Any Mechanics out there?

Reaction score
Wouldn't the teperature sensor have been found by the computer that is plugged in picking up fault codes?

The mechanic hasn't got back to me yet. He said Monday morning that he'd look up the code, called tuesday and he said he'd do it and it's now Wed lunch time. Grrrrr. Want it sorted.

On a seperate note, my back driver side tyre keeps going down. A few people have mentioned it could be the alloys as the paint is flaking off. is it worth going and getting the tyres off and the alloys cleaned up?

Bodhi

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
bodhi said:
Wouldn't the teperature sensor have been found by the computer that is plugged in picking up fault codes?

The mechanic hasn't got back to me yet. He said Monday morning that he'd look up the code, called tuesday and he said he'd do it and it's now Wed lunch time. Grrrrr. Want it sorted.

On a seperate note, my back driver side tyre keeps going down. A few people have mentioned it could be the alloys as the paint is flaking off. is it worth going and getting the tyres off and the alloys cleaned up?

Bodhi

At the moment the tyre goes down slowly . Imagine if it sudenly went flat as you were doing 70 on the motorway , you could loose control of the car and have a serious accident and suffer realy nasty injuries , worse still you may involve other people in an accident and maybe that would lead to loss of life .
You work out if its worth having the tyre checked out .
wallbash.gif

Reaction score
Thanks Abarbarian, that was an incredibly helpful reply.

Im getting it sorted, if you'd read it properly i was asking if taking the tyre off and cleaning the alloys would be the way to go.

Last edited:
Reaction score
bodhi said:

Bodhi

Take the car to a small independant garage I am sure you will be given better service.
As for the wheels get them checked and cleaned properly an alloy wheel is> especially if painted..
Susepetacle to corrosion and is very dangerous

Reaction score
OK, i'll go get them cleaned up, cheers Itsme.

I've just had the garage on the phone, the Mitsubishi mechanic said it won't be the stepper motor because when i was driving it was 'stepping up and down perfectly', he had that computer attached with all the readings.

He's looked up the 'speed sensor' fault code and says it can be one of three things:

1. Vehicle speed sensor (which is in gearbox on FTO's)
2. Wiring between ECU and vehicle speed sensor
3. Engine ECU

I've got it booked in next Tuesday and he says there are some simple checks he can do to determine which of these it is. Says it will be an hours labour (£65 + VAT) to tell me what the problem is. I don't think thats that bad. Only problem is, what it will cost to repair!!

I questioned if these things would make it cut out, he said it would if the car says it's doing 40mph and it's only doing 20mph etc etc. I don't get why it wouldn't happen all the time in that case, but im not a mechanic!! :lol:

Does this all seem reasonable Itsme? Hope so, im getting confused!! lol.

Reaction score
I've just had the garage on the phone, the Mitsubishi mechanic said it won't be the stepper motor because when i was driving it was 'stepping up and down perfectly', he had that computer attached with all the readings.
Thats about correct!

He's looked up the 'speed sensor' fault code and says it can be one of three things:

1. Vehicle speed sensor (which is in gearbox on FTO's)
2. Wiring between ECU and vehicle speed sensor
3. Engine ECU
It could be either one. I told you it is hard to determine a fault within the electrics.

I've got it booked in next Tuesday and he says there are some simple checks he can do to determine which of these it is. Says it will be an hours labour (£65 + VAT) to tell me what the problem is. I don't think thats that bad. Only problem is, what it will cost to repair!!

Once you know what it is get a price from several garages

I questioned if these things would make it cut out, he said it would if the car says it's doing 40mph and it's only doing 20mph etc etc. I don't get why it wouldn't happen all the time in that case, but im not a mechanic!!
laughingsmiley.gif
Yep it would make the engine think its doing something it isn`t
Does this all seem reasonable Itsme? Hope so, im getting confused!! lol

A main dealer will charge what it thinks so look at a small garage for a price?

Reaction score
OK, well, im booked in next tuesday for him to properly diagnose it, so once i know what it is i can shop around for someone to fix it. Hope its reasonably prices.

Regarding the wheels, ive just booked it into Nationwide, or something like that, tomorrow. They're going to check if any of the wheels have punctures and then take the wheels off and grind all the crap off the alloys then put them back on and reseal them. Going to do this for £12.50 per tyre, so about £50 all up. This sounds pretty reasonable to me????

Reaction score
bodhi said:
OK, well, im booked in next tuesday for him to properly diagnose it, so once i know what it is i can shop around for someone to fix it. Hope its reasonably prices.

Regarding the wheels, ive just booked it into Nationwide, or something like that, tomorrow. They're going to check if any of the wheels have punctures and then take the wheels off and grind all the crap off the alloys then put them back on and reseal them. Going to do this for £12.50 per tyre, so about £50 all up. This sounds pretty reasonable to me????

