    what does that means? any damage to my HD or mother board?

    any help is appreciated

    thank you

    Maurizio, Sep 29, 2012

  2. Maurizio

    Paul Guest

    Maurizio wrote:
    > Hello:
    > I hed trouble with my win xp installed on my desktop, so I decided to
    > restore an old image that I made with Norton ghost 2003, when finish, at
    > startup I got
    > Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    > system32\drivers\pci.sys
    >
    > so I decided to re-install XP again. when trying that (from my CD), I got :
    > file setupdd.sys could not be loaded, the error is 4?? setup cannot
    > continue. Press any key to exit.
    >
    > what does that means? any damage to my HD or mother board?
    >
    > any help is appreciated
    >
    > thank you

    This article has both pci.sys and setupdd.sys as symptoms.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330181

    But they couldn't specify, in plain English, their theory as to what
    hardware is defective. They seem to be playing with the system RAM DIMMs.
    But they also attempt to remove PCI cards. So either their theory is a
    PCI card is malfunctioning (card not making good contact with slot), or
    that the RAM is not error free.

    One respondent here, claims changing the RAM for some different RAM, helped.
    So based on that feedback, I would work on testing system RAM first.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ror-code/567b4086-afd6-4658-b140-0afcb7cb68f1

    You can test the RAM with memtest86+. Scroll half way down this web
    page, to find the download section.

    http://www.memtest.org/

    If you see errors in memtest, you can test the sticks of RAM one
    at a time, to be certain you have the defective stick under test
    or not. It's pretty hard, in dual channel mode, to decode the
    address information in the memtest screen, and figure out which
    DIMM is defective. Testing one stick at a time, helps positively
    identify the bad one.

    This is not a complete description of all the little tricks
    of memory testing, but I'm hoping you'll see some clear-cut
    positive or negative results right away. And we can go from
    there.

    Memtest will run forever, if given a chance. I try to do at
    least one complete test pass (maybe 20 minutes of testing),
    before trying some other tests. You can test for longer than
    that if you want. Test #5 is pretty good at detecting problems,
    so if you're in a rush, you can move to that test and try it.

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 29, 2012

  3. Maurizio

    Hot-Text Guest

    "Maurizio" <> wrote in message news:k45v0i$78s$...
    > Hello:
    > I hed trouble with my win xp installed on my desktop, so I decided to
    > restore an old image that I made with Norton ghost 2003, when finish, at
    > startup I got
    > Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    > system32\drivers\pci.sys
    >
    > so I decided to re-install XP again. when trying that (from my CD), I got :
    > file setupdd.sys could not be loaded, the error is 4?? setup cannot
    > continue. Press any key to exit.
    >
    > what does that means? any damage to my HD or mother board?
    >
    > any help is appreciated
    >
    > thank you

    You need to setup your Computer tor Boot from CD/DVD Drive..

    Afterwards you can do a repair,
    to your OS, system drivers......
    from the CD/DVD Drive.....

    Hot-Text, Sep 29, 2012