Acer - very poor support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
[Sorry, this is a bit long-winded.]

I bought an Acer travelmate 800 in September last year. It performed well for a month or so, but then started hanging occasionally when using any 3d apps. I couldn't send it for repair immediately as I was doing my Computer Science degree and really needed a computer around. The laptop slowly deteriorated, whereby corrupt graphics were displayed after a standby and crashes became more frequent. I sent the laptop to acer at the christmas break, having described to their telephone support the problem. However, Acer returned the laptop to me having simply reinstalled windows (I had done this myself several times and ran diagnostics, it was clearly a hardware fault). By the time I got it back, it was the start of term so I had to put up with it until I had some spare time to return it again, whereby they finally decided it was a hardware problem (it was painfully obvious) and replaced the motherboard.
All was well, except the wireless networking no longer functioned, the pcmcia slot cover had not been reinserted (so there was a great hole in the side of the machine) and the machine stopped playing DVD's after a couple of weeks. I rang Acer again, they took it for repair, they sent it back. I began reading the engineers report and low and behold, they'd only reinstalled windows. Sigh. So I boot up the machine, and a huge black splodge going from corner to corner across the LCD has appeared, rendering the display worthless. So I've sent it back. Again.

The problem seems to be that I can't get any contact with the engineers who actually make the repairs. From the report I get back each time, its shown clearly that the engineers see only a summary of everything I describe to the (I'm sorry but its true) clueless 'support' staff on the telephone.

I've got no chance of a refund have I? Luckily my warranty is two years, so theres an off chance they might fix it properly. One day.

Reaction score
Try sending it in to a private small business for repair, you always have a better chance if you do it that way.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry MacHeadtoBe, but unless that "private small business" is an Acer Dealer, you'll invalidate your warantee.

By all means send/take it to a private small business, but ask for an engineers report ... you are within your rights to do so. Tell them the problems you have been having with the system and they'll be better armed to "test it" for you.

:thumb:

Reaction score
Hi Flakker,
My name's Chris and I work for the acer support team within the UK. I'm sorry to hear you have had such poor service from the previous team. The whole operation has moved to a new location now with a new call centre team, so hopefully the level of support you receive will be better.

As muckshifter has stated, having an independant company look into your hardware problems with the laptop will invalidate your warranty unless they are an approved acer repair centre.

If you take your machine to the place you bought it from (somewhere like comet presumably?) and kick up enough fuss, they may replace the item for you if you state the number of times its been repaired

If you are still having issues then give me a call at the support line.

Regards
Chris

Reaction score
Hi Chris

As you work for Acer, maybe you can shed some light on this...

Why is it that the service you provide can be quite so bad?

Are you able to explain why -- for the love of God -- your telephone system cuts callers off?

Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to wait for up to 20 minutes, only to be informed by voice of BT that "The other person has hung up"?
(For those readers that think I'm biased, I challenge you get through to someone on +44 (0)870 853 1000). Seriously, there's more chance of you winning the lottery!).

Two weeks ago, I would recommend Acer products to anyone willing to listen. Now, I'm advising everyone to avoid them like the plague! The majority of your staff are completely unhelpful. There are only two supervisors in the contact centre, both of which fail to return calls or emails (despite promises). I got the feeling that they were hiding from me -- what was Daniel scared of?

Anyway, this is how the story goes... I purchased a TravelMate 290 laptop back in August of 2003. One day in September of 2004, it decides not to switch on. Upon ringing Acer Technical Support, I'm delighted to discover that it was under a 2-year warranty. They tell me to contact their couriers Initial CityLink (who are, in my opinion similiary terrible) to arrange for it to be collected. I am to expect a 5 day turnaround, subject to parts.

Now the number you have to ring to book an Initial CityLink courier is constantly engaged for the bulk of office hours. (+44 (0)870 240 4236 -- Go on, I dare you). There is no welcome message or queue facility (it looks like their saving every penny they can -- a real budget operation!). After several unsuccessful attempts, I managed to get through to a person and they booked the collection without any problems. I choose the 09:00 - 13:00 pickup option. Can you guess what time they arrived? After 15:00 (Do you believe that their van broke down? Do you believe that they only have one van? -- As I said before, a real budget operation).

(((Off topic: My advice is use DHL - a much more efficient and friendlier service -- and at least DHL offers the option to insure your package))).

Eventually, Acer receives my laptop, which sat in it's box on the floor of their warehouse for the first 4 days. What were they waiting for? Christmas? Eventually, they figure out that in order to find out what's wrong with it, they actually have to have a look. Eureka!!! They discover that it needs a new main board!!!

