Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool

Ghostrider

Gary said:
"With WGA, and upon receiving the verification of a
WGA-confirmed invalid copy, Microsoft should simply replace
it with a bona fide copy."

Are you for real? If you buy a stolen car should Ford give you a new one
because you were stupid?

The example is a little bit off. The implication is that if
the victim reported the pirate-seller and this resulted in an
arrest and conviction, then there would be a reward. To game
the system in this particular way of buying a stolen car means
that you and just bought a stolen car, knowingly, because the
rules and regulations of sale and transfer have been codified
and are evident. You are now in possession of stolen property.
There is no stupid ignorance in this situation.

Gary

It provedes Web Pages in the language your computer is set to and pages that
relate to the software installed on your computer. Example it would not
interest you to see updates for Office 2000 if you have Office 2003
installed on your computer.

And yes I like to top post so I don't have to re-read everything.

antioch

Ghostrider said:
The example is a little bit off. The implication is that if
the victim reported the pirate-seller and this resulted in an
arrest and conviction, then there would be a reward. To game
the system in this particular way of buying a stolen car means
that you and just bought a stolen car, knowingly, because the
rules and regulations of sale and transfer have been codified
and are evident. You are now in possession of stolen property.
There is no stupid ignorance in this situation.

Sorry - the above does not make any sense.
Antioch

Ghostrider

antioch said:
Sorry - the above does not make any sense.
Antioch

Does to me although the original premise and examples are
lousy. IOW, Gary tries to play "fence" by buying a car that
is known to be stolen. Next, he attempts to pawn it off on
the dealer or manufacturer to get a brand new replacement.
His contention is that only stupid people would do this.
Actually, stupid people are too scared to pull off such a
stunt.

Sparky Spartacus

Gary said:
Simple: To you it may be a "System check" but to Microsoft its a "Security
Update" all depends on your point of view.

Not really, MS is playing on peoples' fears of being infected by a virus
or worm and installing teir own little malware.

Sparky Spartacus

Gary said:
WPA has Nothing to do with surfing habits. If your that paranoid then you
need to shut off your computer and find another hobby. WPA is designed to
check for a valid XP license. Why on earth would you think Microsoft even
cares what sites you browse? That just makes no sense at all!

That info can be sold - you're the one making no sense here.

Sparky Spartacus

Gary said:
Yes unless you can explaine what any of the above I should be paranoid
about?

If you truly do not understand, then I don't think it can be explained
to you.

Sparky Spartacus

Greg said:
Then spybot S&D, Lavasoft Adaware should detect it and remove it, if
it does the above.

And be buried by MS's lawyers and go bankrupt? Maybe in a perfect world,
but not this one.

Nevermind

Gary said:
Ok you have a copy of XP with a Key that is the first part.
Now you need to get a unique id for the computer so you use a combination of
processor id, disk serial number, bios checksum, etc. Now you have a unique
id number for the computer. You then can check the copy of XP with the
computer
its installed on and that will tell you if someone is installing the same XP
on several computers.
Now you are talking about activation of XP. I thought the same copy of
XP could not be installed and activated on more than one computer,
because it would not activate on the second and subsequent machines.
If the activation file is being checked, why record separately the
checksum of the BIOS and the serial number of the hard drive? Why not
record parameters belonging to other installed hardware, such as sound
card, graphics card, CD/DVD drives, etc.?

Nevermind

Leythos said:
By looking at those numbers, with other information, they can make
assumptions about how many times a key has been installed on DIFFERENT
machines and then use that information to invalidate the key.
How does Microsoft decide which computer gets to keep the key and which
other ones do not?

antioch

Ghostrider said:
Does to me although the original premise and examples are
lousy. IOW, Gary tries to play "fence" by buying a car that
is known to be stolen. Next, he attempts to pawn it off on
the dealer or manufacturer to get a brand new replacement.
His contention is that only stupid people would do this.
Actually, stupid people are too scared to pull off such a
stunt.

That's better - now I follow your drift - true lousy example.
Antioch

Greg Rozelle

And be buried by MS's lawyers and go bankrupt? Maybe in a perfect world,
but not this one.

Those two companies can not be touched, their offices and website's
are outside of the US. If I recall, Some companies tried to sue
Lavasoft & Spybot S&D but it was outside their jurisdiction. US law
only apply to US citizens unless your visiting the US, then are laws
apply to you, while you are here.