NTS [National Tyre Sevice] Thats a good price:thumb: and if the tyre goes down again take it back:D

Reaction score
itsme said:
NTS [National Tyre Sevice] Thats a good price:thumb: and if the tyre goes down again take it back:D

Haha, thats a good point. Hopefully they don't 'find' anything major wrong with the tyre and they just clean up the alloys etc. If it causes problems after that i'll be sure to get back to them!!

Quite looking forward to getting the car all up and running well. Thats if it doesn't cost a fortune!!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Good luck Bodhi with the repair and the alloys and tyre...Hope the cost isn't too steep...Do what others have said and get a prices from a couple of garages for the repair as they can differ wildly...

Just forked out £280 quid for my M.O.T repairs and certificate aswell so I know what its like trying to stay on a budget...:nod:

Reaction score
bodhi said:
Haha, thats a good point. Hopefully they don't 'find' anything major wrong with the tyre and they just clean up the alloys etc. If it causes problems after that i'll be sure to get back to them!!

Quite looking forward to getting the car all up and running well. Thats if it doesn't cost a fortune!!

IF! you have to return with a fault re: the tyre DONT pay extra as it should have been done properly in the first place;) Good luck:nod:

Reaction score
Cool, im sure the tyres will be fine, but thanks for the advice.

My main concern is the ECU etc. Could be a bad one!! :-/

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hi bodhi wasn't taking the micky mate . Was just pointing out the danger relating to your tyre in my own quirky way . No offence meant . Its always best to look at faults in important parts of vehicals straight away in my book . Good luck with the electrics .
happywave.gif

Reaction score
Cheers Abarbarian, sorry for being snappy, it's sometimes hard to work out humour on t'internet.

Just took it into the garage to get the tyres fixed. They were asking about the thing to get the wheel nuts off, i just remembered that the thing i have its broken and kind of taped together, oooops!! They said it could be about £40 to get a new one from Mitsubishi. Mind you, it's not Mitsubishi alloys on it!! This car business is a nightmare.

I'm willing to bet that my bill from the garage for the wheels isn't the £40 they said. Watch this space!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
They've just phoned and they can't do it and they're not charging me. It's the valves that are leaking, but i've got metal valves and they don't do metal valves. Im trying to find out who does now.

And to think, i thought computers were frustrating!! How do you do both Itsme, you must be a wreck!! :lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
bodhi said:
They've just phoned and they can't do it and they're not charging me. It's the valves that are leaking, but i've got metal valves and they don't do metal valves. Im trying to find out who does now.

And to think, i thought computers were frustrating!! How do you do both Itsme, you must be a wreck!! :lol:

Its much better when your working on other peoples pc's and cars cos your in heaven earning money every step of the way
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Hi bodhi wasn't taking the micky mate . Was just pointing out the danger relating to your tyre in my own quirky way . No offence meant . Its always best to look at faults in important parts of vehicals straight away in my book . Good luck with the electrics .
happywave.gif

The most important Nut/Bolt on a vehicle???? Is a lose one!!!!!

Reaction score
bodhi said:
Cheers Abarbarian, sorry for being snappy, it's sometimes hard to work out humour on t'internet.

Just took it into the garage to get the tyres fixed. They were asking about the thing to get the wheel nuts off, i just remembered that the thing i have its broken and kind of taped together, oooops!! They said it could be about £40 to get a new one from Mitsubishi. Mind you, it's not Mitsubishi alloys on it!! This car business is a nightmare.

I'm willing to bet that my bill from the garage for the wheels isn't the £40 they said. Watch this space!!!!!!!!!

What they have to do is> Split the original BOLT and replace.. Thats what costs the most.........????

Reaction score
bodhi said:

And to think, i thought computers were frustrating!! How do you do both Itsme, you must be a wreck!!
laughingsmiley.gif

Now you are Joking> A valve is metal whatever engine it is in unless you want MELTDOWN
wallbash.gif
> it has a stem, on the stem is placed a rubber seal> then the valve spring/s> then the securing clips. Now what the hell is leaking the valve seating- cylinder head or someones brain< if it were that you would be burnning oil at a tremendous rate IE: when you start the engine a it would be misfiring all the time BIG PUFF of blue smoke would come out of the exhaust??? and I doubt you would reach 70 MPH

Nope I is calm
nod.gif
it just annoys me to think that main dealers today dont know what the hell they are doing> you have been given really bad advice as far as the cutting out is concerned.... Take it for a Crypton tune/test to a small garage and I bet he will tell you exactly whats wrong;)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
He's talking about the tyres Itsme...... the tyre valves are leaking thats why the tyres are going down...
laughingsmiley.gif

Don't get your knickers in a twist...