Vote results

Peter Seiler

John Jay Smith - 02.05.2006 18:14 :
Your assumptions are wrong.

I am NOT new to this group.. I have been here for years and years and
years..probably longer than you!
I am not a fool, I understand things better than you can imagine.

I first saw your first posting here only a few days/weeks ago and can't
remember reading your name before. Miraculous.

John Corliss

HVS said:
John Corliss wrote

And all these years I've given you points for being not entirely
unreasonable.

Geez.

If you're going to run a kill-file, it's obvious that you weren't
remotely interested in hearing from anybody other than those you
already agree with.

This isn't a logical conclusion. If I wasn't "remotely interested" in
hearing etc., I wouldn't have started this thread.
Classic behaviour of a prat.

You know, if I wanted to, I could start calling people names too. And
rest assured, you would find the names I'm capable of using to be
offensive in the extreme. I suspect though, that you (like others) are
trying to draw me into a name calling contest in order to lower me to
your level.

Also, to prove you wrong I've Googled this group:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt....subject:for+insubject:a+insubject:vote&hl=en&

and posted the results.

I could also have easily:

1. Disabled my killfile by unsubscribing to the group (after backing
up the killfile for later use)
2. Re-subcribed to the group and re-downloaded all the messages
3. Counted the votes

And no, I would not have unsubscribed from the group permanently.

However, I would have also liked to find out how many of the voters (yes
OR no) are possibly sock puppets by arranging all posts to see how many
other messages have been previously posted by the voters, and looking at
the header infos. Of course this wouldn't have proven conclusively that
anybody IS a sock puppet, but it would have given a clue.

After counting the messages and doing this final step, I would then have:

4. Un-subscribed from the group again
5. Re-subscribed
6. Restored the killfile
7. Re-downloaded messages

Not worth the effort though. Susan runs the Pricelessware page and many
people will want to stay on her good side (as I knew before I asked for
a vote.) Taking this into consideration, the no side did better than I
expected.

IMO, that she's allowed a toe to be inserted in the door is going to
cause problems for this group down the road. Had to happen eventually
though.

--
John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc (who uses sock puppets)

Daniel Mandic

John said:
Susan, there is no need to be bitter like that....not to me...

Yes. You like to babble. As me :)
Quantum physics state that reality is 11 dimensional,
and has no material aspect to it, rather is chords vibrating at
"frequencies" that make up what you perceive as reality. There are
parallel universes, some with laws of physics compatible to our own
and some not. The most possible current theory is that there are
infinite number of parallel universes some may differ on only one
quantum event (that is a cosmic ray). Timespace and be manipulated in
such a way that space and time has no meaning, material things can
pass inside eatch other, distance can be zero.

Ha. Zero! Zero what? Distance??

If you say Zero or 0, it is already something. Or better, you already
know what it could be.

Believe me.... Latin Speakers, as we are the most here, cannot really
understand Zero. As well the mathematic 0... it's not Latin. And
Digital is not 1/0, it is on/off.

Or you may look a while to greek or hebrew. They do not have zero.

My counting begins at I.
If you could find me a freeware that can calculate the real reality
please send it.

The problem stays in the word itself. If you compare it most exact, it
will feel wrong to your imagination of Life.

"animadverto : sometimes understand, realize"

As I mention thousand times... people are dually connected/living
(interfaced) on our World.

Animadverto... is a good exa,mple :)

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

P.S.: Please no Software for reality.... not even free!

Daniel Mandic

John said:
your advice...I did take it into consideration. I don't want to make
any enemies here...

thanks

Just go on :)

Your comments are refreshing from time to time.

But John Corliss is not really so as you see him. At least he only
tries to regulate (by text, of course) the ACF. He would never use
dig.- tricks to outcast or observe ACF-subscribers.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

P.s.: The world cannot be half-sided, Both together gave one... and so
forth.

Daniel Mandic

Peter said:
I first saw your first posting here only a few days/weeks ago and
can't remember reading your name before. Miraculous.

I am in Newsgroups where I have not posted for a period of over five
years. And it seemed to many of them, when I started to post regularly,
as I were a new subscriber :).

