Headphones impedance with Stereo System Impedance

Reaction score
Sorry in advance for the wrong words I am not an english speaker.

I currently use a Pioneer X-HM11 (30W) with 2 speakers (15W each) for music, but I'am planning on buying a mid end headphone and I've come across the Sony MDR-7506 with 63 Ohm impedance.

The user manual of the Pioneer says the recommended impedance for headphones is 15-50, being 32 the best one. But the system is connected to my PC motherboard with a 3.5mm mini Jack to 2 twin RCA and the headphones would go into the "phones" output.

Does the impedance of the headphones really matter in this case? What would happen if I connected the headphones into the motherboard output instead of the pioneer?
Thx in advance.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
The higher impedance phones will generally sound a bit anemic if connected to a motherboard. Connecting very high impedance phones to a portable unit is not recommended since it can damage the tiny output amp.

If you are considering buying a headphone try to opt for one which is near about 32 Ohms as it will give you the loudness you need and will not tax the portable electronics.

Sennheiser also is one of the best brands for headphones out there and they do have something that might suit your needs, besides it has 32 Ohms impedance. Sennheiser HD 200 Professional Monitoring Headphone

I have been using only Sennheiser headphones for the last 3 decades.

I hope it helps. If you have other questions on this subject I will be happy to respond to you.

Reaction score
The higher impedance phones will generally sound a bit anemic if connected to a motherboard. Connecting very high impedance phones to a portable unit is not recommended since it can damage the tiny output amp.

If you are considering buying a headphone try to opt for one which is near about 32 Ohms as it will give you the loudness you need and will not tax the portable electronics.

I hope it helps. If you have other questions on this subject I will be happy to respond to you.
Thx so much for the info, do you think the Audio-Technica M40X are any good compared to the Sony?
And BTW just being curious, what's the "physics" behind what you explained me? I've read in other sites than sensitivity would be more important in this case. Thx in advance

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I was updating my response with more info while you responded to it. Please read it again, thanks.

Ask a Question