Humming on Sony 2.1 Speaker system

Reaction score
:mad:I have just switched on my PC speaker system to listen to music which is a Sony 2.1 and I am getting a large amount of humming from the speakers, I guess I will have to buy a new speaker system. I mostly listen to music but now also play games, the music I listen to most is orchestral and vocal and also now games, any recommendations gratefully recieved . I have been on the net and looked at some but wondered what people here would advise I do not wish to spend more than £75.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Humming could be a bad connector, connection or installed in the wrong socket. If you wiggle the wire that goes into the connector, does the humming stop or change? Do the speakers hum while connected to another device? For example, an MP3 player. If they don't when connected to the MP3 player, then you may have a ground issue in your computer system.

Just some thoughts.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Unplug the speaker jack and plug in a pair of headphones. No buzz? Speaker fault. Still got a buzz? Look to your computer's sound source.

Reaction score
A big culprit I have had in the past is a broken cable near the strain relief on end of plug

They can cause more problems than they are worth tbh

Reaction score
:):DThanks every one, I followed your advice and still buzzing so I guess it is a new set I will have to get any sugestions for a good set not over £75which are good for orchastral, vocal, acustic music and gaming but only 2.1 as I havent enough room for anything bigger. Once again thanks for the advice.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Logitech Z323 £34.47 free postage

Corsair SP2200 £43.45 plus postage

Any of those will do you.

The Logi's at that current price are a bargain.

I have the Corsair loudspeakers and in my opinion they're brilliant. But be aware that mine broke down after 4 months and Scan part-charged me for returning them for replacement.

The Corsairs are £54 or so on Amazon with free postage if you're tempted. In my opinion much better option than buying from Scan cos Scan verily sucketh a gigantic one ;)

Reaction score
:DHi Tony thanks for the heads up I have been all day researching different speakers and reviews on them and seriously considered the Corsair SP2200 but to be honest after your post then disregarded them as the ones I have were Sony and they have gone up the creek in less than 2 years. I have settled on these Microlabs Fc360 2.1 Speaker they have good reports and and were within my budget from Amazon at £56-49 including delivery, on some sites were over £70. I would you and the others for your help and advice over my speaker problems it is nice to get advice and opinions from friends on the site. Thank you all.:thumb:

Last edited:

Ask a Question