Greg Rozelle

Frank

Gary wrote:
|| It provedes Web Pages in the language your computer is set to and
|| pages that relate to the software installed on your computer.
|| Example it would not interest you to see updates for Office 2000 if
|| you have Office 2003 installed on your computer.
|| And yes I like to top post so I don't have to re-read everything.

When you top post you break the thread.

NoStop

It's actually quote simple, as the "Critical" updates are what MS
determines warrant "Critical" status - so if they want to call WGA a
security/critical update, they can, if they want to call it a Pink Pig,
they can....
And if they were honest to their customers that's exactly what they'd call
it ... a Pink Pig.

--
The ULTIMATE Windoze Fanboy:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2370205018226686613

View Some Common Linux Desktops ...
http://linclips.crocusplains.com/index.php

Gary

Sparky Spartacus said:
If you truly do not understand, then I don't think it can be explained to
you.

Just try one "Hard Drive Serial Number"
Go ahead tell me why I should be as paranoid as you about my hard drive
serial number?

Rhonda Lea Kirk

Those two companies can not be touched, their offices and website's
are outside of the US. If I recall, Some companies tried to sue
Lavasoft & Spybot S&D but it was outside their jurisdiction. US law
only apply to US citizens unless your visiting the US, then are laws
apply to you, while you are here.

Well, if Microsoft is dumb enough to bring suit in a US court against a
foreign company, I suppose you're correct.

The error, however, is your assumption is that Microsoft does not have
legal counsel in many other countries. It does, and there is nothing to
prevent it from bringing suit against either Lavasoft or Safer
Networking or any other company it chooses.

rl
--
Rhonda Lea Kirk

Insisting on perfect safety is for people
without the balls to live in the real world.
Mary Shafer Iliff

Steve

Leythos said:
You know I was kidding and trying to make a point, I actually buy extra
licenses for clients and myself just to make sure we're always covered.

The people that need to be eliminated are the ones taking advantage of
the ignorant purchasers. Once the ignorant purchasers get screwed the
first time they (most) won't make that mistake again. The only thing we
can hope is that the are ethical enough to go after the pirate through
the legal system - in some cases it could be a much stiffer crime if it
takes place across state lines.

I always encourage people to file a claim with the BSA/SPA, the vendor,
and then with their local LE group.
No such thing as an ignorant purchaser. The vast majority of purchasers
will buy something simply because they like the look of it. No other
research is involved. Consumers have rights. And that includes the right
to keep the product they have purchased regardless of whether it's
stolen or not. Of course, these rules do not apply to those knowing they
are buying something stolen. That goes without saying.

Leythos

No such thing as an ignorant purchaser. The vast majority of purchasers
will buy something simply because they like the look of it. No other
research is involved.

Anyone purchasing because of look along would be considered an ignorant
purchaser.
Consumers have rights. And that includes the right
to keep the product they have purchased regardless of whether it's
stolen or not.

Wrong, under the law, if you recv stolen property, once it's determined
to be stolen, the police can take it from you. The only exception I know
of are Pawn Shop owners - they may keep any stolen property they
purchase.
Of course, these rules do not apply to those knowing they
are buying something stolen. That goes without saying.

No, they apply to any stolen property - take a car as an example, if you
purchase an stolen car without knowing it's stolen, and someone find it,
reports it to the LE, the real owner of the car can recover it without
paying you anything.

Alias

Leythos said:
Anyone purchasing because of look along would be considered an ignorant
purchaser.

Even if they are purchasing at a brothel?
Wrong, under the law, if you recv stolen property, once it's determined
to be stolen, the police can take it from you. The only exception I know
of are Pawn Shop owners - they may keep any stolen property they
purchase.

No, they apply to any stolen property - take a car as an example, if you
purchase an stolen car without knowing it's stolen, and someone find it,
reports it to the LE, the real owner of the car can recover it without
paying you anything.

Last I heard, buying something stolen comes under the law "receiving
stolen goods".

Alias

Box134

how many of these are microsoft going to put out?
its like the fourth now
how paranoid are they?
why do they lie and call it critical?
I have genuine software here and its annoying to see new "Windows
Genuine Advantage Validation Tool" every couple of weeks
what advantage?

As a business enterprise, an utterly filthy rich business enterprise, I
understand MS wants to eliminate piracy.

I have a Dell laptop and the associated legitimate XP Home OS. When they
offered me the WGA install I declined. In the cases where I need to prove I
have a legit copy I use the manual verification method. I don't want any
part of the phone home business.