Acer - very poor support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Vicky Pollard said:
I have just realized they have replaced the original video card (ATI X 700,128 MB) with a lower-spec one (ATI 600, 64 MB). It seems from a previous message that Esplex uses second hand parts from spare laptops.

I phoned Technical Support just to be told I should do a factory settings restore with the recovery CD. Have you heard of anything more ludicrous?

Lack of training given to the people who repair the notebooks is where the troubles start.

It is unusual for someone to fit the incorrect part, in this case the incorrect mainboard (the graphics chip for this model is integrated into the mainboard) BUT IT HAPPENS.

The fact customer service tells you to do a factory settings system restore shows how inadequate the training is - Talk about them wasting your time. For example the first few digits of your serial number determine which mainboard should be in the notebook. A quick history search of the notebook through the computer system shows what part was fitted by the technician. Comparing the two will in 99% of the time show that an incorrect part was fitted. The other 1% is where the correct part was ordered but what was in the box was incorrect part (WPB - Wrong Part in Box).

Get your notebook sent back in and insist they make reparations (compensation) of some kind for the time, effort and inconvenience to you by their quite blatant incompetence primarily due to inadequately trained staff.

Reaction score
timmypup said:
I've had my new monitor for about a week now and its been ok.

Recieved a text message from Acer this morning saying that my monitor that was faulty has been repaired and dispatched and that I should recieve it within 2 days.

So now i'll have my original one back AND this replacement one they sent me.
Amazingly efficient arent they ?

Who knows if it is a belated text or you will also get the originally broken one returned to you also.

Reaction score
17" Monitor saga

As Acer didn't get back to me on Friday, it looks like I'll have to go down the legal action road - stupid thing is it'll cost Acer a heck of a lot more than my Monitor did.

I'm not sure if Acer Uk / Acer Europe are independent or owned by Acer Taiwan but I thought Acer should know what is going on in the UK - after all the Acer reputation is on the line. - So I have today e-mailed the Chairman & C.E.O. of Acer in Taiwan - I doubt it'll do any good but it made me feel better - be interesting to see if Acer Taiwan have as much contempt for customers as Acer UK & Esplex.

Reaction score
Oh Dear!

Oh Dear, looks as though im going to be joining this forum for the very same reasons as you guys.

My gorgeous 2032 monitor went to them 2 weeks ago now and decided to give them a ring. Its a shame i only just saw this forum, as ive just been fobbed off with the same crap -

"Were waiting on a **** circuit board to come in as spares, we usually allow 10 working days but if we need spares im afraid you'll just have to hang fire"

What gets the results guys? Its irritating to say the least owning a £400 monitor thats rapidly depreciating whilst some proverbial monkeys are throwing spanners at it... I really feel for some of you!

Reaction score
I share your agony.
It took nearly 4 months of writing and phoning to Esplex RE/my monitor ( letters recorded of course ) before they finally gave me a full refund.
I think they have a big problem with spares.

Reaction score
They DID send it!

Yesterday my monitor that was faulty was delivered to me. Thing is I threw out the power supply as I didnt think i'd need it anymore as I was told i'd be getting a replacement and didnt think they'd sent out the repaired faulty one too! :p

Oh well, i'm sure I can order a spare from somewhere.

There appears to be no repair note or anything telling me what was wrong...

Reaction score
17" monitor still not sorted

Acer Taiwan are just as bad as Acer Uk & Esplex - Acer Taiwan didn't have the courtesy to reply to me, they just forwarded my e-mail to Acer Uk They are just trying to hide behind their standard warranty terms & think 6+ p per minute is a local rate call !!!!!

Esplex rang me today - again trying to hide behind standard warranty terms & saying they are only repairers & don't give refunds or replacements - I told them the forums say different.

Acer & Esplex seem to have missed the point - They mentioned sale of goods act & suggested I check the retailers terms for a refund - EXCUSE ME ESPLEX YOU LOST MY POWER SUPPLY not the retailer. Maybe their insurance company should deal with it.

Sending another letter reminding them of their obligations given them till Friday as they have no idea when a PSU will arrive - Quote "it can take 3 months to get parts, some parts come from Taiwan & that can cause delays".

One of the reporters I work with had a problem with her HP laptop - because it took 10 days to get the repaired item back to her she got an extended warranty - that's service - ACER READ & LEARN.

I will never buy Acer again & I will advise friends & any one who'll listen to read these forums before buying.

Reaction score
Wrong mainboard

Pit-Worker said:
Lack of training given to the people who repair the notebooks is where the troubles start.

It is unusual for someone to fit the incorrect part, in this case the incorrect mainboard (the graphics chip for this model is integrated into the mainboard) BUT IT HAPPENS.

The fact customer service tells you to do a factory settings system restore shows how inadequate the training is - Talk about them wasting your time. For example the first few digits of your serial number determine which mainboard should be in the notebook. A quick history search of the notebook through the computer system shows what part was fitted by the technician. Comparing the two will in 99% of the time show that an incorrect part was fitted. The other 1% is where the correct part was ordered but what was in the box was incorrect part (WPB - Wrong Part in Box).

Get your notebook sent back in and insist they make reparations (compensation) of some kind for the time, effort and inconvenience to you by their quite blatant incompetence primarily due to inadequately trained staff.

An update from my previous message:

The screen has finally given up, it's all dark now. I've just phoned Esplex , I

had to insist they log that the wrong mainboard was fitted in the previous

(so-called) repair, let's see what they'll do this time.. Laptop is for collection

on Monday, I'll keep you posted.

Reaction score
Im upto 5 weeks now...

