invalid boot.ini file / pci.sys missing or corrupt

Can someone please help me out??? ive read through the posts but could not
find a solution to my problem..

When i start up my computer i first get an error saying " invalid boot.ini
file "
it then goes away and finally gives me an error saying " windows could not
start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys "

I have tried running the recovery using the windows xp cd which brings me to
a DOS screen but when i try to access C: drive it gives me a message saying
that it cannont be accessed or something like that.. So i cannot see anything
in C: of the HDD.. i can only access the 2nd partition of the drive

can someone please help me!!! i dont wanna lose all my data . its a 200GB
drive

Thanks

Have you tried to install Windows on another partition/hard drive?
Have you done a Repair Install?
What is on your second partition?
Can you boot to another hard drive or partition on the "problem" computer?

no i havent tried installing windows on another partition.. currently there
is only one partition on the HDD that i can access.. it defaults to c: but
these files im seeing are part of the 2nd partition i had made from before.

i cannot see any of the windows files or mydocuments etc

how would i do a repair install?? i tried putting my winxp SP2 cd in the
drive, loading it and then there are 2 options.. 1 is install windows and 2
is recovery which then takes me to DOS

Thanks

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Actually Repair may not be available since the boot.ini is not correct.
Zoro has two problems, the first is that the boot.ini is not correct or is
not correctly pointing to the OS.
<> > > When i start up my computer i first get an error saying " invalid
boot.ini
<> > > file "
The OS now tries to boot using system defaults(boot drive, windows folder)
c:\windows

the second is the pci.sys file in the \windows\system32\drivers folder.
There may be more problems, but those are the first two mentioned.

When booting to the CD, the repair option is offered if it can find an
existing OS to update.
It uses the boot.ini for it's first check to display the list for the
repair screen, since the boot.ini on Zoro's machine is not valid, the
option may not appear when booting to the CD.

Zoro, boot to Recovery Console and try running bootcfg /rebuild.
This searches the drive and attemps to locate Windows folders to add to the
boot.ini.

You can use the following article for reference
291980 A discussion about the Bootcfg command and its uses
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=291980

There may be more wrong with the OS as well that prevents the "repair"
option from appearing but we have to get the boot.ini correct first.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "=?Utf-8?B?RGl4b25pYW42OQ==?=" <[email protected]>
<Subject: RE: invalid boot.ini file / pci.sys missing or corrupt
<Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:23:02 -0800
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
<
<Should be the option to install windows.
<also, make sure you choose to "repair current installation"!!!!!!!!
<Setup will locate current install. follow procedure carefully.
<
<repair install is what it's called.
<
<http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug9
2.mspx
<
<--
<Dennis S.
<I''m from Illinois. I hope I helped you. Good Luck.
<
<
<"Zoro" wrote:
<
<> no i haven't tried installing windows on another partition.. currently
there
<> is only one partition on the HDD that i can access.. it defaults to c:
but
<> these files im seeing are part of the 2nd partition i had made from
before.
<>
<> i cannot see any of the windows files or mydocuments etc
<>
<> how would i do a repair install?? i tried putting my winxp SP2 cd in the
<> drive, loading it and then there are 2 options.. 1 is install windows
and 2
<> is recovery which then takes me to DOS
<>
<> Thanks
<>
<>
<> "Dixonian69" wrote:
<>
<> > Have you tried to install Windows on another partition/hard drive?
<> > Have you done a Repair Install?
<> > What is on your second partition?
<> > Can you boot to another hard drive or partition on the "problem"
computer?
<> >
<> > --
<> > Dennis S.
<> > I''m from Illinois. I hope I helped you. Good Luck.
<> >
<> >
<> > "Zoro" wrote:
<> >
<> > > Can someone please help me out??? ive read through the posts but
could not
<> > > find a solution to my problem..
<> > >
[...]

thanks for your help Darrell, what you have written seems right regarding the
problems i am having

i tried doing bootcfg /rebuild but it gave me the following error :

error: failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations. This
error may be caused by a corrupt file system which would prevent bootcfg from
successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors.

I then did chkdsk and got an error saying that " found one or more errors on
the volume.

I dont know what to do =S

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
[...]