For the next 2 weeks (which by the way feels like an eternity for someone stuck without a laptop, necessary for my job) I'm told consistently told that "we're waiting for parts". It's funny that Acer doesn't think its necessary to contact their customer with updates. Not once was I called, to say that there was going to be a delay. Whenever I called, it became very apparent that this wasn't getting anywhere. Call me old fashioned, but I think someone should have found out whether the parts were in stock, where they were coming from, indeed have they even left? But no, the guys on the phones are not responsible for chasing up parts, they are only qualified to read what their screen says.

To cut a long story short, I eventually get to speak to someone that appears to be helpful, Cameron. He "checks lists" and "goes through back logs" -- jargon I didn't understand but was grateful to hear something other than "we're waiting for parts". He explains that a company called ICR provides spare parts for Acer and that ICR are only 10 minutes away from them. He explains that ICR do not have the part and in this case, they arrange for it to be sent from Taiwan! I ask him if he honestly knows whether Taiwan has even been contacted and he says no. I then say, who is responsible for arranging this transition and he says ICR and gives me their number.

Surprise surprise, ICR have changed their name to ERS and unfortunately blast everything Cameron said out of the water. "Oh, Mr Richards, unfortunately this is nothing to do with ERS (formally know as ICR). This is completely with Acer and incidently they often make this mistake of informing their customers that we are dealing with this.

What the hell? Can you see why I'm a little upset? Acer thinks ERS is dealing with it and ERS thinks Acer is dealing with it. The result is that nobody is doing a damn about my laptop!

As I type this, I have tried unsuccessful for the last 2 hours to get through on that blasted telephone line, and when I do, I'm told that Cameron is in a meeting. I'm still waiting for him to get back to me. The time is now 17:07 on Tuesday 2 November, I wonder if I'll get a callback before 18:00 (when their offices close).

To be continued...

Reaction score
... Continued

3 November 10:25

I've just tried to contact Acer on their coldline (just seems more appropriate) and having been cut off three times in a row, I hit the redial button once more. As I listen to that tacky music that I can probably whistle to perfection by now.

I get a call on my other phone: I am delighted to hear Cameron's voice. He apologises for not being able to get back to me and explains that he was on a training course yesterevening. I explain that ERS (ICR) are not in fact dealing with my new main board and demand some accurate information.

He promises to email the repairs department in order to find out what stage the order is in. I ask him when he expects to receive a reply from them and I'm told some point this afternoon. He say, when I callback for an update my case reference will have been updated... I interrupt him right there and mention just how impossible it is to get through to anyone on that line.

He makes an exception and agrees to email me with the update as soon as he is in the know.

The plot thickens

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... and I for one are following very closely. ;)

Reaction score
Well now... here's one for the books...

I didn't recieve any calls or emails today - so I decided to call Acer again. A bright young chap called Chris answered. He says that my file is saying "repair complete". We detemine that I should have my laptop back by Friday. I can't deny that I'm over the moon, but how bizzare?

I might have a good weekend after all. Let's see what CityLink have up their sleeves...

JR

Reaction score
I find myself in the exact same position as John. My Acer TravelMate was sent to Acer for repair on the 12th Oct. For the first two weeks it's been an "awaiting parts" reply - via email as I can rarely get through on the phone (cut offs, lunch breaks etc).

For the last two weeks I haven't been able to get any response at all. The 24-hour response email is not responding at all - despite several emails. The last two days, the phone line is too busy to accept or queue any calls. So what do I do?? The lack of a laptop is affecting my work and earning potential.

I'm trying to find a contact address now as I think I need to go and see a solicitor.

Like John, I've gone from a year of praising Acer products to advising all my students & colleagues to avoid them due to the lousy support.

John - did you get your laptop back??

Reaction score
To cut a long story short.....brought acer laptop......could not enter bios password......fault on keyboard......sent back 22nd of october.....rang 4 times......very bad customer support ( execpt from peter who phoned me back to tell me when it was going throught final checks)....finally got told it will be dispatched today (wedsnesday 17th Nov).

Just to say that they said it will take 10 days to repair...it took just under a month.

Last year i sent a packard bell back.. they had i returned with a new part fitted within 5 days....so i will not buy an acer again.

Reaction score
Yes Acer customer service is really crap. I tried calling them so many times. I have sent my laptop for repairs and they are still awaiting parts. This is after holding my laptop for 25 days.

I also do get cut off after holding on for 30 mins. However I have figured how to get around this problem. I think they have an intelligent phone system which realises where the call was comming from. This probally would be stored the first time you call. The second time you call the helpdesk representative computer would use the phone number as the id and display the customers details. And the status of the repair. If they staff dont want to take that call they simply cut you off. If you have called the acer helpdesk number you would have noticed once the music stops there is a pause( 30-60 sec) before you hear the voice of the support staff. This is where I think they read the profile and decide if they want to anwer the call. This used to happen to me. Then I started dialing 141 before calling the helpdesk number and vola every time I get to speak to someone on the desk.

