picture in question was linked from
PC P&C product page so there's really no excuse for
ignorance about it, and further, anyone with half a clue
could see the link had the PC Power & Cooling website URL in
it. These are very basic things which you are subjectively
choosing to ignore because they don't support your half
baked arguments.

As far as recognizing a link, what
does that mean? The tiny PSU pictured in the URL you gave could
be anything. I'm supposed to *assume* it's a Silencer 610? Because
you say so? Your original message *and* the URL identify it as a
Silencer 470. Forget what you posted?

Did you go to the PC Power & Cooling website ever in your
life? If so, you'd notice there are links... dare I suggest
you do the tiniest bit of research on what you already
pretend to be knowledgeable about?

MESSAGE-ID <[email protected]>

I contend that there is little or no evidence that the PSUs in
your second URL (the ones marked "360" and "410" were made by
the same manufacturer as the PSU in the first URL (PC Modding Malaysia.)

Ok, I'm content with your contention and apathy now ends my
post.

John Doe

Notice to original cross posters: Please avoid cross posting to
kony's home group, especially if you're going to cross post to
(alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt). Thank You.

From: kony <spam spam.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.hardware
Subject: Re: Any opinions on this PSU?
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:40:41 -0400
References: <1qyo2njrkmufv$.3fssor1gjni6$.dlg 40tude.net> <hiFug.12392$6w.8124 fed1read11> <8mbnb2h9phglunfqeevjt1q9k182edb3ja 4ax.com> <2zQug.12400$6w.2103 fed1read11> <ha4ob2lmis2n33b54pm0p7ai4rpask03kp 4ax.com> <2Sjvg.12627$6w.6878 fed1read11> <h3ttb29v0s1ri00s5qmsv4arqgc3j33acb 4ax.com> <8AFvg.12816$6w.1649 fed1read11> <o8fvb297dp63o0dpuae5jo5ueldt5g7qgo 4ax.com> <mk_vg.14489$6w.11011 fed1read11> <mek1c25jqne9j1oag7863lndibvhcmb1p3 4ax.com> <8cawg.14503$6w.11171 fed1read11>

[...]

Exactly. Please don't cross post to (alt.comp.hardware),
kill two trolls (kony and Rod Speed) with one stone.

From: "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa gmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 10:32:26 +1000
References: <1qyo2njrkmufv$.3fssor1gjni6$.dlg 40tude.net> <hiFug.12392$6w.8124 fed1read11> <8mbnb2h9phglunfqeevjt1q9k182edb3ja 4ax.com> <2zQug.12400$6w.2103 fed1read11> <ha4ob2lmis2n33b54pm0p7ai4rpask03kp 4ax.com> <2Sjvg.12627$6w.6878 fed1read11> <h3ttb29v0s1ri00s5qmsv4arqgc3j33acb 4ax.com> <8AFvg.12816$6w.1649 fed1read11> <o8fvb297dp63o0dpuae5jo5ueldt5g7qgo 4ax.com> <mk_vg.14489$6w.11011 fed1read11> <mek1c25jqne9j1oag7863lndibvhcmb1p3 4ax.com> <8cawg.14503$6w.11171 fed1read11> <j4p2c2hcuept25vbr5ij7chsj9kpil96ke 4ax.com> <Xns9807BF266B98E0123456789 207.115.17.102>

Notice to jackbooted thugs, **** off.

John Doe <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote

Alex Delarge

Exactly. Please don't cross post to (alt.comp.hardware),
kill two trolls (kony and Rod Speed) with one stone.

I get it. This is one of those "anti-hero" threads in which there are
no good guys.

UCLAN

kony said:
LOL.

Nope.

Again, nifty edit. Congrats on figuring out a way to stifle the truth.
Well now we're getting somewhere, you've admitted they're
similar.

Yes. They're both ~600w ATX PSUs. Duh...
If buying a power supply,

Gee, you didn't answer the question. Typical.
...I'd compare the price of each
contender at any and all places I'd consider buying a power
supply from.

Again, you ignore the point. The point was NOT where can I buy product
A at the cheapest price, but how do product A and product B compare
price wise in an oranges to oranges comparison. You only want to know
the RETAIL PRICE of product B, and compare it to the discount price
of product A. Why don't you compare the RETAIL price of the S12-600
to the RETAIL price of the Silencer 600. Apples to apples.
IT DOES NOT GET ANY MORE RELEVANT THAN THAT.

If you're referring to my suggestion of comparing RETAIL prices of both
products, I agree.

Your argument that the Silencer 610 is overpriced when compared with
the S12-600 is without merit.

UCLAN

kony said:
Fortunately you didn't have to, because I'd mentioned what
they were.

And you wouldn't be mistaken or be untruthful, would you?
However, the picture in question was linked from
PC P&C product page so there's really no excuse for
ignorance about it, and further, anyone with half a clue
could see the link had the PC Power & Cooling website URL in
it. These are very basic things which you are subjectively
choosing to ignore because they don't support your half
baked arguments.

The link that had the PCP&C URL in it also identified it as a
Silencer 470. You noted in your post it was a Silencer 470. You
now contend that it is a Silencer 610. So, when you get done
waffling, tell us which one it is.
Did you go to the PC Power & Cooling website ever in your
life?

Yes. Have you ever directly answered a question in your life?

How come you are trying to use a photo that you say is of a S470
(and the URL says is a S470) as a photo of a S610? Did you forget
what you had posted. Do you now remember that you *haven't* posted
a picture of a S610?
If so, you'd notice there are links... dare I suggest
you do the tiniest bit of research on what you already
pretend to be knowledgeable about?

Huh? Research your use of a S470 photo as a S610 photo? Research your
use of a photo labeled only as ""PC Modding Malaysia" as a Seasonics
S12-600 photo? Exactly what do you want me to research?
Ok, I'm content with your contention and apathy now ends my
post.

Is that apathy or embarrassment?