Acer - very poor support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Brilliant thanks TMoram i'm sure lots of people will try out those numbers if they havent already. Welcome to the site

Just a thought. Did you come across us via a search engine by any chance?

Reaction score
:)

Thanks for the welcome triplex!!No worries - Hope those numbers help somebody!!
Yes - i found you on Google, just typed "Acer Warranty Problems Plymouth" and this site was on the 1st page!!

Reaction score
Jolly good then Acer know about the thread aswell then. And i'm sure other just like it ;)

Enjoy your stay and visit often :D

Reaction score
1 bad thing????? --> Esplex!!

HGV2 said:
I find this all a bit strange, the 2 people i know with Acer think their great. In fact my sister can't fault her's at all & has been really happy with the support she has had from Acer.

Whats the 1 thing thats bad with them?

I think the main bad thing about them is Esplex.
As i stated in my 1st post - if you read it properly im sure you will find more than 1 bad thing.
We have been working with Acer for 6 years and have had more than 50 or so laptops from a range of 5 different models and ontop of the flaws they usually come with already their warranty repairs suck!!!
Im guessing that your sister is a home user, therefore has 1 acer laptop with one warranty?? Well if she had 60 laptops and 60 warranties she's bound to find faults, everyone would, but not this volume of problems. There shouldnt be this many holes in a global computer company.
Acer do make good value for money laptops, but, you get what you pay for. And the problems with warranties and repairs definatley lies with their deligated repair centre 'Esplex'. Time to change repair centres Mr. Acer, dont you think??? : )

Tom

Reaction score
Thanks itsme :thumb: I thought tmoram meant their 1st posting ever!
Oh well looks like i will give Acer a miss. At work at the moment we seem to be getting Toshiba for our laptops, so may look at them, either that or Dell. I could get a cheap one through rockdirect as i will not have to pay VAT :D

Reaction score
HGV2 said:
Oh well looks like i will give Acer a miss. At work at the moment we seem to be getting Toshiba for our laptops, so may look at them, either that or Dell. I could get a cheap one through rockdirect as i will not have to pay VAT :D

Your very welcome:wave:

Reaction score
Dont buy acer!!

HGV2 said:

Looks like i saved someone from a lifetime of waiting and misery!! lol

Reaction score
John Richards said:
Well now... here's one for the books...

I didn't recieve any calls or emails today - so I decided to call Acer again. A bright young chap called Chris answered. He says that my file is saying "repair complete". We detemine that I should have my laptop back by Friday. I can't deny that I'm over the moon, but how bizzare?

I might have a good weekend after all. Let's see what CityLink have up their sleeves...

JR

I can sympathise with you JR!!
We have 50 + Travelmate 290s in our workplace & im soley the shmuck who's responsible for sending all of them back for repair if they break!! Plus about 130 other ACER laptops (Travelmate 230, 245, 2000, 2350, 6000 & C1110).

Trust me, i bet i can whistle the on-hold tune better than you can!!!
And i have experienced being cut-off after queing for ages, in fact, ive been through 2 phones because of it!:wall:

Just wondering - have you ever had a problem with the Wireless Switch on you TM290?? It seems to be a generic fault with the batch we got!??

Its sucks that it takes so long for acer to repair stuff, and its even worse that the people who are supposed to help you dont know anything apart from whats on their screen. If you want real information you need to find contacts higher up!

If you think you know the name of a manager you should try to email him/her. All the emails adresses are done in the same format, so keep trying different things until the emails stop getting 'bounced'.

firstname(underscore)lastname@esplex(dot)com

For example: Marnie Shilson is higher than the call centre "drones"!!

(e-mail address removed)

Daniel Brettany is the Esplex Customer Support Team leader so ive heard. But i cant get any variations of his name to work in email, they keep getting bounced!

(e-mail address removed)

Martyn Shaw is another guy who isnt a call centre drone.

(e-mail address removed)

There is a fair chance that if you get hold of one of these three people that they actuallly wont be able to help you, but, make enough fuss and im sure they can transfer you to someone else. Or..... just email them and say something like:

'I dont think this is the right person to email about this. If it isnt could you please forward this onto your manager / team leader, or to the Customer Service department'

worked for me!!

You should read my post that i put up a cpl days ago - may enlighten you a little!!

Post number 164 on this page https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=8305829#post8305829

Reaction score
F-20

Well, having read this thread i felt obliged to register and explain my current situation.

On May 18th i purchased an Acer F-20 LCD screen from Oyyy.co.uk, a company who is incompetent of any level of customer service. The screen arrived with both seals broken, the stand was chipped, and the tuner itself faulty.

Having phoned Oyyy on several occasions over the immediate 3 days that followed, i was told that they would not offer me a replacement or refund, and that it was strictly acers policy to deal with this. I got in contact with consumer direct to advise me on my legal rights, and would advise anyone with such issues to get in touch with them. They are fantastic!

I was eventually persuaded to send the screen to Acer for 'repair' regardless, as my screen was a classified DOA (dead on arrival). It is apparently policy to replace all DOA's if they are unfixable within 5 days, and thus this process would be quicker than going through Oyyy (and save me the hassle of having to speak to them again).

I must say that Acer were extremely quick to arrange the collection of my unit, and emailed me promptly to tell me it had arrived for repair. I rung Acer repeatedly in the next week consistently checking the unit's progress.

The first time i rung, i was told the unit needed a 'module' replacing, and was currently on order. The second time i was told the 'module' was in their warehouse, and that the unit would be fixed that afternoon. The third time i called i was told it was simply 'under repair'. 8 days after receiving my unit, i was told that i had been transferred to the replacement list, and today i was phoned by one of their managers explaining that they did not have a replacement to send me. Instead, Acer have offered to refund the payment instead of Oyyy.

