Any Mechanics out there?

Reaction score
bodhi said:
Thats the electrics??? and without a computer he would not have a clue....

I didn't get that Itsme, was that sarcasm? Do you think it is an electrical problem??? If so any ideas? Someone had suggested it was maybe something earthing when im breaking hard??

Do you think he'll find it using a computer and fault codes?

Cheers for your help, its much appreciated.

Bodhi

No sarcasm ;) What it is today most if not all cars/vehicles has a computerised system for diagnostic checks. And the mechanics depend on the results BUT they are not always correct? Example a guy living next door had the same problem you have with a Ford Galaxy 2.3 v6 petrol the garage could not solve it.... He asked me to have a look... The problem was this> Whilst filling up with petrol a piece of PAPER entered the tank he did not know at the time it was about 1" long by 1 1/2" now when he drove the car the paper was floating around and sinking in the tank and eventualy it would go to the petrol exit feed to the engine and cut off the supply> thus STOP once he had stopped the paper would move away from the feed pipe and he could start the engine again.:nod: that is just one of a million reasons:wall:

Reaction score
Thats amazing!! lol.

Well, this sounds like it could be a needle in a haystack type of thing, which isn't good for me! Lets just pray that something comes out on his computer and that it's a simple (and cheap!!) fix to this annoying problem.

I'll keep you updated, i may need your expertise!! :D

Reaction score
bodhi said:
Thats amazing!! lol.

Well, this sounds like it could be a needle in a haystack type of thing, which isn't good for me! Lets just pray that something comes out on his computer and that it's a simple (and cheap!!) fix to this annoying problem.

I'll keep you updated, i may need your expertise!! :D

He thinks it may be something to do with the Variable Valve Timing. But he says he's not come across it before.

This is the point I am making, If it were the above ^ it would happen more frequently> what he is saying is the valve timming is controlled via a Biode sensor and or an electrical balance controller... It could be anything apart from what he thinks, if I had the car I could more than likely find the fault and rectify it in no time at all... but I need to drive it? it is like a computer one can solve a problem if one has it in front of them:D You only have to ask;)

Reaction score
OK, ive had it out for a drive with the mechanic, and the ONLY fault code the computer found was 'Speed Sensor'. He doesnt know why that would cause it to cut out. I did get it to cut out though. He didn't charge me anything for it, but he's going to go and look it up and try and work out if that could cause it to cut out.

If not, its a manual diagnosis, which i reckon will be expensive!! :-/

Reaction score
'Speed Sensor'

Problem is this>>>the resistance in the coils of the stepper increases when it's hot. Might be that yours is starting to fail when hot, won't be long till it starts to fail when cold IMO.

Tell the mechanic to check that see what he says:thumb:

Reaction score
I'll let him know, thanks for your advice. If this is the problem, what would be the fix? Replacing the sensor? Any idea of costs?

Thanks again.

Bodhi

Reaction score
Someone reckons it's idling too high. It's idling about 1100-1200 at the moment, i've been told 700 +/- 50 is what it should be at??

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
amazing, i googled 'fto idle speed' and the first result is THIS

looks interesting considering your last couple of posts

Reaction score
bodhi said:
I'll let him know, thanks for your advice. If this is the problem, what would be the fix? Replacing the sensor? Any idea of costs?

Thanks again.

Bodhi

He will know what needs to be done it is situated in such a place that! it will have to be cleaned and replaced with new. your revs are a bit high 700/800 should be OK! that is the problem when somthing aint right it knocks everything out of syncro.

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
amazing, i googled 'fto idle speed' and the first result is THIS

looks interesting considering your last couple of posts

Yep thats it in the old days it was called an automatic choke:lol:

Reaction score
Thats a good find Me_2001, it's looking more and more like the stepper motor all the time.

Does anyone know if this is something i need to replace or not? Looks from that forum that it's something that can be 'cleaned up'?? Im not sure i could do this myself, but if a mechanic does it, should i be looking at about an hours work?

Thanks for all your help guys, it's helping a LOT!! :)

Reaction score
bodhi said:
Thats a good find Me_2001, it's looking more and more like the stepper motor all the time.

Does anyone know if this is something i need to replace or not? Looks from that forum that it's something that can be 'cleaned up'?? Im not sure i could do this myself, but if a mechanic does it, should i be looking at about an hours work?

Thanks for all your help guys, it's helping a LOT!! :)

Five min job:nod: replace if need be...........

Reaction score
Oh, cool. That sounds ok. Mind you, i've had a look at FTO stepper motors on t'internet and they're about £300!!!! Thats NOT so good! :-/

Reaction score
bodhi said:
Oh, cool. That sounds ok. Mind you, i've had a look at FTO stepper motors on t'internet and they're about £300!!!! Thats NOT so good! :-/

Na you can get them for £80-£120 I will look tomorrow for you.;)
give me your chassis no: by sending a PM not on the forum?

Reaction score
Nice one. I assume buying that off t'internet would be alright?

I'll get Mr Mechanic to fit it, assuming that's what the problem is. It's not 100% thats what it is, and i dont want to replace it if it's not broken.

Oh, and where will i find my chassis number to send you?

Thanks again for all your help.

Reaction score
Nice one. I assume buying that off t'internet would be alright?
Should be ok

I'll get Mr Mechanic to fit it, assuming that's what the problem is. It's not 100% thats what it is, and i dont want to replace it if it's not broken.
Yes wait untill he confirms what it is before buying

Oh, and where will i find my chassis number to send you?
Its OK I don`t need it at the moment [ on the log book>VIN No]
Thanks again for all your help
Your welcome:)

Reaction score
re:

If it's not any of the above it will probably be the computers tempature sensor.If this sensor is worn and not making internal contact(all the time) it will shut the motor down.