How to progress Acer repair

Reaction score
My Acer 5012 was only a few months old when the power supply connection in the computer deteriorated to the point that it would not work. Two three weeks+ trips to Acer and it was working again (it had a brief holiday with me for 24 hours between repairs due to a first failure).

Anyway, 3 weeks out of warranty the same problem starts again. I rang up and asked for a warranty repair - the representative clearly could see the machine history and volunteered that it would be treated as a priority ("5-10 Business Days subject to parts"). The machine arrived smoothly on 7th December.

Acer (Esplex) are now saying that it was never accepted as a warranty repair and the machine is on hold until I approve the proposal ... a true Catch 22 situation as they have not provided a proposal to me and the case is on hold.

How do I proceed? The priority warranty repair taking 5-10 days has turned into a chargeable repair now clearly and repeatedly stated as being (after 10 days) on hold.

I have noted the please from Explex employees for customers to be reasonable ... but is it reasonable to expect the central premise agreed for the return to be complied with rather than overturned?

Does anyone know how to contact someone at Acer who will take responsibility for both resolving this circular Catch 22 of the case on hold and the change of approach from Acer.

Thanks

Hzatph

(P.S. Esplex employees have always been polite and e-mail responses are typically within 24 hours; it is the systems that appear to be putting them in an impossible situation).

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
If you can't get a suitable response by phone/email, then you need to put your case in writing, giving the history of the problem and stating that it is clear the power supply connection has never been fit for purpose under the Sale of Goods act, and you are claiming your statutory rights under that legislation regardless of their warranty.

State also that if you do not have a satisfactory response within 14 days you will resort to legal remedy via your local Trading Standards office.

If they are still not going to repair for free, then demand your lappy back and say you will get an independent report/repair and pursue the costs through the small claims court.

Have a look at the Consumer Rights thread and also the various 'Mesh' threads in the retailer sections for details of your legal options :thumb:

Reaction score
Thank you for the good advice.

The trader I purchased the laptop from appears to have ceased to exist - I cannot find any reference to them any more and the telephone number is not recognised so I do not believe that I can exercise any rights under the SOGA (it was not bought with a credit card either). Acer are my only recourse.

I have already advised Acer that I intend to take legal action for:

1. Failure to carry out a repair with reasonable skill
2. Breach of contract: Refusal to undertake the repair under warranty as agreed
3. Failure to comply with the 5-10 business days (subject to parts) undertaking

I use this machine for my business. Clearly after 9 weeks (so far) in 15 months returned for repair I cannot rely upon the computer with any confidence and I am going to need to purchase a new one; I cannot accept being without one for a long period again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
More to repair than replace.

I have to update. They want almost £800 to repair the machine - one that cost £200 less than this in the first place, most of this for parts. This is in addition to the insulting way they have accepted the computer back and the clear history of faults with this machine and theior previous attempts to repair it.

I suppose from previous threads one should anticipate this.

Ask a Question