I must say that had i have seen this forum previously, i would have certainly had second thoughts about ordering acer products. In respect though, i must also praise Acer for their support with dealing with my screen. The screen has only been with Acer for less than 2 weeks, and a manager has already phoned me offering to refund my payment. For that, i am extremely gratefull, but cannot express my utter disappointment with Oyyy.co.uk.

I am just hoping that my Acer Ferrari 4005 WMLi laptop doesn't fail me now. I am dreading the phone bill which is yet to arrive. Costing 50p a minute, and the average call length being atleast 15 minutes, Acer's phone support doesn't really seem an option. The email response took 3 days. Potential customers, be prepared for a long agonising wait, or a hefty phone bill at the end.

In regards to calling Acer, i would advise everyone to call them using Skype. (www.skype.com). I purchased skype out credit for £10, and it has suited me fine. All that is needed is a microphone and a set of headphones. Calling from skype, you may called Acers support line for £0.14p a minute, compared to the £0.50p from a landline. As an additional bonus, you can have the satisfaction of telling whichever 'acer support assistant' you reach that you will be recording the call for 'security and training purposes'.

As a final query, has anyone been offered a refund direct from Acer before? If so, how long does this process take?

Regards,
James

Reaction score
F-20

Perhaps then it seems that i am one of the lucky ones, having been offered a refund.

I must admit, the time frame of the entire thing has now reached a good 4 weeks since purchase, however Acer have had the unit for less than half this time, and have been quick to offer a refund.

I also wonder just how many UK managers they have. Having read this thread, it seems only managers have esplex email addresses, and i have yet another of those that haven't been mentioned in here to date.

Out of interest, what was the problem with your F-19 screen?

My monitor seemed to have a dodgy tuner module. It linked up to my laptop fine, but no tv channels or input via scart would display properly. If switched to tv/scart/AV the screen would appear slurred to one side, and display fuzzy green lines. Surely it couldn't have been too much trouble to replace this tuner, but im slightly relieved to have a refund on it's way. Illegedly.

- James

Reaction score
Myst said:
Perhaps then it seems that i am one of the lucky ones, having been offered a refund.

I must admit, the time frame of the entire thing has now reached a good 4 weeks since purchase, however Acer have had the unit for less than half this time, and have been quick to offer a refund.

I also wonder just how many UK managers they have. Having read this thread, it seems only managers have esplex email addresses, and i have yet another of those that haven't been mentioned in here to date.

Out of interest, what was the problem with your F-19 screen?

My monitor seemed to have a dodgy tuner module. It linked up to my laptop fine, but no tv channels or input via scart would display properly. If switched to tv/scart/AV the screen would appear slurred to one side, and display fuzzy green lines. Surely it couldn't have been too much trouble to replace this tuner, but im slightly relieved to have a refund on it's way. Illegedly.

- James

Seems Esplex are doing a compete rebuild on my F-19, 3 weeks on now and no news.
You can guess how I feel!!

Reaction score

Yes... I can imagine the frustration...

Well, i spoke to the manager on the phone again, and it seems my cheque is finally on its way.

The only problem i have is that i genuinly think the Acer Ferrari product range is one of the nicest looking available.. (hence why i bought the laptop and the screen).

The laptop seems to be completely fine, and i made sure to take out the AcerAdvantage with accidental damages.

Is it worth reordering another of these screens from a different supplier? I'm desperate to have a working one.. they just look so nice!

Reaction score
I agree with the rest! Can you imagine it takes explex 3 months to get a piece of metal (LCD hinges) and some tiny rubber feet? To add to the wose, you are put on hold at national rate (0870). They go on to tell me that I have to get the hinges fixed by a qualified Acer Engineer! Couldn't they have made this clear when I placed the order in the first place? It sucks! And I told them that.

Reaction score
deepak said:
I agree with the rest! Can you imagine it takes explex 3 months to get a piece of metal (LCD hinges) and some tiny rubber feet? To add to the wose, you are put on hold at national rate (0870). They go on to tell me that I have to get the hinges fixed by a qualified Acer Engineer! Couldn't they have made this clear when I placed the order in the first place? It sucks! And I told them that.

Just a warning for anyone who may have an Acer TravelMate 290

Reaction score
deepak said:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course -- only a FULLY QUALIFIED ACER ENGINEER could be capable of fitting some little rubber feet!! lol - its typical of esplex.

I had an experience where i wanted a QUOTE for a touchpad repair. What they did was repair the little peice of plastic around the touchpad (without asking me) and try to charge me £93 for it!!!!!!!! For 2 tiny peices of plastic about 3mm thick and 5cm long --> £93, it was unbeleiveable! I certainly didnt pay it!! As a matter of fact i complained so much and made a point about how much we've been messed around and they repaired the touchpad for free - the a week or two later an entire new top-casing arrived for that model laptop, i didnt order or request it so just didnt say anything!!

Talking of LCD's - A warning for anyone with Acer TravelMate 290's.
Have just in the past week had to send off 7 of these, all with screen problems.
Seems to be an onboard graphics / RAM problem.
Also we've sent back about half of our laptops with broken wireless switches aswell. Dont know if anyones found similar faults with this model?????

Reaction score
Still waiting for my F-19 monitor to be repaired, all together Esplex has had it for 9 weeks and still no news.
Never known so many complaints about one Company "Acer" How ever do they do any business.
I shall never purchase any Acer products again.
But there you go, people still buy Acer!!? pity they don't read the forums first, that's the mistake I made.

Last edited:
Reaction score
nothing but a scam! the acer support is rediculous! never buy an acer if you are after support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question