I sent a letter stating my concern to Marnie Shilson (mentioned on here as someone with some slight responsibility) and she promptly replied saying that she forwarded my concerns onto the 'Complaints Department who will investigate the matter for me'

That was a week ago and nothing. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Phone call or letter maybe?

Many thanks in anticipation

Ed

Reaction score
truely crap

I have been following all this with interest. I have been very familiar with Acer and their products for the past 5 years.

I was unfortunate enough in April 2005 to purchase an Acer camera. Naturally, it didn't work at all so I sent it back under it's 2 year RTB warranty. Here we are 17 months later and still nothing. They have sent my camera back on a number of occasions but without battery or any components so I can't so much as test. They have also stolen 2 x 512MB SD cards.

Should you have similar problems can I recommend you contact ... [mucks edit: email removed, it served no purpose to your post other than to attract spam]

Although as crap as the rest of them it may help if hundreds of people barmbard her mailbox with complaints.

Acer are CRAP but ESPLEX take the biscuit as being the most inept shower of cretinous inbreds known to the industry.

Reaction score
EdButler said:
Im upto 5 weeks now...

I sent a letter stating my concern to Marnie Shilson (mentioned on here as someone with some slight responsibility) and she promptly replied saying that she forwarded my concerns onto the 'Complaints Department who will investigate the matter for me'

That was a week ago and nothing. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Phone call or letter maybe?

Many thanks in anticipation

Ed

'Complaints Department! no such place at Esplex.

Reaction score
OK. I have now had enough. I called the person I was speaking to today an incompetent cretin and was told to stop swearing! She then hung up. I have had enough. 17 months I have waited and nothing is happening. Esplex staff are liars and brainless imbiciles. I loathe every one of them and wish them unpleasentness.

Can someone tell me how this can be brought to County Court? Do I need to get solicitors involved?

By the way, the MD of Esplex is Martin Rigby. The head of Acer Service Europe is Mario Fazio. The rude woman who answers the phone at Acer and treats you like a piece of s*it is called Dee.

Reaction score
What's best way to take them to County Court then? Do I have to pay for a solicitor?

Reaction score
Okay, here is my problem I'm having with Acer. I recently sent my Travelmate 4650 laptop in for repairs as it had an overheating problem, the process was very smooth and I was constantly kept up to date with the status of the laptop. It returned yesterday and on the 'Repair Center Report' I was informed that the following work had been carried out:

"All 4 of the heatsink/cpu screw posts had come away from the mainboard causing the unit to overheat and shutdown. Reworked all 4 of the screw posts. Replaced the hdd, ran a full system restore. Tested all ok."

So I then decide I'm going to check the hard-drive to see what they had replaced it with. The capacity of my drive before was close to 70GB and it was partitioned into two segments of around 35GB. The new drive they have replaced it with is about 50GB, each part is 25.9GB each. This is not acceptable, I have been given a number on the report to contact if there are 'further problems' but I'm not sure what they will do. Is there any way I can find out what the actual HDD that was installed before was and its capacity so I can compare? As I will assume they will say something like they dont have records of what component was there before.

Reaction score
I have had the same problems as the rest of you have with Acer support. We use Acer laptops for business and have around 20 or so Travelmate 660s.

The last time I sent a laptop off for repair it took over 3 months to get it back with the usual problem of contacting Acer through e-mail and phone.

In the end I contacted our local Trading Standards office. As our laptops are for business use, they could not help me apart from give me advice such as send recorded letters, threaten legal action, go to the small claims court, etc. However, if you are a consumer and not a business then Trading Standards may be able to take up your complaint on your behalf as you have a lot more rights as an individual.

In my case I sent a few recorded letters to a few names I gathered from talking to people at Acer support. Eventually I sent a letter threatening court action and that I had Trading Standards on the case. About a week later I got a call(!) from Acer saying they were sending me another laptop. It was not the old Travelmate 660 but a brand new model with a much higher spec. Bit of a result, but took a very long time.

One website that I found particularly useful is http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/

You can fill out an online complaint about Acer and you should be contacted by someone fairly shortly.

Only problem now is I have a couple of other Acer laptops that need repairing. Think I'll get them repaired privately! Needless to say, I am not going to buy Acer products again.

Rob

Reaction score
Esplex holds the HDD in storage for 6 weeks before wiping it. At least thats what I was told when I worked there. They dont have 50gig HDDs either, worth getting partition magic software and seeing what your HDD size is. Or get a screwdriver, its only 2 screws away underneath.

Reaction score
Just for the record: ( Acer....poor quality...poor support ...CircuitCity...poor service )

I'm in California, US. I bought an ACER laptop Aspire 3618 last month (August). Yesterday I noticed that I had to pound hard on the Backspace key to make it work. I took the laptop back to CircuitCity to get it fixed. They told me I had to go to ACER directly. I accessed their web site (www.acersupport.com) and their support page does not work!

Instead they want you to pay for the extended warranty (additional 1 or 2 years). Why bother? at this rate the life expectancy of this poor quality laptop is of one year, max.

-----Original Message-----
From: (e-mail address removed) [mailto:p[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 1:15 PM
To: <snip>
Subject: DELIVERY FAILURE: User olr ([email protected]) not listed in Domino
Directory

Your message

Subject: Acer Technical Support Request-1031

was not delivered to:

(e-mail address removed)

because:

User olr ([email protected]) not listed in Domino Directory

Reporting-MTA: dns;USTPLNS1.TX.ACER.COM

Final-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Notes; User olr ([email protected]) not listed in Domi
no Directory

Subject:
Acer Technical Support Request-1031

Reaction score
It seems it’s a Global discontent with Acer.
I understand that if you are a business, Acer will respond quickly, so I am told by an employer of Esplex.
I personally will only use Rock laptops. All of there products carry a 3 year warranty. Never had a problem with this company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question