Most obviously I was longer in the NG, than the people who did not
found peace with me <grin>

Kind Regards,

Daniel Mandic

P.S.: In Usenet since "approx." 1993 or 94 - No PC :). What now?

John Jay Smith

I know very well the theories behind zero...

"Miden" is zero in greek, I can teach you some if you want, but ancient
greeks
used the alphabet to count.

The use of zero was a tremendus leap for mathematics.

Kalle Piirainen

Susan said:
Freedom of speech includes the freedom to indulge in tirades about
freedom of speech or anything else that strikes your fancy, the freedom
to engage in flame battles, "holy wars", the freedom to send floods of
Freeware posts etc. etc. etc.

We have the *freedom* to post anything we want. IMO some self-restraint
makes for a more pleasant newsgroup.

Susan

I kinda have to second Susan here. I don't want to offend John, but
Freedom of Speech seems to be a little strong argument in this context.

I'm not sure if I missed something, but I would have liked to read posts
concerning something in the lines of description and/or "mission
statement" of this group. If I'm not mistaken, the question of a message
being on or off topic can only be answered relative to the purpose of
this group.

If the groups purpose is to discuss software that's available free of
monetary charge, the nagware is on topic. Or if this group is about
software free of any rent, then maybe there should be discussion only on
well documented and commercial quality software released under GPL? And
this is not a flame; I'm only trying to illustrate the spectrum that, in
my view, can be viewed as "free software".

My point here is that maybe this whole poll is slightly off topic? Maybe
JC wanted to, or should have, raised question: what's the mission of
this group and what are the boundaries within this mission is to be
fulfilled? Seems to me that this kinda questions are slightly religious
in nature and the problem is that they raise religious sort of answers.

And finally a disclaimer: I'm not trying, nor want, to police this
group; I just checked my thoughts on this subject if they happened to be
helpful. :)

Happy posting

badgolferman

Daniel Mandic, 5/3/2006, 10:16:54 AM,
I am in Newsgroups where I have not posted for a period of over five
years. And it seemed to many of them, when I started to post
regularly, as I were a new subscriber :).

Do you think J. J. S. could go weeks, much less years without posting
something?

John Jay Smith

FYI since this reply to susan was burried in the thread I am reposting so
you can read it.

-----
Susan. You don't know the underlying story behind the vote.
This is corliss's private little war.

This whole "vote" was because Corliss wanted to restrain me from posting
information I though helpful for the poster asking a question

He thought by starting a vote he could then come back to me and say
no one wants your information, so scram. This is why it is all about
free speech. He was trying to find a way to manipulate this newsgroup
with his "vote" by calling it a nagware vote, then find a way to censor me,
either by calling me a troll or telling me that I was not posting in context
of this group, probably creating flamewars if I didn't listen.. and he would
have
that vote to back him up.

This is the context of what I call freedom of speech. Not talking about
anything imaginable, not starting flamewars, not trolling... but offering
information to help in a way that is in harmony with the general guidelines
of this newsgroup.

I offered some help before that did not have anything to do with freeware,
it was advice.
I also gave a gmail account to someone who wanted it. With Corliss's logic
these efforts should be banned. This is what I call free speech, free as
long as it is
positive and related.

Do you have a problem with this? If not you should agree and support my
efforts.

thanks

Peter Seiler

badgolferman - 03.05.2006 17:55 :
Daniel Mandic, 5/3/2006, 10:16:54 AM,

Do you think J. J. S. could go weeks, much less years without posting
something?

in case of JJS (a real multi-poster as we can see these days) I can't
believe a non-writing period of only a few days/weeks - years I can't
imagine.

Tony\(UK\)

Snipped meaningless drivel
#
Not worth the effort though. Susan runs the Pricelessware page and many
people will want to stay on her good side (as I knew before I asked for a
vote.) Taking this into consideration, the no side did better than I
expected.

IMO, that she's allowed a toe to be inserted in the door is going to cause
problems for this group down the road. Had to happen eventually though.

Oi! Right. Enough is enough, Corliss, you've wound me up now.

How DARE you bring Susan's good name into this discussion. Was it to get a
reaction? Well, you've got it.

Susan works tirelessly updating the Pricelesswarehome website, monitoring
and suggesting suitable answers to posters questions, keeping an up to date
of links and extensive database of past and present freeware and it's
locations. How dare you try to discredit her. I won't allow it!