However I have mad up my mind I am never going to buy acer product and will deter all family, friends and business from doiong so.

Another thing is Acer support close for lunch break ( 12.00 - 13.30) every day. No other support company does that. I have worked in few. At first I thought the helpdesk was in spain where they have their ciesta but no they are in Devon.

I saved £150 when i bought my laptop but it was not worth the grief i got.

Finally I was told that the laptop came with 2 years warrenty. however Acer denies any knowledge of this. My friend bought the same laptop from the same place a few weeks later and Acer acknowledges his warrenty. That is just shite......

Acer Support is bullshit.. Stay away from it. Hope someone from Acer is reading this.

D

Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone.

Razz, in answer to your question, yes I did evetually get my laptop back.

I never did get a reponse about the issues I raised though. What a bunch of monkeys! If it breaks again, I won't waste any energy on it. I'll chuck it away.

I'll never buy another Acer product, ever!

JR

Reaction score
Dear all,

I had bought Acer Aspire 1522 WLMi on 1st November 2004. On 17th Jan 2005 (two and half months later) the screen stopped working. Having returned the item to acer for repairs, I have received a quotation for replacement of LCD screen. The amount that I am asked to pay is £ 440 !!!. The cost of my laptop is £ 812. I have nothing else to say. I have been trying to contact the acer repairs service but I was initially told that their system was down. The last conversation with the acer team says that they are "still searching for my laptop" and will contact me the next day which is tomorrow.

Wish me all the best and suggest if anything I could do in this regard

Reaction score
Poor support from Acer - continues!

I sent my Acer Aspire Lap Top for repair (failed drive and cracked hinges). Three weeks later, the computer is not back. When you call, you just get told that it is awaiting parts. There is no escalation procedure and they refuse to give an estimate of how long you will have to wait. Argue as much as you can, you will only get the address of the complaints department. There is no way that you can get past the mindless support people following their script, and they seem frightened to pass you to a supervisor or manager of any kind. With the answers I have received, it is possible that it could wait for parts for ever and you will get no chance of trying to get any movement on the problem.
I did think that Acer were better than Dell, but I am begining to see that is not the case. I would strongly urge anyone NOT to BUY an ACER LapTop under any circumstances. If it fails, you will send it for repair, and there is every possibility you will never see it again!
Oh...and they still take a lunch break with no support available, and their telephone system cuts you off. Stay away at all costs!

Reaction score
Acer Sucks

My Acer 803LMi went off to Acer on the 2nd February 2005.
I can't even get them to answer an email.
Its 40 days now and there is no hope on the horizon of ever seeing my computer again.
It cost me £1227 and its not like I am rich, do they have any idea how long it took me to earn that money.

Like most things now days, no one cares anymore, your just a number on a system.

Take a look at this....
http://www.winpe.com/acer/index.htm

I wouldn't buy another Acer product if my life depended on it.

Let us pray they don't ever get into manufaturing medical equipment.

Any company is only as good as its worst employee, that kinda says it all....

Acer Sucks!

Reaction score
Acer support is bad and their machines worse

I bought an Acer Travelmate 630xc in June 2002 - you know the one designed for business users who travel a lot - it has been back for repair 4 times under an extended warranty which cost me £424.68 - there was a power problem - the keyboard has gone three times - the motherboard has been replaced twice - the hard disc has been replaced because it lost it's pagefile and had to be defragmented every day just to stop it crashing - they say they will consider a replacement if it has to be repaired 3 times under warranty - well maybe they considered it but they certainly haven't replaced it - the warranty expires in June this year and then I have to pay for them to fix it when it goes again as it surely will. Oh and by the way, the Laptopshop where I bought it are rubbish too - they're the ones who charged me £424.68 for a super dooper warranty which they said on the phone meant I could take it to them if it broke and they'd lend me a replacement until it came back fixed - guess what - they changed hands and the promise was never honoured.

Acer is simply the least professional supplier of machines I have ever come across in 25 years of buying hardware.

Reaction score
damn i got an Acer monitor today, 17inch TFT aswell!!! :)

i hope i dont experience any problems with the thing!!! Acer look to be a problem to deal with

Reaction score
yes like i said i got 14 days to change my initial mind.
but yes if it fails im back to staples!

thanks KGB

Reaction score
Perhaps I shouldnt let it go!

I received my Acer Aspire 1363 WLMI yesterday and I the DVD drive is not showing in Explorer.

I have spoken to Acer support and they were very helpful, the machine is going back for repair...

Then I read this thread and I am not sure if I want to send it now! Perhaps I should send it back to the vendor for replacement?? I got it from Ebuyer, would they replace it or refer me to Acer?

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question