Any Mechanics out there?

Reaction score
I've got a problem with my car, and it's going into the garage on Monday, just wanted to see if anyone has had anything similar at all?

It drives fine around town, and on reasonable distances, but if i take it on a longish journey, particularly when ive been doing high speeds for a fairly long time, motorways etc., it cuts out when i slow down. As im coming down from 70mph at a roundabout, lights or junction, when i get to about 5-10mph it just cuts out, like it's stalled. It's an automatic.

Any thought amigos?

Cheers.

Bodhi

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
are you sure its a automatic? :D
check you fuel and air filters, also check out the fuel pump

Reaction score
Make and model please will get back to you tomorrow > read my profile:nod:

Reaction score
Yes make and model would be helpful it sounds like it could be fuel related spark plugs should be checked too.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Does the Temp Gauge go up when your travelling fast . Have you got enough oil in and when did you last change the filter .
happywave.gif
If you have on board circuitry you could have trouble finding the fault , those are worse than pc's
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Thanks guys, it does sound like Itsme is the man for the job indeed! lol.

It's an 11 year old Mitsubish FTO. 2Litre V6, automatic/tiptronic gear box. It's been well looked after and it's in great nick. It's only if ive been travelling fast and quite a distance. All the guages look normal, it's not too hot and there's plenty oil.

Also, just so you know, i know hot to check the tyre pressure on a car and thats about it, so please excuse my ignorance!! lol.

Any help would be appreciated as it's going in to the Mitsibishi garage on Monday and i dont want to get ripped off. Problem is, its an intermittent fault.

Thanks.

Bodhi

Reaction score
Ok!

I take it as being petrol V6. I doubt it would be anything to do with the gearbox as the converter would make a crunching noise. Check all the wires are secure high/low voltage [tension cables] connected to the electrical equipment regarding the engine components if they are all ok do the following.

1st warm the engine to normal> open the bonnet> while the engine is ticking over take the oil filler cap off [be careful] now if the engine dies or fluctuates let me know which it does? While you have the oil filler cap off tell me what colour the gung is inside of the cap if it’s black your ok if its grey it isn’t.

This is a possible cause when it cuts out>get out of the car and quickly remove the petrol cap AND listen if there is a hissing sound as you open the cap?

As it is an intermittent fault it will be hard to trace and rectify.

Reaction score
Itsme, im not really that confident of doing what you suggest, i don't know anything about cars and wouldn't know what i was taking off etc etc. Sorry.

Yeah, the cars starts up straight away when it's cut out, just turn it off and on and keep driving like normal.

Ive just spoken to the Mitsubishi mechanic and he's going to get me to take it out for a drive on Monday morning and he'll come with me with his computer plugged into it and he wants me to try and get it to cut out. Anyone want to bet me that it wont happen?!! haha.

He thinks it may be something to do with the Variable Valve Timing. But he says he's not come across it before.

Just keen not to get ripped off.

Thanks, and any other suggestions, feel free to let me know!! :confused: :wall:

Reaction score
I don't have time to work out how a car works at the moment. And i don't think an FTO is the ideal car to learn on.

Reaction score
My mechanical knowledge is better since reading & following the Haynes manual for my last 2 cars.
One of which needed nearly daily work on it!
Always good to have if not just to see how it's done.:nod:

Reaction score
bodhi Itsme, im not really that confident of doing what you suggest, i don't know anything about cars and wouldn't know what i was taking off etc etc. Sorry
Leave it to the Mitsubishi mechanic.

Yeah, the cars starts up straight away when it's cut out, just turn it off and on and keep driving like normal.
Yep thats elecrical problems..
Ive just spoken to the Mitsubishi mechanic and he's going to get me to take it out for a drive on Monday morning and he'll come with me with his computer plugged into it and he wants me to try and get it to cut out. Anyone want to bet me that it wont happen?!! haha.

I bet it dont do it> Sods law....
He thinks it may be something to do with the Variable Valve Timing. But he says he's not come across it before.

Thats the electrics??? and without a computer he would not have a clue....
Just keen not to get ripped off.
GET an estimate first
nod.gif

Thanks, and any other suggestions, feel free to let me know!! :confused:
wallbash.gif

You should get a diesel Pajero. Well you did say speak freely:D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
itsme said:
bodhi said:
Ive just spoken to the Mitsubishi mechanic and he's going to get me to take it out for a drive on Monday morning and he'll come with me with his computer plugged into it and he wants me to try and get it to cut out.
;)

Good luck bodhi, sounds like a tricky one. :(

Reaction score

I didn't get that Itsme, was that sarcasm? Do you think it is an electrical problem??? If so any ideas? Someone had suggested it was maybe something earthing when im breaking hard??

Do you think he'll find it using a computer and fault codes?

Cheers for your help, its much appreciated.

Bodhi

Reaction score
Cheers peeps, if anyone has any flashes of inspiration before monday it would be much appreciated! :)