What do you do? Bloody stir up trouble, that's what you do, and you do it in
such a way as to let the (numerous) people who dislike you vent their spleen
and anger, culminating inevitablly in a flame war. That's why so many of the
'old 'uns', including me in a minute, have gone from here now.

*She*, as you put it, runs the Pricelessware site with commitment and
excellence far beyond the call of duty and, as it happens, *she* happens to
be more dedicated to the cause of Freeware and this newsgroup than you'll
ever be.

But, you'll never realise that so long as you have a hole in your ar*e.

Who runs your old mate's Pricelessware.org site now anyway, pray? (Site
updated Saturday September 04, 2004, I see). Abandoned after you and your
mates threw their teddies out of your collective prams after a (failed)
campaign to try to discredit Susan, if I recall. I've stuck it out here a
lot longer than most, but now, entirely because of you, I'm off. I don't
believe in killfiles.

Times are a-changing, software and licenses are changing, and free software
doesn't always come with a license (English UK spelling) that includes 'I'm
John Corliss and I demand free software on my terms. If you fail to comply
with these demands, do not put this software up on the Internet for
download" Boll**ks to you and your views.

As you are so quick to impress your views on others, I have a view to
impress on you. Change your outdated opinions and inflated opinion of
yourself. Better still, bugger off from ACF, like you did before. I'll
decide what software to use, buy, whatever. I am always willing to take
advice from people, but I will never be bossed about, except by my Father.
As I, I'm very happy to say, are not from your loins, I take no heed from
you, Sir.

People come to this group for friendly help and friendly discussion. It has
been a very long while since you have actually contributed anything to this
newsgroup, except to attempt to moderate and annoy.

Gone. 'Bye All. My loss? You decide.

A very pissed off Tony(UK), off to take his medication and try to calm down.
<mutters about how dare he, bloody this, bloody that>

Aaron

@individual.net:

What a perfect example of unreality. ;) Now can we plueeeeeeeeeeeeeze
get back to discussing Freeware?

over and out. . .

I fully agree. We need to stop JC from going off on his rants..

What did this little vote accomplish anyway? All that electronic ink wasted
on what exactly?

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

"John Jay Smith" <-> wrote in
FYI since this reply to susan was burried in the thread I am
reposting so you can read it.

Now you owe me two.

Caesar Romano

How DARE you bring Susan's good name into this discussion. Was it to get a
reaction? Well, you've got it.

What do you do? Bloody stir up trouble, that's what you do, and you do it in
such a way as to let the (numerous) people who dislike you vent their spleen
and anger, culminating inevitablly in a flame war.

You have that right Tony.

HVS

On 03 May 2006, Tony(UK) wrote

-snip embitteredly snide stuff about Susan from he-who-is-now-a-
non-person-
Oi! Right. Enough is enough, Corliss, you've wound me up now.

How DARE you bring Susan's good name into this discussion. Was
it to get a reaction? Well, you've got it.

-snip excellent stuff by Tony-
People come to this group for friendly help and friendly
discussion. It has been a very long while since you have
actually contributed anything to this newsgroup, except to
attempt to moderate and annoy.
Gone. 'Bye All. My loss? You decide.

Maybe we should decamp to another newsgroup, and let this one
stagnate and wither away like the original pricelessware site has
done.

Susan Bugher

Aaron said:
@individual.net:

Hi Aaron,

Please keep the context if you quote my posts. You're "agreeing" to
something *I* didn't say or imply. My post was a response to this:
Susan, there is no need to be bitter like that....not to me...
I fully agree. We need to stop JC from going off on his rants..

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Andy Mabbett

John Corliss said:
IMO, that she's allowed a toe to be inserted in the door is going to
cause problems for this group down the road.

She hasn't allowed any such thing - nor does she have the remit to allow
or disallow anything on this newsgroup.

John Fitzsimons

John Jay Smith - 02.05.2006 18:14 :
I first saw your first posting here only a few days/weeks ago and can't
remember reading your name before. Miraculous.

* IF * he had been here he would of known a lot more about a guy with
the initials JC and a number of the other "regulars". He would also
have known the answer to a number of the questions he has asked
recently.