2.1 or 5.1 for £80 tops

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Looking down the forum I see you have all helped many people looking for a good set of speakers. I hope you can help me similarly. I have a pair of poor quality speakers, and they have finally gone (left speaker screwed). I have £80 spare and would like to buy some replacements.

Now, I have a room to myself so it doesnt matter what type of speakers I get, but is 5.1 really worth it? I mean how do i get speakers to sit behind me? on stands or something?

Anyway, 2.1 and 5.1 speakers oh high quality is what I am looking for. At a max price of £80 (less would be great :D ). If people could give me a few suggestions for each and then recommend what you personally would get, it would help me greatly.

Thanks for your time

Reaction score
I can not fault the Logitech X-230 2.1 system

Heres somewhere that sells them: http://www.mediaatlantic.com/product.php/37871/1074/

They sound, and look absolutely AMAZING!

X230_sat_detail.jpg

X230_izo.jpg

Theres also a 5.1 version of these speakers (note: you must have a 5.1 sound card for them)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=73918

R0073918-01.jpg

R0073918-02.jpg

R0073918-04.jpg

These speakers sound better than most higher spec speakers i've heard, and my dad likes them better than his upwards of £200 bose 2.1 stereo speakers!

I reccomend these - and are WELL below your budget - even for the 5.1 ones!

Hope this helps

Chris
http://image.ebuyer.com/UK/R0073918-04.jpg

Reaction score
well i have a creative live plantium card, with about 5 or 6 plugs at the back...thats surround sound right?

would u recommend 5.1 over 2.1?

also how hard is it to mount them on walls/get stands for them (the rear ones i mean) is it worth the bother?

Reaction score
Oh then that should be fine...

The 5.1 will be more powerful and be actual "Surround sound" But the 2.1's are great also... depends whether you want to save... I dont know about the length of cable on the 5.1's

Wall mounting shouldnt be hard - the swivel etc - see the last picture - thats wall mounted.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you probably need to put a screw in the wall and hook them onto it or some really strong double sided tape ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just to chime in....

If you're going to watch a lot of movies on DVD and/or play games, go 5.1.

If your main source of sound is music, it actually sounds better on 2.1, in my opinion.

I have my two 5.1 rear speakers on a pair of Gale stands I got from Richer Sounds. In fact, they're to the left and right of me, not directly behind. Makes movie sound effects sound great.

Oh, and another vote for that Logi system, 2.1 or 5.1.

Reaction score
Btw, you had better come back to this thread when you have them set up and let us know what they sound like!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
If I were you and my budget was £80, I would look no further than a 2.1 system. I do not mean to say that the ones metioned above are not good its just that you will get far better sound at that price point if you go for 2.1 system.

Generally if the quality of sound you get at £80, you will need to spend 2.5 times to achieve same quality for a 5.1, and 3.5 times for 7.1 system, i.e £200 for 5.1 and £350 for 7.1

Reaction score
I think they are superb - and perfect for 99.9% of people who are looking for something like this :)

My dad liked them so much he just said "Chris, go and order me some, we can have them in the conservatory!"

Reaction score
Well, I am moving house in a week and a half. Once I am settled in I will investigate my new room, see if it is feasable for a 5.1 system. Then decide on which one to choose.

Thanks for help and I will come back and tell you what they are like :)

Reaction score
W O W

Just unwrapped the 5.1 version of these logitech beauties. They are bigger than i thought, but thats a good thing. Sounds really awesome, thansk for recommendation.

Only one thing, is the center speaker meant to be quiet? or is it just me?

Buy them... now! if ur just thinking about it... then stop thinking and get ur card out of ur wallet. £60 ****ing hell, bargain.

Goes with my 24 inch monitor for £100 bargain ;)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yes the centre speaker is for voice so will seem quiter than the other satellites, and that was a quick week and a half...:D

Reaction score
now that i have these awesome speakers. anyone recommend some nice stands for the rear two?

Ask a Question