<From: "=?Utf-8?B?RGl4b25pYW42OQ==?=" <[email protected]>
<Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:23:02 -0800
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
<
<"Zoro" wrote:
<
<> no i haven't tried installing windows on another partition.. currently
there
<> is only one partition on the HDD that i can access.. it defaults to c:
but
<> these files im seeing are part of the 2nd partition i had made from
before.
<>
<> i cannot see any of the windows files or mydocuments etc
<>
<> how would i do a repair install?? i tried putting my winxp SP2 cd in the
<> drive, loading it and then there are 2 options.. 1 is install windows
and 2
<> is recovery which then takes me to DOS
<>
<> Thanks
<>
<>
<> "Dixonian69" wrote:
<>
<> > Have you tried to install Windows on another partition/hard drive?
<> > Have you done a Repair Install?
<> > What is on your second partition?
<> > Can you boot to another hard drive or partition on the "problem"
computer?
<> >
<> > --
<> > Dennis S.
<> > I''m from Illinois. I hope I helped you. Good Luck.
<> >
<> >
<> > "Zoro" wrote:
<> >
[...]

by the way

i just used a winxp cd to boot from which does not contain SP2

i clicked on recovery and then in the dos screen tried to list the c:
directory but it says :

An error occured during directory enumeration.

Thanks Darrell.

I wasn't aware that Setup used boot.ini to determine previous installations.

Thanks again!!
--

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
[...]

<From: "=?Utf-8?B?RGl4b25pYW42OQ==?=" <[email protected]>
<Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:23:02 -0800
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
<
<"Zoro" wrote:
<
<> no i haven't tried installing windows on another partition.. currently
there
<> is only one partition on the HDD that i can access.. it defaults to c:
but
<> these files im seeing are part of the 2nd partition i had made from
before.
<>
<> i cannot see any of the windows files or mydocuments etc
<>
<> how would i do a repair install?? i tried putting my winxp SP2 cd in the
<> drive, loading it and then there are 2 options.. 1 is install windows
and 2
<> is recovery which then takes me to DOS
<>
<> Thanks
<>
<>
<> "Dixonian69" wrote:
<>
<> > Have you tried to install Windows on another partition/hard drive?
<> > Have you done a Repair Install?
<> > What is on your second partition?
<> > Can you boot to another hard drive or partition on the "problem"
computer?
<> >
<> > --
<> > Dennis S.
<> > I''m from Illinois. I hope I helped you. Good Luck.
<> >
<> >
<> > "Zoro" wrote:
<> >
[...]

I appreciate Darrell's help, also.

I would stick with XP SP2 CD.

Run "Recovery Console" again.
run: chkdsk /r

Attached link mentions you may have to run chkdsk more than once.
while in Recovery Console, type: chkdsk /?
this will give you all command switches available.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q187941/

So if you resolve disk read errors, I would then proceed with bootcfg
/rebuild that Darrell mentioned. You can also use switch for: bootcfg /?

Once that is accomplished, should be able to do "Repair Install".

I don't know what you mean by: "I don't know what to do =S".

--

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
[...]

<From: "=?Utf-8?B?RGl4b25pYW42OQ==?=" <[email protected]>
<Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:23:02 -0800
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
<
<"Zoro" wrote:
<
<> no i haven't tried installing windows on another partition.. currently
there
<> is only one partition on the HDD that i can access.. it defaults to c:
but
<> these files im seeing are part of the 2nd partition i had made from
before.
<>
<> i cannot see any of the windows files or mydocuments etc
<>
<> how would i do a repair install?? i tried putting my winxp SP2 cd in the
<> drive, loading it and then there are 2 options.. 1 is install windows
and 2
<> is recovery which then takes me to DOS
<>
<> Thanks
<>
<>
<> "Dixonian69" wrote:
<>
<> > Have you tried to install Windows on another partition/hard drive?
<> > Have you done a Repair Install?
<> > What is on your second partition?
<> > Can you boot to another hard drive or partition on the "problem"
computer?
<> >
<> > --
<> > Dennis S.
<> > I''m from Illinois. I hope I helped you. Good Luck.
<> >
<> >
<> > "Zoro" wrote:
<> >
[...]

Thanks to everyone for your help

I was not able to get my HDD to work on my computer but i am now in the slow
process of transfering files from the bad HDD to another and copying my files
to DVD's

I setup the bad HDD as a secondary drive on my other computer and used a
prog called get data back to access my hard drive and get my files out

I will then reformat the whole drive and get a fresh start